Question about intake manifold bolts

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon
Do I need to get the intake manifold bolts from VW/one of the online stores, or are hardware store bolts fine?

I'm looking at doing the EGR delete because I think one of the pipes is leaking and was going to split the manifold to pull the butterfly valves when I do it.

Thanks

UFO

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle
Do your intake bolts need replacing? Unless you have a reason for using different bolts, it's best to stick with OEM type, so if you are getting new hardware, get the right ones.

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
You could just use bolts from the hardware store, if you can find them.

Why don't you just use the ones you have? Are you expecting the heads to strip out or something?

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
Junk Hardware

You could just use bolts from the hardware store, if you can find them.....
Hardware store bolts are low grade steel and very prone to rust. Do not use that junk to service anything on your car.
This is an easy way to create a nightmare later down the road.

Voluble

TDI
04 BEW Jetta Wagon
I haven't started to tackle the project yet, I thought I read somewhere to change out the bolts whenever you take them off. Maybe that was for a different component, or maybe something not on this car at all.

Thanks all for your answers

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
The bolts are so awkward to get at, and easily stripped that it just makes sense to replace them if you take the manifold out. I won't clean a manifold without replacing the bolts.

Cheapo insurance

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
Hardware store bolts are low grade steel and very prone to rust. Do not use that junk to service anything on your car.
This is an easy way to create a nightmare later down the road.
I meant proper bolts from the hardware store, of course. Class 8.8 metric socket head cap screws.

That’s why I said “If you can find them,” because I know some hardware stores won’t have the right bolts. Some do though.

Last edited: