BMW 335d owners

Capt. Common Rail

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI. DSG turned in ,2014 Passat Tdi se,2015 golf sel dsg
I was wondering how many miles you have on your cars now,and the mpgs your getting.Also any feelings you have about the car.My 335d is do to arrive end of Nov.
Thanks Otto,

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I talked to a 335d owner at a filling station a few days ago. He's had the car since June, and reports fuel consumption at around 6.5 L/100 km, which is not bad for something that size and power.

For what it's worth by comparison, a friend of mine has a 2006 323i 6-speed manual, and that one is using around 8.2 L/100 km.

vitoal18t

TDI
Still dreaming....
BMW 335d is a great car!

I do not own one, but I test driven 335d many times and finally convienced my co-worker to buy it, so on occasion I drive it during lunch.

So far he is reporting low to mid 30s as far as MPG, but engine is not broken in.

Torque is phenomenal and car feels very fast and fun to drive.

I think 335d is extremely important car for diesel acceptance in U.S.A.

I can't wait for BMW to bring over 123d.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
This is my first post to the forum.

My 335d has ~300 miles on it and I'm getting 25 mpg's in city traffic. I don't consider that awful since I'm in break-in. It'll of course get better over time. The car drives like a your typical BMW (great). TQ is great, no wheel hop, and it's very quiet when underway.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
velociT said:
Cool Breeze, post some pics...

How does the auto handle itself when you go WOT?
I haven't gone WOT since I'm still within break-in (max 3k rpms) but I did accidentially hit 4.5k rpms this am (woops). The transmission is great it shifts smoothly. I've read some articles where the author wasn't impressed with the A/T in city traffic and I'm left wondering what in the world they're talking about. Yeah it's not a manual, but to be honest, I see no point in having a manual for the 6 cyl diesel besides BMW doesn't have a manual gearbox that can handle the TQ this early in the power band. 335d's in Europe only have A/T as well.

Last edited:

LILALLEYKATT

TDI
06 JETTA BLK/BLK PKG 2
I run over 120K mi a year for work and just sold my 09 TDI Sportwagen and special ordered a 335d back in June. I now have 40K mi on it. I get about 38-43 mpg on the interstate at 75-77 mph. The power is like a muscle car with over 425 ft lbs of torque. I have had it up to over 150 mph and the handleing is rock solid{ addicting}. I have to put about 2 gallons of urea in the rear tank every 10K mi. I would not have sold my Sportwagen if the seats had been more comfortable on long trips. 335d= the same mpg's with 3x more performance. Its nice to be able to go from 60 mph to 100 in 4 seconds while the Corvette owner whom was trying to cut you in traffic doesnt know what hit him.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
8000km on the clock now: best hwy 5.5 L/100 at 100 km/h, normal hwy 6.2 L/100 at 130-140km/h, approx 8.5 L/100 running around the city. CBS indicates 12,000km until next (first) scheduled servicing. Still have the smile on my face!

My son will likely be inheriting the TDI, but I'll make him work a bit for it....it'll be a good car for a teenager...good on fuel and not too much power to get into (too much) trouble...

Cheers
Duey

A8540TDI

TDI
Golf Mk VI TDI, 335d
After trying in vain to find a 335d with options I wanted, I finally bit the bullet and ordered one today to take advantage of the great incentives expiring soon. I'm looking forward to pick up the car in Spartanburg, probably early March. It will join my Golf TDI, a car that sold me on the practicality of diesel power! The torque of the 3 liter six is quite addicting and whilst it may not be quicker than a 335i or M3, it feels faster in "normal" driving conditions and is a hell of a lot more efficient! I'll post some pics after I get it.

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
Update: 40,000km on the clock and still smiling!

Lifetime average - 33mpg (US), 2/3 hwy and 1/3 city. Two scheduled/CBS servicings (20k and 38k) and a software update are the only work I've required.

You're right A8540TDI, while drag-race style performance isn't bad, the pick-up at speed is insane - the thing pulls like a freight train and the 50-70 accel is insane fast. You'll love the car and the smile will never go away! :D

Regards
D

wxman

Veteran Member
TDI
Other Diesel
Currently have a little over 12K miles. Overall average mileage has been 32.5 mpg in about 35%/65% city/rural driving mix.

Best trip segment mileage was 46.1 mpg (per computer) over about 50 miles, all state highway @ about 60 mpg indicated. Best round-trip was 42.7 mpg (per computer) over about 100 miles of mostly highway driving but with a little city driving mixed in.

Achieved about 38.8 mpg (calculated) in trip to Western New York last summer (about 650 miles) @ 70 - 85 mph with AC on the entire trip.

ruking

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 VW Jetta, 5 M, Reflex Silver: 09 Jetta, 6 Sp DSG, Candy White: 12 VW Touareg, 8 Sp A/T, Flint Gray
I run over 120K mi a year for work and just sold my 09 TDI Sportwagen and special ordered a 335d back in June. I now have 40K mi on it. I get about 38-43 mpg on the interstate at 75-77 mph. The power is like a muscle car with over 425 ft lbs of torque. I have had it up to over 150 mph and the handleing is rock solid{ addicting}. I have to put about 2 gallons of urea in the rear tank every 10K mi. I would not have sold my Sportwagen if the seats had been more comfortable on long trips. 335d= the same mpg's with 3x more performance. Its nice to be able to go from 60 mph to 100 in 4 seconds while the Corvette owner whom was trying to cut you in traffic doesnt know what hit him.
What kind of mileage do you get on a set of tires?

120getsitdone

TDI
09 Jetta TDI
I like my TDI alot!! I get about 42 mpg on averge I drive 180 miles a day and no problems, the dealer is alot of money so I change the oil myself exsept at 40k 80k 120k and so on bc they look at the whole car at that many miles hope this helps.:)

335d

TDI
2011 BMW 335d
What kind of mileage do you get on a set of tires?
I put 20,000 miles on my rear tires before they went bald. But 90% of the first 9200 miles were high speeds on the Autobahn. And I usually drive my tires pretty hard. The dealership tried to get me to replace the fronts too, saying I could only get another 1000 miles out of them. I refused and went on my 12,000 mile road trip without any issues, even through heavy rain. Now, when I'm not on a road trip, I keep my summer non-run-flat tires on there for city driving. Run-flats are heavier, meaning degraded fuel economy, but essential on a road trip - though not necessary for city driving being that I have my own recovery vehicle.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
My dad an I test drove a Mercedes-Benz E350 Bluetec this past week and despite my high expectations, we were both pretty disappointed. My dad ruled out a further test drive, however I would be willing for another, longer drive if possible.
I don't think my dad used the glow plugs on startup, being unfamiliar with Mercedes' "auto start" (non push button, i.e. turn the key and release, it cranks for you.) The car needed about 2-3 seconds of cranking before firing, and once it fired it sounded good, with a bit of clatter (35*F ambient). The car itself was everything I expect of Mercedes-Benz, excellent build quality, very comfortable seats, great ergonomics and a very solid structure (I entertained myself while the dealer was fetching test drive plates by closing the door a few times - can you say bank vault? :D) Anyway, once pulling out of the spot, I noticed a few vibrations at low revs (1,300 RPM) and that the transmission (7AT, torque converter) seemed to bobble the engine rpm much like our DSG can do (the tach bobbles up and down on upshift). Once driving on the road and warmed up, to my ear, the car made nice diesel noises, however sounding much coarser than the BMW 335d we drove this time last year in similar temperature. However the E350's V6 was much, much quieter, and certainly lacked that perfect (IMO) straight six balance and sound.
My biggest complaint about the E350 was the seemingly poor execution of the pairing of the V6 turbodiesel and the newly redesigned 7AT gearbox for 2012. The gearbox always seemed to be hunting for a gear to stay in. It wasn't jerky, just somewhat lazy and unintuitive, the 335d's 6AT behaved much better, from a performance and comfort standpoint. It also was reluctant to kickdown, taking at least a second before any surge of torque piled on. I wasn't driving, so I could not evaluate if this was solely the gearbox, or indeed a hint of turbo lag. Most likely the gearbox. Chassis impressions were decent, and the ride was velvety and very quiet. My dad said steering was a bit light, but ok in other regards. We did a few 80-20 stops and from the passenger seat the binders (four piston calipers front with cross drilled internally vented rotors, single piston solid internally vented rears) provided more than enough stopping power for a two ton sedan. My dad said that the pedal was a bit spongy during those stops, however. The 400 lb/ft of torque did not seem all that impressive compared to the 335d, (yes the 335d is a few hundred pounds lighter, and more power/torque) - it will be interesting to drive the Bluetec with the new updated V6 in the ML and S-Class diesels, which has 240 hp (from 210) and 450lb/ft.
When we got back to the dealer, he offered a test drive in the gasser E350, and my dad (and I, I have to admit) were much more impressed. The powertrain "glitches" from the diesel were gone, and it felt like a proper E-Class. That being said, if I traveled almost all highway miles, the E350 Bluetec would be high on my list of luxury midsized sedans.
Sorry for the rant, just felt like sharing my opinion on a German oil burner. :) Oh, and one more thing - bring on the 535d :D

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
So far 6300 thrilling miles. Average in mostly city type driving is 28 mpg.

I was really looking to get a Boxster but the 335d had it all at a lower price with less of a show.

The E350 Bluetec is a fantastic car but the styling left me a bit disappointed as well as the interior color choices, the cost of some desired options (xenon lights could only be had if you get the premium 2 package for example).

