www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Forum and Web Page Info > TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions

TDIClub and TDIClub Forum News, Issues, Problems and Suggestions This is the place for updates on the website and forums. This is also the spot for forum questions, comments, ideas, gripes, requests, etc. This forum is NOT for posting problems about your car. Non-topic posts will be moved or removed.

Closed Thread

Old June 23rd, 2004, 22:36   #1
RichC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26MPG across the board
Default Answers to using the TDIClub \'pics\' server

For a few the use of the TDIClub pics server or http://pics.tdiclub.com/ has been a challenge. Hopefully this post will assist a few of you in getting your photos into your messages. Either click the link above or select the the link on the section of the title bar as the screenshot indicates below. You'll eventually see links offering two different ways to begin your login. If you are already registered, you can click "Login" and enter your TDIClub screenname and Login password.

===================

Next step after logging into the pics server, you can begin to upload photos, screenshots, graphics and documents that are useful to members. Take a look at the standard catagories or navigate to your "members" area to upload personal photos. (see screenshot below)

=====================

Spend a little time organizing your own gallery and keep personal photos (that you will use on the tdiclub) in catagories that will be easy to access later.

Be sure to fill in details as best you can when you upload the photos so searching and understanding the photo will be easier down the road. A few minutes now will help everyone later. Uploading photos is simplified by clicking the upload button after entering in the location of the original file and description.

After successfully uploading your photo there will be a UBBCode link for you to copy into your post.

This can be place into your message that you are composing ... either original post or reply.

A couple of pointers that make things better for everyone:
- size you photo to fit nicely on the forum. Remember not everyone has a studio view monitor and people on dialup will really appreciate not having to wait for overly large images. I like to keep the width to about 650 pixels. (just personal preference)
- server space is limited so don't abuse the priviledges be piling too many overly large documents or photos on the pics server although Fred liberally allows quite large files. Try to be polite.
- try not to include duplicates of the images when quoting a post in a thread. Most of use reading the thread will see the images above.
- remember that the width of the photo is probably the most important item ... posting overly large (over 800 pixels) in a thread is difficult for many to read comfortably. Some members travel and are viewing on notebook computers ... width is a big problem.
- Rule of thumb: JPG images are best for photographs, GIF images great for flat art, solid colors, black and white text and small animated avatars.
- PDF and Word Doc files are best for sharing text and documents that include self-contained photos, charts and graphs with more complex layout.
- Excel is probably best for spreadsheets and use your best judgement on any video you include. I personally have found that 320x240 video at bit rates between 256 and 512 yield acceptable results on the internet. (times are a changing and we'll hopefully see this improve.) WMV files are pretty universal but the H.264 mp4 codec is outstanding.

I'm sure I've forgotten something that will be helpful ... feel free to add your points below or correct my comments.

UPDATED: 1/298/2006

Last edited by RichC; January 28th, 2006 at 13:52.
Old July 31st, 2004, 19:37   #2
Cincy_Mike
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Avg: 41mpg -- mostly city

Looks great! I was thinking of making something myself so it'd be easier to show people who say, "I don't know how to post pictures here." .. I'll be sure to point people who ask to this thread.

Just one typo: "Remember note everyone"
Old October 27th, 2004, 00:39   #3
Bill_Blazek
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: ~48/gal B100

Rich,

I'm trying to add a how-to with pics.
I read your post above but when I go to
the pic server and try to register,
it takes me to the regular forum registration
page and won't let me register again with
the same email address, name, etc.
I can't see how to create this 2nd login for
the pic server.
What am I doing wrong or has this changed?
How do I post a how-to with pics in it.
When I try to paste it into the message,
the pics don't get included.

Thanks,
Bill
Old November 1st, 2004, 13:27   #4
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

One correction to RichC's great writeup. The useraccount on the picture server IS the same as the forums. However you still need to login for each.

Fred
Old May 13th, 2005, 16:06   #5
Jetta_Pilot
Veteran Member

Location: West Hill, Ont. Mexico mid October 2019 to end of April 2020

Fred[QUOTE]
One correction to RichC's great writeup. The useraccount on the picture server IS the same as the forums. However you still need to login for each.

Well I posted a query as to logging in to the Photo site a little while ago. I have tried using the same login as the forum and it keeps telling me it can not log me in. I have tried it to look at photos and it's a "No Go".

Just back from the Photo page and again tried to log on using the Jetta_Pilot handle and the password which was first emailed to me and it does not log me on.
Then I tried the user name I had used for registration and the password that went with it, still does not log me on?
So what's wrong then?
Old July 30th, 2005, 04:13   #6
ninedee_golf_tdi

Default Re: Answers to using the TDIClub \'pics\' server

How do you delete pics that were originally too large (bit wise) so you can then upload smaller pics ?
Old January 28th, 2006, 13:02   #7
RichC
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 26MPG across the board

The "help" above was modified to refect the new pic server.

Last edited by RichC; January 28th, 2006 at 13:46.
Old February 3rd, 2006, 20:34   #8
BHarrison
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW Derf

Fred
Why is this? Are you running them on seperate databases?

-05 TDI Passat
-97 TDI Passat
-96 TDI Passat
Old February 3rd, 2006, 20:35   #9
BHarrison
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninedee_golf_tdi
How do you delete pics that were originally too large (bit wise) so you can then upload smaller pics ?
Photopost php has the ablilty to resize pictures, so it wouldnt matter if the pic you have is too big, it could resize it to freds preferrence.

-05 TDI Passat
-97 TDI Passat
-96 TDI Passat
Old February 4th, 2006, 05:50   #10
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

I suspect that the cookie is only good for either forums.tdiclub.com OR pics.tdiclub.com, not *.tdiclub.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
Old February 4th, 2006, 08:22   #11
BHarrison
Veteran Member

Photopost can use the same cookie prefix as the forum, regardless of the subdomain.

-05 TDI Passat
-97 TDI Passat
-96 TDI Passat
Old February 9th, 2006, 21:12   #12
skippytdi
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 jet-ta
Fuel Economy: crap - Citgo brand fuel
Default posting pictures

hiya.
The writeup is very good, but when i am trying to post a picture i get a link on my response instead of the actual picture like most people.
What am i doing wrong?
Mike P.
Old February 12th, 2006, 16:04   #13
betr'ntractors

Default Admin/moderator help please

so i searched about how to post photos, read rich c.'s post and followed the directions, but end up with same problem as some of the other members.
PIcs.tdiclub won't let me login with my usual screenname and password.
so i:
relogged into the forums to make sure that worked.
-logged out of the forums and then tried the pics.tdiclub= still no worky
-tried to register at pics.tdiclub and it told me i was already registered on the forums (at least that works..)

I'm at a loss here, did something get updated and i not notice? Any other suggestions?
thnks
'96 Ford 250 PS
'87 Massey 375 (one more cylinder...)
'82 Massey Ferguson 250
Old February 12th, 2006, 16:45   #14
bhtooefr
TDIClub Enthusiast
ToofTek Inventor

TDI(s): None

PM Fred, tell him your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton Sinclair
It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!
Old February 13th, 2006, 20:09   #15
VW Derf
Administrator

Fuel Economy: 5.9L / 100km

Photopost and the forums use the same userdatabases, BUT they are two different pieces of softare so login is required twice. If you can log into one and not the other, email me as it could be an issue with your login name and some strange characters. For most it does work, so let me know if you have troubles via the feedback form.

Fred
Closed Thread