Actual oil capacity 2005.5 Jetta TDI

TDImurse

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI,5spd,Pkg 1,DIGI PD setting "C"
Just looking for some feedback before I change my own oil. The owner's manual says that the crankcase hold 5.1 quarts of oil, but the dealership tells me it's 4.5 quarts. I believe the Bentley manual also says 4.5 or 4.6 quarts. Any insight? Why the discrepancy?:cool:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
Method of change makes it vary slightly. If you're draining by plug and sucking the oil out of the filter housing and cooler, you can probably get ~4.5L out. 4.3L is more likely if you don't plug drain it.

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
First there is a fill amount and there is a change amount. You never get all the oil out so you will have two figures depending on which one you are looking at.

Always fill to the dip stick not to an specified amount.

Bob may be right, that looks like it is close to the difference between metric vs US measure.

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
It is 4.5 QUARTS when drained from below. The 5.1 quarts in the owners manual is wrong.If you drained the oil cooler and filter housing, you may get 5.1 but I dont think so. When I change my oil,(every 5000) I do a back to back flush. ie. 2 oil/filter changes.Change the oil and filter, drive 5 miles, change again,Im anal.
Same with the dsg trans, except I do it every 20,000!
I also noticed the lifters do not tick with the 30 wt. oil, the 40 wt. is too thick in any climate with this incredible cooling system and engine tolerances.

Last edited:

darkscout

Grammar Scout
TDI
2003 Golf
clark246810 said:
It is 4.5 QUARTS when drained from below. The 5.1 quarts in the owners manual is wrong.If you drained the oil cooler and filter housing, you may get 5.1 but I dont think so. When I change my oil,(every 5000) I do a back to back flush. ie. 2 oil/filter changes.Change the oil and filter, drive 5 miles, change again,Im anal.
I also noticed the lifters do not tick with the 30 wt. oil, the 40 wt. is too thick in any climate with this cooling system and engine tolerances.
Some peoples OSA has shown that you get more wear immediately after changing than during optimal lubricating times.

And there's a difference between being anal and being stupid and wasteful. Ask oilhammer how he does oil changes on his 400,000 IDI.

clark246810

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI, DSG Golf Sport Wagon
Ya I read it before.It gives me something to do. I try to remember to attack the performance, not the performer. When I attack the personhood of the person, it makes me look stupid!
Besides, I don't have an IDI.What is an IDI anyway?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
clark246810 said:
I also noticed the lifters do not tick with the 30 wt. oil, the 40 wt. is too thick in any climate with this incredible cooling system and engine tolerances.
LMAO....:rolleyes:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
clark 246810 - 1

You dont really flush your DSG with 5 new liters every 20k, that would be what 22 litres every 40k. Or your engine every 5k, that would be 20 lires every 10k, you are teasing correct. I can understand following ECS and others that a 20k change may be prudent on a DSG, and the first time if you flushed OK maybe you got a real clean start, but every 20k 11 liters.

If you look at my 20k UOA of DSG you would see that 20k changes without flushing is very prudent.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
The A5 paper Bentley specifies 4.3 liters. I measure out 4.3 liters and it has always been perfect on the stick. I measure out 4.5 liters for the ALH and that too is always perfect. Mind you, I have a lift for level drain and I always extract oil from the oil filter housing. Later!

E-Z Wood

Veteran Member
clark246810 said:

first of all can i say that if your lifters are ticking you are going too long between oil changes. second of all i live in arizona where it is not uncommon for high's in the summer to be in the high 110's, and i can verify that being a HVAC technician. and if that doesn't call for a little thicker oil, I don't know what does, and besides i'm not a fan of the new 5-30. I personally think that if an engine was designed to use a certain weight then it was told that the engine calls for a new oil... i don't think so blow smoke up someone else's rear. speaking of, has anyone had a UOA of the new slx compared to the txt? and just my$0.02 my 06 pd takes 4 quarts and it's to the top of the skinny portion between full and a quart low. but maybe that has to do with the thicker oil that i use...lol

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
E-Z Wood said:
first of all can i say that if your lifters are ticking you are going too long between oil changes. second of all i live in arizona where it is not uncommon for high's in the summer to be in the high 110's, and i can verify that being a HVAC technician. and if that doesn't call for a little thicker oil, I don't know what does, and besides i'm not a fan of the new 5-30. I personally think that if an engine was designed to use a certain weight then it was told that the engine calls for a new oil... i don't think so blow smoke up someone else's rear. speaking of, has anyone had a UOA of the new slx compared to the txt? and just my$0.02 my 06 pd takes 4 quarts and it's to the top of the skinny portion between full and a quart low. but maybe that has to do with the thicker oil that i use...lol
As mentioned by others before, there is more to an oil specification than the weight rating.
Please watch the language, this is a family site. Also your 06 takes 4.5 liters for a full change including the filter.

Bill

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
I just did an oil change from the bottom yesterday and the fill took 4.3 liters.

Mach1

TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
I use 0-30W Elf CRV and am up to a 20000 OC interval, There is more to weights then temperature only, In Texas it only gets up to 108 last year. If the oil is not matained its film strength, try another oil.

It really doesn't matter how much oil the engine takes, What matters to me is to get as much out as possible and refill with fresh oil. Dont change the oil TOO often.

There are WAY TOO many variables to how much it takes/gets drained, pre fluid level, how much gets drained, what level it is refilled to and other things determine how much gets added.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Mach 1 you have PD's use CRV - have you ever UOA on either of these units. If they are posted could you give me a link. If you cant post them maybe email to me - I collect UOA's, I'm married with children. :)

Mach1

TDI
Dell, I had a OA at 15000 and they said go to 20000 OCI, The iron was around 72ppm, everything else was great...

I will have to dig it up...

I just bought a case of CRV, because I have had such good luck with it..

Mach1

TDI
Just got my OA back from last OC, 05.5 Jetta TDI-65K Total 15K OC Interval.
cu=4
iron=76
ch=2
al=10
PB=2
Moly=1
Phos=1283
Zn=1428
Mag=282
Cal=3327
antif=.0
fuel=N
H2O=.0
Silicon=4
Vis=10.76
SAE=30
sulphur=11
Oxid=18
Nitration=13
Soot=.5%

I dont like the Iron that elevated..I dont think there is any Moly in this oil? Does AL seem a little high?

Here is my post from back a ways..

Mach1

TDI
Wj, if you search back through my posts, you can find the post I made in the luberciants section, I had 76 ppm iron, which would put me a 100ppm iron on a 20000 OCI.

Hope this helps you and yes, I like the oil, one day I will pull the rocker cover and see how they look.

Herr Schneider

TDI
2006 Jetta
Did my 10K service today and put in 4.5 qts, but with that crazy dipstick I still can't tell exactly where the oil level is. Why can't they build a flat dipstick like everybody else that you could read easily?

Got a couple questions about oil changes.

1) Does anybody else use the large aluminum casting directly behind the
engine to jack / lift the front end? Sure makes it easier than jacking
each side individually.
2) I can't seem to remove the factory washer that was installed on the
drain plug. Are you suppose to cut it off? The replacement washer
will slip right on.
3) Is the filter suppose to "snap" into the plastic cap?

Thanks

scknight

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI 6MT
Herr S..

#3 yes
#2 my dealer charges like $1.50 for that plug with the washer on it, I just chuck the old one.
#1 I am no mechanic, I dont even play one on TV or the internet- but I wouldnt jack my car up by anything aluminum.

dipstick is horrible to read, little easier with a flashlight though.