Creaking sound from FR Strut on 2011 Sportwagen

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
In April I pulled and replaced the struts/shocks/springs/strut mount assemblies on our 2011 TDI Sportwagen. Installed were Koni yellow struts, Golf R springs and new Audi TT strut mounts and bearings.

Drove the car for ~2000 miles (highway road trip to Moab and back), then shortly after I got back I started to hear a creaking sound from the passenger strut area. It is most noticeable at low speeds (road noise might be covering it up at neighbourhood speeds) and I definitely hear it when I dry steer in reverse to back my car into my driveway. It sounds something like a groaning or creaking and when I sit in the passenger seat its louder. When I'm in the passenger seat I'm not sure if its coming from the floorboards or higher up (i.e. strut mount vs. sway bar mount). I've tried snugging up the nut inside the strut mount but its not moving, at least with my ghetto deep 22mm socket with vice grips and 1/4 drive 11mm socket through the 22mm socket. I don't think I've heard any clunking yet.

Thoughts on next steps to trouble shoot (I haven't had a chance to pull the wheel yet and crawl underneath) - if it was the strut mount what is the failure mode? When I spun the upper mount nut without holding the shaft, I could create a similar creaking sound. Conversely, if it was the sway bar mounts, why would it creak when I'm trying to steer at low speeds?

Thanks,

John

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
just to play captain obvious, but did you install the strut mounts with the arrows facing forward? Im not even real sure what this does, but all the ones I have put in have a direction of installation.

Petra's cousin

TDI
Mk VI TDI Golf Wagon
Pretty sure I did but it’s been 2 months since I did the work so I don’t remember specifically (I do remember it in the guide I was using).

J

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
The trailing arm bushing will squeak and eventually clunk. I know I have replaced them on my 2002 and the 2011 is a little different but the same style bushing.

Wilkins

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 5sp, 10 Sportwagen 6MT
Any possibility it is related to the sway bar? Disconnect the link on passenger side, drive around and see if noise is gone. I think I have read of other people with a problem that turned out to be sway bar links, plus I had a rear sway bar link problem after changing shocks, but that was more of a click/ rattle than a groan. The. car will handle a bit different without the bar but only about halfway to a Hyundai.

What do you think of the strut mounts? I recently installed S3 LCR bushings, harder top mounts and Bilsteins. I’m not sure if the small bump/frost crack/expansion joint compliance isn’t a bit harsh at lower speeds, although it is fine once above 40 mph. I also suspect the car wants a bit more toe-in because of the stiffer LCRs. Not quite as relaxed at highway speeds because it reacts very quickly to steering inputs with toe-in right in the middle of the specs.

Rig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta TDI, 210k miles
Sway bar links, very likely. Check to see that the top and bottom nuts are actually tight and that they are not worn out. You would hear creaks and pops when you are going on a nice, smooth, level pavement and steering the wheels back and forth. If those lock nuts are tight, then they may be worn out inside the rubber boot. A long shot--you may also have a bent sway bar that holds the links at a bad angle, or bad sway bar mounts, as you suspected. All those will creak when you turn or roll over bumps.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
would end links grown when parked and just turning the wheel?

easy enough to disconnect and see if the noise goes away.

My old 2010 sedan (same platform as the JSW) had what I think sway bar bushing or end links creaking when temps were under 20 degrees and i went over rail road tracks, was silent at warmer temps.

Wascally Wabbit

TDI
2010 TDI
would end links grown when parked and just turning the wheel?

easy enough to disconnect and see if the noise goes away.

My old 2010 sedan (same platform as the JSW) had what I think sway bar bushing or end links creaking when temps were under 20 degrees and i went over rail road tracks, was silent at warmer temps.
Not likely. It is most likely your strut mount. Check and make sure everything is still tight. Perhaps a bolt has loosened a bit. The groaning is the spring moving slightly as you turn the wheel. This is a very common problem on the MK6 when you change out the suspension or as the bearings and bushings wear out. Could be loose or just the way it is. I replaced mine for the TT mounts as well because they were doing exactly what you describe but really bad. Turned out the bearing had busted. Completely fell apart when I pulled the spring from the strut. Also turn the wheel all the way to one side and grab the spring. Try and shake it really hard and see if it moves at all.

Last edited: