Tunes...

utoypia

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI
2015 Passat.

Have to leave emissions stock until warranty is up.

Looking for more mpgs in the meantime.

Any suggestions like Kerma, Stevenson, Rawtech, etc etc?
Pros and cons?

Additionally, I've been told 2015s don't need dsg tune.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
I would suggest getting ahold of Malone, he can do an emissions friendly tune. I believe the ECM needs to be removed from the car to tune it though. Also, I'm almost positive you have to get a DSG tune, or your trans will wear out.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
As has been said many, many times before tunes can be detected and will void most any warranty claim dealing with the engine, fuel system and drivetrain more than likely. Search for TD1. This is the flag that is set when VW scans your car and they determine it has been flashed by someone other than a dealer. This code is registered with the VW home office and the dealer has no control over it. With dieselgate being what it is and the EPA cracking down on tuners I would think hard about doing what you want to do. This has nothing to do with deleting any emissions equipment just the fact that you have a non OEM tune loaded will do it. If you value the warranty then leave the car alone. If you don't then do as you please but be aware you may have issues down the road with various government agencies as well as dealers. Some dealers won't even touch your car with mods done as they don't want to be held responsible. Why would you think VW should be responsible for your warranty when you have done things that take it out of compliance with how they designed and sold it? I have nothing against tunes and I have had them on my previous older non warranty cars and was impressed with them. To reiterate, if the warranty matters leave the car alone.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Everything can be done via ODB port, but I also think the ECU bench flashed which can then reset the counter that will flag a TD1.

As for MPG gains, if you drive lots and lots of highway don't get your hopes up, the emissions system is very very efficient once up to temp. It's around town and short trips that tank MPGS, and only a DPF delete will get you noticeable gains.

it's true the '15s don't need a DSG tune, but just ask for the low torque file to stay away from DMF shudder.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Maybe call your local vw dealer and see what they say is permissible. A local dealer to me would do tunes at the dealer ship. Being it’s a diesel I have high doubts they will say it’s ok to do any type of mod and keep the warranty though.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Being it’s a diesel I have high doubts they will say it’s ok to do any type of mod and keep the warranty though.
It's not just a diesel thing. Lots of gti (and others) owners get flagged td1 after getting tuned. It can void their drivetrain warranties too. Fortunately the tdi emissions warranties will be gone in short order and won't be a hindrance to better performance.

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
The dealer that I use would do unitronic tunes right there on a new/used car. Now I’m sure that was the choice of the dealer and they would fit the warranty bill for failure but they still do/did it.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Hendrick VW in Concord, NC does APR tunes on brand new cars. I asked how they do warranty work, they remove the tune!

utoypia

TDI
2015 Passat SEL Premium TDI
So. If you get flagged for TD1, it only voids the emissions warranty, and not the rest of the car? I have a nice big extended warranty.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Do you really want to take that chance? I personally would not risk the warranty...

Last edited:

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
An extended vw warranty or after market? I’m sure there is fine print on moding with you other warranty. Might want to check in on it.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
In the past the flash counter thing was a local event. Now it is in the cloud at the home office. The dealer has no control over it. I doubt they can affect the counter and/or install/remove a tune without it showing up today. How many dealers do you know of that are still doing tunes today? The EPA is cracking down hard and with dieselgate just over I sincerely doubt any VW dealers are doing any tunes any more. But I could be wrong. Your choice though. If you want to risk "any" warranties you have just tune it up and wait and see if they reject you. It is hard enough without a tune to get them to own up and take responsibility without you giving them one big giant reason to say "you aren't covered".

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
So. If you get flagged for TD1, it only voids the emissions warranty, and not the rest of the car? I have a nice big extended warranty.
It can void the drivetrain warranty. It's really up to the dealership and VWoA. But it wouldn't compromise coverage on non drivetrain/emissions components like brakes, suspension, body, etc. It really boils down to how enthusiastic the owner is about improving performance.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The dealer/VW can deny coverage when ever they want basically. After that is is up to you to fight them if you want it (the warranty) enforced. Then it becomes a legal matter trying to get them to cover whatever repair that is involved. Some things like a non operating sunroof would be hard to argue in court that a tune would have caused this. But anything that could possibly be related to the tune could be argued that it was caused by the tune if they wanted to go that far. They are basically betting you will shut up and go home or just pay the cost. With dieselgate in recent memory, if you went to court, a tune would more than likely taint your case just enough to make it difficult to find legal counsel to take the case or a judge in your favor either. So pick your battles. Like I said it is hard getting them to own up to claims for stock well serviced vehicles sometimes much less tuned "improved" ones. Save all that stuff for when the warranty no longer matters to you. I bought mine specifically because of the 12 year/165k warranty and I won't do anything to put that in jeopardy for the time being. After that watch out as it will get tuned right away. I have parts/tunes on hand already for when I decide to do something, just to insure I have them when needed. They may not be available in the future.

_Colty_

TDI
2011 Golf 2 door 6MT "DSLGATE"
Do what I did. Call around. My nearest dealership said, "No." Called the next closest one, the service manager picked up, he said go for it. I explained that it would be Malone Stage 2 with exhaust modifications. He said he would cover things like sensors, but wouldn't cover the block if it overboosted at 4k rpm. So I just drive reasonably and love the tune. I got full "eco tune" with stage 2. Mine's a manual so no DSG tune needed.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
The dealership isn't in control. Before VW will approve warranty work they will want a scan from the car. It will be the VW home office that makes the warranty call. If they get a TD1 and the repair is of any consequence, you will more than likely be refused. I doubt the dealership will cough up the cost on their own. But some like to live dangerously, so go ahead if you want to.