Block common ground on 97 Golf diesel?

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW Golf Wagon, 97 Golf Turbo Diesel
I'm trying to solve an instrument cluster problem on my '97 Golf.
While I'm awaiting for new stepper motors for the speedo and tach to come from China, I thought I should check the ground points for corrosion.
(Some posts on the cluster state that there's a separate ground for the tach/speedo vs the cluster indicator lights...)

I've read posts that mention a connection point with several brown wires attached to the engine block. The few pics I've found don't look like my engine, or I'm not looking in the right area.

Does anybody have pictures or suggestions of where to look for that ground point?

Thanks!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I’m guessing this is a AAZ? If it’s the same as TDI, search for the grounds on the rear of the head, by a coolant flange. I think your coolant sensors will be in this flange

-Todd

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
I’m guessing this is a AAZ? If it’s the same as TDI, search for the grounds on the rear of the head, by a coolant flange. I think your coolant sensors will be in this flange

-Todd
Thanks, Todd.
I didn't know the engine type on my car, just recall being told it wasn't a TDI, just a 'turbo diesel'.

So that means I posted the question in the wrong sub-forum!
I'll re-post over in 'Other Group TD' sub forum.

And I'll go out and have another look under the hood on the firewall side of the motor.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
When I mentioned rear, it’s not the firewall side. Rear is the same side, as you’d find the clutch bolted to and the rear main seal, for the crank.

-Todd

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
When I mentioned rear, it’s not the firewall side. Rear is the same side, as you’d find the clutch bolted to and the rear main seal, for the crank.

-Todd
Now I understand! Thanks!

There's a multi-wire connector at the rear of the engine near the end glow plug, but I don't see a separate ground point with brown ring terminal wires.

Perhaps I should look around under the battery box for something that attaches to the body.

I'll try to get a few general pics and post them.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I’m not too familiar with that engine in its native car. There are no grounds anywhere on the rear of the head? May want to send Vince Waldon, a PM.

-Todd

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, Todd. I've started a thread in the TD forum:
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504900

Vince replied over there and he's pretty sure there isn't a 'ring terminals on a bolt' ground point on my AAZ 97 Golf.

This is a fantastic forum - lots of really helpful folks here....I really appreciate it.
It's funny - now that I have a new car for 'backup', I'm getting braver about trying to fix the old one!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I have multiple back up cars...

One has been down since early November, when I planned on doing a heater core replacement... one thing always leads to another. I’m a victim of the “while I’m doing this, I may as well do that” syndrome.

Another is being used as a storage shed for the previously mentioned car...

Another is loaded with junk and has a small wall of car parts from the first car blocking it in.

So technically, 2 cars are available. Multiple cars certainly beats racing against the clock, so you can get to work, the next day.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Used to be that they all had the ground strap on the back corner of the valve cover mounting or the bracket that went over the cooling flange on the head but with the changes to the head and block it must have been done away with. The ME / MF and 1Y engines all had it IIRC.

Steve

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Found this thread about instrument clusters.

Do not know if it will help.
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=269767
Thanks, 02N!
It seems that the ground points moved around from engine to engine.
Mine is an AAZ (TD) engine. I've started a similar discussion to this one, in the sub-forum for those engines.
https://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=504900

I'm going to do some more looking around in the engine bay (under the battery tray, etc..) to see if I can find any obvious ground points.
I'll definitely report back if I solve the problem.
Re-soldering the connector pins got the indicator lights, fuel and temp etc going 100%. The tach speedo are still intermittent - either perfect or completely dead (no vibrating needle on tach, etc..).

VicGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
Grounds were under the battery tray and were in good condition.

I cleaned them more, and reattached everything.

Tach and speedo are still dead.

Cross one thing off the list!
:)