Factory Repair Manual or Service Manual???

Kevin_McC

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2003. Silver
I'm looking for advice on which Bentley manual is better for someone who would like to tackle most repair and maintenance jobs. Can anyone describe the key differences between the two?

dieselt

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 2000, green
Bentley Service Manual....it covers almost everything in the "service" and "repair" area.

I can't comment on the "Factory Repair Manual", because I have never used one, but I have a helluva library of Bentleys that have served me well.

djmeier1

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2002, Black
It seems to me that I read (perhaps at the Ross-Tech web site) that the factory repair manual can be trusted to carry all vag-com code interpretation material,whereas the service manual may be deficient in that regard. I don't have time, now, to research. Hope I'm not sending you on a wild goose chase, but there is a destinction that favors the factory repair manual. And, it has to do with completeness of information as relates to use of the vag-com. Please post what you may find.
I presume you are aware that registered Ross-Tech vag-com users get some kind of price break by buying Bentley materials through Ross-Tech.

TDI66

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI 5spd
Slightly off topic, but just slightly.
Does anyone have an opinion on which they prefer, the Bentley Soft Cover or the Bentley CD service manuals? The CD would be convenient, but is it hard to navigate?
Opinions?