Mercedes took too long to bring the diesel back to the US market and has a bit of a problem in accounting for its poor reliability of some components such as the panoramic roof, which also costs a small fortune to repair.

I think BMW with all the changes over the three years it's been in the US has gotten the 335d with sport package "just right.". The suspension and run flat tires are much improved as well as the iDrive in 2011.

TM

lddrew

TDI
none yet :(
I am interested in the 335d in a few years when they drop in value. any word on doing tuning/deletes/mpg gains once all this is done??

thanks
Lee

DnA Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
no more...
A number of tunes and boxes now that put the 335d up into 300+hp / 500+ft-lbs territory. No deletes, yet. Mileage generally rises a bit, so long as you don't use too much of the new found power. More details on Bimmerpost or E90Post.

Cheers
D.

lddrew

TDI
none yet :(
thanks D. registered on bimmerpost earlier today. would love to see what one could do with a tune and full deletes power and mpg wise. gotta love a diesel

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I am interested in the 335d in a few years when they drop in value. any word on doing tuning/deletes/mpg gains once all this is done??

thanks
Lee
Perhaps some mpg can be improved since the car is set up for performance and many come with fat 18 inch run-flat summer tires. BMW has done the tuning for you, with the adblue to help lessen the impact on the engine of pollution controls.

To chip this engine may be a bit silly since this is not a typically overengineered Mercedes or even VW design. BMWs are not known for tank-like durability or conservative design. The 335d already is over-the-top in power output. So much that they didn't have a manual transmission available to handle the power at such a low RPM (same Physics concept as needing to tow in a lower gear).

Changing to low rolling resistance tires, making the alignment more "straight" (I'm guessing here having just come from an E320 CDI which had better fuel economy) and improving the aerodynamics would all help mpg.

But that is what the F30 platform will do - especially when it comes across to our shores (if it ever happens) with the 320d. I don't believe the 335i hybrid will win any great following (remember the Accord hybrid?).

My $.02

TM

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
I don't believe the 335i hybrid will win any great following (remember the Accord hybrid?).
There's this little problem with the BMW turbo I6 gasser hybrid: It's a lot more expensive than the diesel. It's developed for anti-diesel markets and they don't expect to sell many in Europe.
Here's the 5-series price list for Germany... you'll see... hybrid is a bit expensive. I'd happily save myself ELEVEN THOUSAND EUROS (on the pre-tax MSRP) by going with the manual transmission 530d instead of the hybrid. It gets a lot better fuel economy too... and has a full trunk. The 520d Efficient Dynamics Edition is an even better deal, at 4.5 l/100km it has the same fuel economy rating as an Euro-spec Jetta 2.0 TDI...

As for technical data... the 530d is 0.1 seconds slower to 100 kph (62 mpg) than the hybrid. The 535d is much quicker than the hybrid and still cheaper. I marked fuel economy (combined) rating and 0-100kph acceleration in the following data sheets:

520d EDE: 4.5 l/100km (52 mpg US), 8.2s 0-100 kph

530d: 5.7-5.9 l/100km [5.3-5.5 l/100km] (40-41 mpg US [43-44 mpg US]), 6.0s [6.1s] 0-100 kph

535d: 5.4-5.6 l/100km, (42-44 mpg US) 5.5s 0-100kph

Hybrid: 6.4-7.0 l/100km (34-37 mpg US), 5.9s 0-100 kph

Values [in brackets] for the 530d are for automatic transmissions. The 520d Efficient Dynamics Edition is manual only, the 535d and hybrid are automatic only. If there are ranges of values, it's different wheel sizes affecting fuel economy... BMW states the fuel economy per wheel type in another huge table in the brochures.

So... which 5-series diesel would you like to see in the US?

Last edited:

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Perhaps the M5 triple turbo and the 520d to blow away all the anti-diesel stalwarts. Just a dream.

TM

traskw

TDI
2011 BMW 335d
Traded my TDI Golf - Superpro Alloy

Traded my TDI golf in for a 2011 BMW 335d. Very happy with the car so far but needs a little more camber and caster to quicken turn in. Anyone have any experience with the Superpro Front Control Arm kit?

isonic

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf 4door 5spd
Was Europe the only ones to get a manual trans with this car or was Canada lucky enough to get it too?

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
No manual on the E9x 35d cars. Only on the 30d, 25d, 20d, 18d, 16d and Alpina D3.On the F3x cars, all 6-cylinder diesels are auto-only.
The F10/F11 530d came with stick until the mid-cycle refresh.
From the 535d up it was manual only. (Remember the American "535d" is the car that is the 530d in all other markets, 35d in name only)
Audi is the only place left where you get a 6-cylinder diesel with a stick.