Key Fob battery removal?

triggerman

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf
Does anyone know how to pull a 05 Passat key fob apart? A few years back one of my key got wet with sea water and since then it has a habit of intermitent lock/unlock malfunction. I think if I could get at the battery and give the contacts a good cleaning, it "might " work reliably. This key style has the chrome end loop. I understand it might need reprograming at the stealer but I'd like to try this first. Is it a press in and pry apart at the mid way under the folded key?
THANKS

CsTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'10 TouaregTDI, '15 JettaTDI
there are lots of key fobs available on ebay. Although you will definitely need to identify which one is for your car and you will need reprogramming.

I have the same key fob as you. When I changed my battery, I could not get the fob to pull apart. I think maybe a slight twist and a pull may have helped. I ended up using a jewelers watch screwdriver to separate the 2 halves

MOGolf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS TDI Reflex silver, rough road suspension and steel skid plate, 2004 Passat Variant, Candy White, rough road suspension and geared balanced shaft module, and much, much more. 2016 LR RR HSE TD6, 2019 Jaguar I-PACE
Flip open the blade.
Use a small blade screwdriver in the location of where the two "halves" come apart to pry gently.
Once they start to come apart, just pull it apart.
Then the piece with the buttons can be pulled apart to access the circuit board and battery.

bigEZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen; 2006 New Beetle
i just grabbed the two halves and pulled it apart. use force; it won't break, and then you can use a jewelers screw driver to pop open the battery compartment.

i've had to replace the battery in my wife's fob to my car twice; mine, same battery as new (and yes, i have hinted at that fact).

tommyt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 white Jetta TDI 5 spd M, 9
Key Fob Battery Tip

I have found it is not always the battery, but instead the contacts. When you take the FOB apart, try cleaning the all contacts and also bending the little springs to make sure they get frim contact. I have done this on several that seemed to be 'dead' and they come right back to life and work fine.

NFSTDI

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'98 Jetta
You might want to clean it with a little contact cleaner. Use some compressed air to dry it out and get any remaining dust. Might have been a good idea to do this right away but still worth a try.

If that does not do the trick I recommend that you contact World Impex for new fob. Not sure if they sell your fob separately but they do have excellent prices.

Be wary eBay sellers. I got a call today about a BMW key some guy got on the internet. He wanted to come in to my store and have it cut. I asked him about programming and said no problem, I have directions. Came with the key. Yeah, sure thing, only you need a three thousand dollar programmer (that's my cost from a locksmith tool maker) to get around the fact that BMW keys must be ordered from the dealer.