Shell V Power Diesel

Steve Clark

TDI
2012 Wagon
There is a Shell station where I can buy V Power Diesel. Some say I can get better fuel economy for 2-3 cents more per litre.

What does TDI Club say?

WutGas?

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last Real Jetta Sedan
As with a lot of threads about things that go in the fuel tank, there will be varying thoughts on whether it's worth it. Depending on what fuel you were using, it could be worth it to use the Shell if it is really better than what you have been using. If you do the math and actually get better fuel economy, that 2-3 cents more per litre will actually be cheaper in the long run. That being said, is the fuel you were using really worse?

I'd run a couple tanks and see if your economy goes up. If it does, you have your answer.

REDNECKDZL

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta, 2015 Jetta, 1984 Wabbit TD, 1986 RX7 waiting on AHU swap
I run it just cause im a sucker for air miles

Like craig said there are a bunch of discussion about fuel, best do a search and make your own mind up

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
I flip back & forth between Shell V Power diesel & Husky Diesel Max. The Diesel Max is premium diesel at regular prices. I pay $1.279 for Diesel Max. Shell V-Power is $1.339 and I only get it if its more convenient at the time I need fuel, plus Airmiles.

skatanic

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf 450k
About 2 years ago in Hamilton I know that Shell (at least at this particular station) only had one underground tank for diesel and would add an additive called nemo 2061 at the pump for the shell v power diesel. Mixed at a ratio of 4L of additive to 4700L of fuel.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Personally I still wish we had Gold Diesel around.
Most of my fuel for several years came from the Sunoco at Waubeshene or the Husky at 88. I have records for about 80 tanks (roughly 40 of each), and there was no difference in mileage between Gold and regular. I can't say I noticed a difference in performance either.

I'm getting the same results since Waubeshene went Esso, too,

Simon

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
There is a Shell station where I can buy V Power Diesel. Some say I can get better fuel economy for 2-3 cents more per litre.
What does TDI Club say?
You should fill your every other tank from there and keep meticulous records.

Report back as soon as you have sufficient data. (say... about 10,000 miles or kilometers, your choice.) :D

The only way to tell about any particular station.... is to try the fuel from that particular station.:cool:

Bill

yatzee

Top Post Dawg
TDI
see sig
I too get the best economy from Esso, but I've given up being picky about fuel. I will always fill up somewhere where they move a lot of volume, but with a .15c/l price spread around here, I end up at cheapest place. I change my fuel filter at 32k as per the book and have never once had an issue in any of the diesels.

Purch

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI 6spd
I personally didn't see an increase in fuel economy with V-Power. Where I filled up it was 6-7cents more/Litre than reg diesel.

I've had great results with PetroCanada, the one by my house is brand new and there is quite a lot of traffic. On top of that, I get 7cents off per Litre with my MasterCard :D, so roughly $0.14/L cheaper than v-power.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
About 2 years ago in Hamilton I know that Shell (at least at this particular station) only had one underground tank for diesel and would add an additive called nemo 2061 at the pump for the shell v power diesel. Mixed at a ratio of 4L of additive to 4700L of fuel.
That's odd, I thought Husky was the only one's who did it like that.

BryceShelton

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
I fuel up at a high use truck stop.

The Shell with VPower in KW seems like it never has any diesel vehicles there.
I find the Ultramar, due to high use and constant fresh fuel, to give me the best mileage.

I didn't notice any improvement using VPower for about 5 tanks.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
All Shell V power is the same as regular diesel with an additive added as you pump. I've never noticed a big enough difference for me to switch over, so I just use Shell regular diesel. While not a sucker for Air Miles, it's better than nothing. I'll be moving in a few months and have to find a new station to fill up at...nothing immediately near the house or on the way to the train station.

tassolake

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 TDI PD 5sp
If anyone is interested I have tracked every single fuel up since new on my 2006 jetta and tracked mileage, fuel type (gold, reg, Bioxx) etc and tied it back to some snake oil additives as well. I have over 200,000Km in this excel file. the bottom line is type of fuel made minimal changes, the bio did get slightly worse mileage which was tied directly to the percentage of bio (more bio, less mileage). Gold and the other premium had zero noticable difference with regular diesel. again driving situation between tanks did vary but the graph is relatively flat. If interested send me a note and I will share the excel spread sheet (including how much was paid for the fuel).

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Well, I don't track, but keep an eye on each tankful.....I have found no noticible difference at all over the years. I buy at any busy station, and the cheapest price possible.

geoman

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 tdi jetta wagon
I fuel up at a high use truck stop.

The Shell with VPower in KW seems like it never has any diesel vehicles there.
I find the Ultramar, due to high use and constant fresh fuel, to give me the best mileage.

I didn't notice any improvement using VPower for about 5 tanks.
+1 for the ultramar in woodstock(t a truck stop off of sweaburg rd. exit). always a good price. i seem to get better results than the shell in woodstock but the esso on dundas is compareable in price and mileage. is there an ultramar in k-w as well? i've started to steer away from pioneer after some weirdly bad mileage and rough running despite great prices. hope i didn't do too much/any damage.

Steve Clark

TDI
2012 Wagon
Thanks for the info. Will stick with regular Shell.

Does anyone know what the additive at the pump on V Power Shell is? Will Google as well.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd

Filled up last Sunday with VPower and this is what the MFD display said, averaging about 5.1l/100 k and this morning the lowest I've seen since I've had the car was 4.5l/100k
120km/hr @1900 rpm in 6th gear
Previous tank of Pioneer reg diesel netted avg 5.6l/100 k

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Tapatalk

IAMCIRE

Veteran Member
TDI
BEW Wagon
^ warm weather maybe? I noticed too I got better mileage with this current tank, same driving habits and all..

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Winter diesel folks is probably making it's way out of the tanks... If you are seeing a big MPG jump, that's most likely the reason..

I think I am going to try a tank of DieselMax this time around.

My BEW's mileage is horrible compared to my ALH.... Last tank was 39mpg (and this was babying it!)

We'll see what the car does now that I've got the PD150 injectors installed.

cRaZyRaVr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG - Silver and 2012 Jetta 6mt Grey
I always fill up at Pioneer at Trafalgar / 401. Been doing this for 30K km now. Just had my fuel filter done and everything looked good. That station gets used a lot and I think thats important.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Winter diesel folks is probably making it's way out of the tanks... If you are seeing a big MPG jump, that's most likely the reason..

I think I am going to try a tank of DieselMax this time around.

My BEW's mileage is horrible compared to my ALH.... Last tank was 39mpg (and this was babying it!)

We'll see what the car does now that I've got the PD150 injectors installed.
Where you getting your fuel, Bill?

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I'm not a fan of filling up there to be honest... Any idea on how much volume the Husky on 27 gets just north of town?