Recommendation for Good Model year - Jetta Sportwagen

usra_mikado

TDI
none at this time - looking to buy
Hello,

Just recently joined the TDI Club. I did search for this thread, but could'nt find any responses to this question.

So, I am thinking hard about buying a post-emission scandal Jetta Sportwagen TDI. There are a bunch with less than 40k miles all ranging from 2011-2014 model years.

Any advice as what might be the better years to look at? Yes, I have read the posts about rust and other problems that might plague these buy back vehicles.

Thanks everyone! ~ Jeff

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
2015's have less problems than 2011-2014. If it were me I'd look for a 2015 unless you find a really nice 2011-2014 for cheap with low miles.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Here's the breakdown in models:
2009 - referred to as the MKV model
2010-14 Updated front sheet metal and dash from the 09 - sometimes referred to as a MKV.5 model
2015 Complete upgrade with the biggest change being the utilization of DEF - referred to as an MKVII model. Also marketed as a Golf Sportswagen.

If I were in the market, I'd start looking for a 15. If you don't find something that fits your needs and wallet, then start looking at 10-14. Go with the lowest mileage and best shape of those.

gearheadgrrrl

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf DSG, '13 JSW DSG surrendered to VW, '03 Golf 2 door manual
Agreed that the '15 wagon is the best. I bought a new '13 Jetta Sportswagen, nice car but MPG was stuck in the high 30s, especially in winter, and too many regens. Sold it back to VW and bought one of the embargoed '15 Golfs, have to work at it to get less than 40 MPG and at 20,000 miles I finally experienced a parked regen... I think.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
But they have the most expensive parts for a TB job by a long shot. No aftermarket available.

carsaremytoys

Veteran Member
TDI
01 Jetta TDI 5MT, 05 Passat wagon TDI 5MT
I know you are asking about TDIs and I'm certainly a fan, but with all the added emissions, I'll stick with my older ALH diesel wise.
If you are seeking good mileage look at the golf sportwagen. New for 19 you can get the 1.4t. I've driven it in the Jetta and was a better engine than the sportwagen golf with the 1.8t.
Jetta is rated at 40 hwy while the sportwagen at 37. These are only estimates and you should see well into the 40s, there is only about 80ell bees difference. Regular gas as well. Dealer tells me they can get it out the door for $20. Tough to beat for a brand new car.
These are manual trans versions I speak of, and are hard to come by...