I am fu** - HPFP just went

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Title says it all, 130,000 miles car would not start last week, replaced the Battery did not help, towed it to my indie, fuel pump is dead, car has one replaced around 72,000 miles which VW paid for, not sure what my options are at the moment but a stiff drink is looking pretty good right now.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
ouch

part of the question is if you plan to keep the car, or sell it back.

either way, you are looking at an extensive repair bill.

sandmansans

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta
Title says it all, 130,000 miles car would not start last week, replaced the Battery did not help, towed it to my indie, fuel pump is dead, car has one replaced around 72,000 miles which VW paid for, not sure what my options are at the moment but a stiff drink is looking pretty good right now.:mad::mad::mad::mad:
****. So sorry to hear that. May I ask what station did you fill up at and is there one that you normally use? I'm not accusing you but me personally I avoid the ameri gas, delta and the other bargain price fill stations scattered all over nj. 2 failed hpfp is crazy! I would honestly call a lemon law attorney. One thing that nj does right and frankly better than any other state, is consumer protection when it comes to cars. They collect their fee from the opposing party so you don't have to pay them anything.
Check your pm I just sent you the number of the firm that I used.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW with DSG, Panoroof, rear air bags and the always fun velcro blocks, Blue with beige int
Car is going back , 2 HPPF failures, cracked DPF and a bunch of other crap, I really love the car and have no idea what to replace it with, but I have no faith in it.

ouch

part of the question is if you plan to keep the car, or sell it back.

either way, you are looking at an extensive repair bill.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
well, then you have to fix it.

either a DIY or pay a shop or the local dealer.

I trust you have run the numbers for what VW will pay for the car, so you have a top end for how much you can pay to fix the car.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
I use mostly hess, and BP on occasion a Exxon dealer.

****. So sorry to hear that. May I ask what station did you fill up at and is there one that you normally use? I'm not accusing you but me personally I avoid the ameri gas, delta and the other bargain price fill stations scattered all over nj. 2 failed hpfp is crazy! I would honestly call a lemon law attorney. One thing that nj does right and frankly better than any other state, is consumer protection when it comes to cars. They collect their fee from the opposing party so you don't have to pay them anything.
Check your pm I just sent you the number of the firm that I used.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Well either way I will have to fix it, so I throw a good amount of cash ( no idea yet first guess from a indie 5K , which I know will not happen) to give a car back to VW who will turn around and crush it, what a waste.:mad:

well, then you have to fix it.

either a DIY or pay a shop or the local dealer.

I trust you have run the numbers for what VW will pay for the car, so you have a top end for how much you can pay to fix the car.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
things happen in our short lives. (just a context here. much worst and much better things are likely to happen to each of us)

just run the numbers, and make a decision.

You really do not have to fix it.

there are charities who will come and drag it away and give you a slip to use on your taxes (which may or may not save you any money)

McGuirk

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 TDI
I have a cp4 pump from a 2012 jsw available. Was pulled out to swap it with a cp3. Let me know if your interested.

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
If you can turn a wrench, you can easily fix this for $1k or less on your own, especially if you put a used pump in. There is a thread on here about the procedure and it doesn't seem that bad.

icedt

TDI
2011 JSW
I've got an OEM pump I got off ebay just in case, new, opened, and inspected, but never installed or used. I'm interested in selling this, since I don't have a use for it.

From the original ebay description:
"Up For sale is a Brand New HPFP for a CR TDI 2.0 Engine. This includes all Audi and VW "clean diesel" 2.0 TDI engines. Please verify your part before bidding. I bought this to replace the one in my 2010 Jetta TDI but the work was covered under warranty and the claim took longer than the 30 return policy for this part. I am now stuck with it. I paid over $950 for this pump new from Bosch and am only looking to recoup some of my money. Because of the nature of the install of this part, I can guarantee it is new and in working condition but cannot accept returns and is being sold AS IS. The price reflects this. If there were to be an issue with it, the Bosch warranty would apply and that can be found on their website to see if the fault were to be covered. Please contact me with any questions or concerns. Happy Bidding! Shipping will be free to all Continental US orders. International bidders please contact me through messaging, because I would prefer not to ship internationally. "

PM me if you'd like more info.

-Andrew

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
Well either way I will have to fix it, so I throw a good amount of cash ( no idea yet first guess from a indie 5K , which I know will not happen) to give a car back to VW who will turn around and crush it, what a waste.:mad:
The dealer price was only $5000 for mine back at 40,000 miles. The service manager showed me the bill before they sent it off for warranty pay. How can an independent be the same price?

Donald

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
When VW did my first one, the bill was about $4700 and that was not for one that exploded and took everything w it, they just replaced the pump and nothing behind it, my indie said to do it correctly everything should be replaced including fuel tank which was not done before, I will not be going this route and am hoping to replace the pump and the bare minimum to get it running. His quote was to do it right.

