Appeal money return process

cavymeister

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium
We got our packet from VW today and my wife noticed a section and appeals.

The documentation states: "VW will begin the program immediately, and will not wait for appeals, if any, are resolved before providing benefits"

I'm assuming that VW will try for a better deal. If they appeal and determine that VW doesn't have to pay as much, do you think that owners that have already done the buy-back will need to pay back a portion of the money they have already received?

BuyMeBackSoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 golf
No. Probably would be appealing fines,etc. if you agree to a settlement I don't see how you can appeal it.

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
We got our packet from VW today and my wife noticed a section and appeals.
The documentation states: "VW will begin the program immediately, and will not wait for appeals, if any, are resolved before providing benefits"
I'm assuming that VW will try for a better deal. If they appeal and determine that VW doesn't have to pay as much, do you think that owners that have already done the buy-back will need to pay back a portion of the money they have already received?
Can't speak of 'buy back' in past tense. It hasn't happened yet. But you make a good point. If VW wins an appeal 2020, I'd love to see how they are going to get $$$ back from anyone.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Can't speak of 'buy back' in past tense. It hasn't happened yet. But you make a good point. If VW wins an appeal 2020, I'd love to see how they are going to get $$$ back from anyone.

If you read the actual court settlement documents it specifically says that VW can't go after money it already gave to people in buybacks/restitution money even if the settlement is later changed/revoked on appeal or whatever (those are my words but there was a section in there that dealt with this).

cavymeister

TDI
2014 Jetta Premium
If you read the actual court settlement documents it specifically says that VW can't go after money it already gave to people in buybacks/restitution money even if the settlement is later changed/revoked on appeal or whatever (those are my words but there was a section in there that dealt with this).
Is there a specific section you found that in? I'll hunt it down, but if you have it handy, I'd greatly appreciate it.

chadbag

Veteran Member
TDI
2x 2013 JSW (1 manual BOUGHT BACK 12/20/16, 1 DSG BOUGHT BACK 1/14/17), Audi A3 e-tron gas-plugin-hybrid, gas Volvo V60
Is there a specific section you found that in? I'll hunt it down, but if you have it handy, I'd greatly appreciate it.
I don't remember where as I read through the docs when they were first available and have not looked at them since, sorry. But it was specifically called out that already completed buybacks/restitution payments were not undoable even if the settlement was changed on appeal, etc.

BPofMD

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE
I too, read that same thing. There are SOOO many threads concerning the settlement that we haven't a clue where we saw things!