High idle! Please help!

Rgaon_1

TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 1.9
So I bought my 1999 vw Jetta TDI. I absolutely love this car and have done a few repairs here and there. But one morning when I went to start it and let it warm up a bit, I noticed diesel spilling all over the ground, so I went ahead and resealed the pump under the hood, that fixed the leak, but now when I started it I got a high idle at around 1100. Before it was at around 900. Please help as I need this car to commute daily. It drives and runs like it is but I just can’t stand the high idle. Now I noticed that when coming to a stop I will get a bouncing idle and when at a complete stop it’ll idle at 1100.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI 2000 Jetta TDI 2000 New Beetle TDI ALL 5 speeds
Did you do both seals? Do you have vcds?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Sounds like the Hammer Mod should take care of the rough behaviour when slowing to a stop. I had that a long time ago and that is what I did to fix it.

Just search this forum for "Hammer Mod".

I have a high idle too when the car is warming up. I had it programmed by Malone but then it does drop back down to normal after a few minutes.

Get a VCDS cable so you can get in touch with the ECU for the car. www.ross-tech.com should be able to assist you.

It does sounds like the issues you are having now are related to your recent work on the IP. Alignment of the pump head is very important for your injection quantity as well as other functions.

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
How do I do that hammer thing?
Well Google got you here...

You need a vagcom cable to do the hammer mod right. When you took the quantity adjuster off you didn't get it exactly back in the same place...yeah you probably marked it and the video you watched said you wouldn't need to adjust after...that's a lie...fractions of an inch make a difference and you have a 2 point window.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You need to have it scanned.

Some things can go wrong (electronics) and not always show a Check Engine Light or give the Flashing Glow Plug Light.

For the last year, the ALH in my Vanagon has given me fits trying to figure out why I get a high idle occasionally. VCDS (Vag Com Diagnostic System) shows an accelerator code issue....... but not always.

So, again, before I started doing something (in your case) that you know nothing about, you need to have it scanned for codes. And, the Hammer Mod does require the use of VCDS to set the Injection Quantity ...... about 3.0 mg/s with a fully warmed up engine is generally fine.

Under the How-Tos is a Sticky on how to do the Hammer Mod (the key, is to know that it only takes a very, very small movement to change things a lot...

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
You are going to need a VCDS cable to figure out your engine issues. Try borrowing one or even looking for a second hand one or buying a new one from one of the resellers.

The hammer mod is just loosening off the pump head and tapping in one direction or the other. This can also be done when adjusting your injection quantity. You really need to see what you doing with the injection quantity as you hit(tap) the pump head so you don't make it worse. Having the VCDS cable allows you to see what you are changing the values to in real time.

Here is a link to one of the hammer mod posts: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=258297

WildChild80

Veteran Member
TDI
Ross tech

Or if you watch the forum you'll see one come by every now and then

Rgaon_1

TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 1.9
Well darn. I’ve seen those go pretty expensive. I don’t know anybody in my area with one of those. I’ll look around and see what I can do. Also what if I just buy a new pump? Or a used one?

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
I saw one on this site recently for about 150. Last year I sold one of mine last year for 150 CDN Pesos.

A new pump or used pump with still need the cable so you can set it up properly. It is too early to throw in the towel. Try posting a new thread looking for a used cable and see how that works.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
You’d be in worse shape than your in now.......then you will need to have a vcds.
Look at the you tube on how to do the hammer mod.... you should have a vcds to get it accurate but not immediately needed to drop the idle .

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Do the hammer mod. Your pump is overfueling. You can do it without VCDS initially because it sounds like the IQ is so out of whack it's bumped the idle up.

You need to tap the right side(as you look it from the front of the car) of the pump and drive it towards the passenger side of the car.

Rgaon_1

TDI
1999 VW Jetta TDI 1.9
Do the hammer mod. Your pump is overfueling. You can do it without VCDS initially because it sounds like the IQ is so out of whack it's bumped the idle up.

You need to tap the right side(as you look it from the front of the car) of the pump and drive it towards the passenger side of the car.
Thanks I will try that this week.