The dealer price was only $5000 for mine back at 40,000 miles. The service manager showed me the bill before they sent it off for warranty pay. How can an independent be the same price?

Donald

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Sadly I can not turn a wrench and do not have garage space.

If you can turn a wrench, you can easily fix this for $1k or less on your own, especially if you put a used pump in. There is a thread on here about the procedure and it doesn't seem that bad.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
That is true and with your thinking no one has to turn in their car, they could just scap it and save the environment, I will take about a 33% hit on my TDI settlement by fixing it and a 100% hit if I do not, but you are right most of the world has much bigger problems and I try to keep this in mind.

things happen in our short lives. (just a context here. much worst and much better things are likely to happen to each of us)

just run the numbers, and make a decision.

You really do not have to fix it.

there are charities who will come and drag it away and give you a slip to use on your taxes (which may or may not save you any money)

stoner-tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta sportwagen
If mine goes out I plan to simply just replace just enough to get the car running which will hopefully be just the hpfp and drive to turn it in... as long as it driven in right? Lol

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
When VW did my first one, the bill was about $4700 and that was not for one that exploded and took everything w it, they just replaced the pump and nothing behind it, my indie said to do it correctly everything should be replaced including fuel tank which was not done before, I will not be going this route and am hoping to replace the pump and the bare minimum to get it running. His quote was to do it right.
They cleaned the tank and lines, but replaced everything else. I saw the bill....It was $5000. Maybe that was warranty prices.

Donald

Terry270

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf, 10 A3
If mine goes out I plan to simply just replace just enough to get the car running which will hopefully be just the hpfp and drive to turn it in... as long as it driven in right? Lol

Exactly.

OP buy a used pump and install it just before you give the car back. No need to replace anything else just get it running enough to make it there with its own power.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
ugh, so sorry to read this thread. good luck Seth. I like Terry's idea ^

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
p.s. I went to my dealer over the weekend and drove a '17 Alltrack. It was nice, but the engine had no pep. With all the things I added to my SW, the only thin missing is the higher springs. I am planning on keeping my SW until fall of 2018, hopefully they can convince the lot of us to trade in for a new SW.

seth1065

Veteran Member
TDI
Update time, my TDI is back in VW hands as of yesterday, I picked it up from my indie w my "new " HPFP and systems ready to go, it was 16 miles from my indie shop to the dealer and my goal when my 2 HPFP went was $100 bucks a mile and I made it. I had put in a donated used HPFP ( thanks Ken) and used injectors my indie bought for me. Mike from M&M auto in Montague NJ did the work and did a great job. I did not replace the fuel tank and not sure if the pump in the tank was replaced. total cost was around $1200 and that is w a donated HPFP, Got to admit I was a little nervous making the drive, had to jump the car as the new batt. I bought in Oct I took out and put in a old one I had around the house , but IT made it, I drove the whole way with the pano roof open in 25 degree weather but it was a blast one last drive w the roof open, even my cracked DPF light was not on! So ends my TDI ownership. Huge shout out to everyone who helped me with this ordeal, Mike from M&M, Mcguirk who offered to sell me used injectors, who I hope I convinced him to put his car back into service and take the buy out, and esp Ksing44 who donated me the pump, I will lurk on the board from time to time but to all peace.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
Wow donations? Thats truly Amazing help from the community, I wouldnt see this anywhere else.

amstel78

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI [buyback completed 14/1/2017] 2006 S65 AMG
Update time, my TDI is back in VW hands as of yesterday, I picked it up from my indie w my "new " HPFP and systems ready to go, it was 16 miles from my indie shop to the dealer and my goal when my 2 HPFP went was $100 bucks a mile and I made it. I had put in a donated used HPFP ( thanks Ken) and used injectors my indie bought for me. Mike from M&M auto in Montague NJ did the work and did a great job. I did not replace the fuel tank and not sure if the pump in the tank was replaced. total cost was around $1200 and that is w a donated HPFP, Got to admit I was a little nervous making the drive, had to jump the car as the new batt. I bought in Oct I took out and put in a old one I had around the house , but IT made it, I drove the whole way with the pano roof open in 25 degree weather but it was a blast one last drive w the roof open, even my cracked DPF light was not on! So ends my TDI ownership. Huge shout out to everyone who helped me with this ordeal, Mike from M&M, Mcguirk who offered to sell me used injectors, who I hope I convinced him to put his car back into service and take the buy out, and esp Ksing44 who donated me the pump, I will lurk on the board from time to time but to all peace.

Glad Mike took care of you. He's good people. He did the timing belt on my Golf last year. Just recently, I had him replace all the serpentine belt pulleys, tensioner, water pump, and fan clutch on my Ford Expedition cuz I didn't have all the tools (or patience) to do it myself. He did a good job at a fair price.

I'm dreading to tell him I just picked up an S65 AMG though as a replacement for the Golf. I can just see the look on his face now... :eek: