Pesky Engine light after major repair

prepilot_3ck

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey everyone,

This is my first post here. I'm looking for a new home for information regarding my 2003 Jetta TDi Wagon. I have forums for my RV and my Land Rover, but now I need a home for my VW. I hope this is it. I'm on my 5th VW, always bought new with warranty etc, but this time... I got a 2003 Tdi with 250K on it. So I'm going to need some community help.

Here's my situation.

I picked up a 2003 VW Jetta Wagon from a local used car dealer. Body is in GREAT shape, it looks brand new. Almost no rust, no paint issues (standing back a few yards), interior is.. appropriately worn for 226K miles (when I got it) etc. I think I paid $5K for it. The only thing I wasn't excited about was the auto trans, but whatever. It's my commuter, I'm not too worried about it. The trans slipped quite a bit too, when it was hot outside, but I dealt with that and figured I'd just replace it when I had time/money to do so.

I've had it about 1 year now, and added about 25K miles to it, mostly highway. I drive 60 miles round trip to work, and I make monthly trips to Chicago and Milwaukee with it (500 round trips). It's been great. Best $5K I ever spent. Anyway, about a month ago, the turbo blew up and dumped all my oil and then the engine broke. I took it to a local repair shop that I like/trust/etc. and they swap the engine, turbo and while they had it opened up I asked them to replace the trans too. Done. All used, but new(er) than what I had in there. A week later I pick the car up and it runs great. No dash lights, trans feels good, it's got more power than it's ever had. The tubro REALLY whines, but MUCH louder than the last one, but there's plenty of power.

The second round trip to work, I'm coming home, and the engine light comes on, and the engine bogs down. It's like someone put a governor on it or something. RPMs come up, but it hesitates to shift, and there is no power to the wheels. Peddle to the floor, the engine at 4K RPM and I'm barely moving. Eventually the trans shifts, but it's just not going. I can still hear the turbo whining, so it appears to be engaged.

I take it back in to the shop, the next day I get it back and they had replaced the Mass Air Flow sensor. Great. Drove it to work the next day and it was great. 2nd day, same problem. Engine light, no power, shifting hesitates, etc.

I take it back in. "Thermostat is stuck, we cleaned it up, it's good now".

The next day, same problem. I take it back and say, "have another car, keep it as long as it takes." They replace a temp sensor, and drive it for a week as a parts runner car or something. They put like 200 miles on it" They call me and say it's ready. I show up, and my car isn't there. The mechanic says, "right after we called you, it started doing it again. We'd like to hand on to it for a few more days".

They replace another sensor or something and put another 200 miles on it. I pick it up last night and drive it home. I noticed the trans/power thing again, but no engine light. Well, this morning on my way to work, I wasn't even 3 miles from my house and the light came back on and I was crawling again. I'm taking it back in tonight.

Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be? Is the noticeably loud whine from the turbo significant? Could that be hooked up wrong? Is there anything else anyone can thing of that I might suggest to the repair shop? The engine codes seem to always be sensor related, temp,air flow,etc. but I don't know specifically. They have suggested it might be something with the ECU. They haven't charged me a dime for the past month or so of work since the engine/trans replacement so that's been nice. However, suggesting the ECU (or something not related to the engine/trans replacement) is going to start costing me. So, before they start throwing more parts at it, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Brian

flatlanded

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
It's nearly impossible to know much without having the code it was throwing.

Shot in the dark, check fuses 32 and 34. Also re-seat the injection pump connection, they can get a little fussy when they've been removed and/or clips have been broken. When it loses power, does it sound a lot louder with a more "clackity" injection sound?

That shop you took it to worries me a little as well...

prepilot_3ck

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
It's nearly impossible to know much without having the code it was throwing.
I hear ya. They gave me a description of the code(s) but I don't remember the exact verbiage. I'll post it, if I can get it out of them. I'm sure they don't want me second guessing them (as I wouldn't if I was in the same situation)

Shot in the dark, check fuses 32 and 34. Also re-seat the injection pump connection, they can get a little fussy when they've been removed and/or clips have been broken.
Ohh.. I'll check the fuses. Is the injection pump connector something I can get to myself without too much trouble?

When it loses power, does it sound a lot louder with a more "clackity" injection sound?
Hmm.. I didn't notice. When I run out for lunch I'll listen more closely.
[/QUOTE]

That shop you took it to worries me a little as well...
It's hard to say. They are a big name in this area (small chain, 5 stores I think). They do a lot of diesel motors, (mostly those sprinter vans), and I see a lot of VW's in their lot. They run/appear to be, a 1st class shop, but you never know. They've been good to me in the past, so at THIS point I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. If they start charging me for this extra work, I'm going to pull it and take it to the dealer. If I'm going to pay someone, I might as well pay certified VW mechanics.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try those few items. A connector seems to make sense though. They had been driving it all day doing parts runs and stuff to test it out (with my permission/suggestion), and it was working great. They ran it through their car wash right before I picked it up, and within a mile it was acting up again. Water in a sloppy/broken connector seems to be likely cause.

Brian

kyle_h

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI Execline R-Line
Could be a boost leak? You said louder turbo sound and loss of power but as mentioned hard to tell without knowing the codes

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...

prepilot_3ck

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

prepilot_3ck

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Could be a boost leak? You said louder turbo sound and loss of power but as mentioned hard to tell without knowing the codes

Sent from my iPhone using the Tapatalk app, so that explains the typos...
Yeah, it's a loud whistle/whine, that changes when I press the throttle or the engine is under load (like a hill). Could that cause the engine light and what feels like some sort of "restricted" mode or something? Shop says the sound it normal, and with a used turbo, sometimes they are louder, but everything tested/checked out OK. *sigh* I wish I knew more about these things so I knew whether to call B.S. or not, ya know?

Thanks!
Brian

jessabug

Veteran Member
TDI
Hubby's 2001 Jetta TDI, '84 IDI turbo diesel Jetta
Any auto parts store will be able to pull codes for you. What you want are actual code numbers, not just the descriptions. Get the code numbers and it will be easier for us to help you out.

waltzconmigo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
x2^ you could try contacting someone on this list if these anyone nearby and get the codes for the cost of a quality six-pack. ask your shop for the VAGCOM codes, if they are not using VAGCOM, call the dealership and ask what it will cost you to have them pull the codes. your best bet will probably be to purchase a cable yourself if you plan on owning the car for any amount of time.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=...055,86.572266&z=4&iwloc=000492ce69bc1ee2eac43

prepilot_3ck

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
x2^ you could try contacting someone on this list if these anyone nearby and get the codes for the cost of a quality six-pack. ask your shop for the VAGCOM codes, if they are not using VAGCOM, call the dealership and ask what it will cost you to have them pull the codes. your best bet will probably be to purchase a cable yourself if you plan on owning the car for any amount of time.

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=...055,86.572266&z=4&iwloc=000492ce69bc1ee2eac43
I might do that. I have no plans to get rid of this car. It's practically a perfect vehicle for what I need.

Thanks,
Brian

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Your car is going into "limp mode". Most likely from miss adjusted or sticking VNT actuator or vanes. The shop has no idea what they are doing...

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Your car is going into "limp mode". Most likely from miss adjusted or sticking VNT actuator or vanes. The shop has no idea what they are doing...
I'd agree, sounds like turbo overboosting.....ECM goes into limp mode.

Could be that vacume lines were improperly re-connected.
.....or any number of other things.
we need codes.