trouble starting

Newkirk

TDI
2012 Golf
Hi everyone,

My 2012 Golf with 53K miles has been having some troubles starting since about the beginning of December, and I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar situation. The problem usually occurs if the car has been sitting for 2 or more days, and is usually worse the longer it sits. When I go to start the car, it turns over several times (anywhere from about 1 to 4 seconds) before it finally starts. At first I thought it was the battery (it's the original battery), so I monitored it with a multimeter and the charge would drop from about 75% after driving to 50% or sometimes even 25% after a few days. I don't think the battery should lose charge that quickly, but again, the car always started. It also doesn't have anything to do with the temperature, because the weather here has been quite warm (60s and 70s), and sometimes it has started just fine when it's been colder (in the 40s). And I always wait for the glow plug light to go off, by the way. The problem doesn't happen every time either. Sometimes it will sit for 3 days and start just fine, and other times it has trouble after 1 day, though it usually is worse the longer it sits.

Now I'm fairly certain it's not the battery. When I went to start it yesterday (after 3 days of sitting and about 68 degrees), it turned over for a long time and didn't start at all (first time that happened). After turning over for a few seconds, there was a high-pitched chime (like the service signal) that went off about 3 or 4 consecutive times. No CEL, and I don't think there was a message on the display, but it all happened very quickly. I got out and checked the battery, which was at 12.25 volts, so I knew the battery had a charge. I tried it again and it started right up, like nothing had happened. I've also never had the problem at all during a trip, only after it has sat at least overnight.

Any ideas what this could be? I find it strange that there is no CEL, and otherwise the car runs just fine.

Thanks in advance for your help!