www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Mid-west USA

Mid-west USA Local discussions for those on the Mid-West US. ( Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota, Kansas, Missouri)

Old January 1st, 2020, 17:20   #8101
[486]
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 02 golf ALH
Fuel Economy: 42 stock, 47-49 now

any deals on oil lately? Seems like it's been awhile since a mail-in was out
[486] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1st, 2020, 20:18   #8102
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [486] View Post
any deals on oil lately? Seems like it's been a while since a mail-in was out
The Mobil Delvac and TDT rebate ended on Dec 31st. But there will probably be a new one soon.
'03 Golf with 803k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1 Plus 2 other '03 TDIs
Become a TDI Club Contributor. http://forums.tdiclub.com/payments.php
TornadoRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 07:56   #8103
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoRed View Post
The Mobil Delvac and TDT rebate ended on Dec 31st. But there will probably be a new one soon.
yeah, there was one out on shell rotella as well, same date

Seems I'm a day late real often.
Old January 2nd, 2020, 13:21   #8104
selbmn

Hey Gang

Pretty new to the VW and TDI life. 2013 Sportwagen with the 6spd manual and about 75,000 miles.

Recent problem with clutch...downshifting from 6th to 5th, pushed the clutch pedal down, was hard to shift gears, pedal didn't come back up. Was able to pop it back up with my toe and get it home after some moaning and grinding. Getting it towed into the dealer this evening to try to figure out what's going on.

Any thoughts/suggestions on a favorite shop? I'm hoping that, being as it seems like some sort of catastrophic failure and not just normal wear (no signs of slipping or anything before this happened) maybe they'll feel nice and cover at least part of it under the CPO warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!
selbmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2nd, 2020, 15:35   #8105
prsa01
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by selbmn View Post
Hey Gang

Pretty new to the VW and TDI life. 2013 Sportwagen with the 6spd manual and about 75,000 miles.

Recent problem with clutch...downshifting from 6th to 5th, pushed the clutch pedal down, was hard to shift gears, pedal didn't come back up. Was able to pop it back up with my toe and get it home after some moaning and grinding. Getting it towed into the dealer this evening to try to figure out what's going on.

Any thoughts/suggestions on a favorite shop? I'm hoping that, being as it seems like some sort of catastrophic failure and not just normal wear (no signs of slipping or anything before this happened) maybe they'll feel nice and cover at least part of it under the CPO warranty, but I'm not holding my breath.

Thanks!
If it has the CPO warranty it absolutely should be covered. The extended emissions warranty doesn't cover the transmission / clutch though.
Old January 2nd, 2020, 19:19   #8106
selbmn

Quote:
Originally Posted by prsa01 View Post
If it has the CPO warranty it absolutely should be covered. The extended emissions warranty doesn't cover the transmission / clutch though.
I've only had the car for a few months and haven't even had it in for it's first oil change yet. It did come with the 2yr unlimited mile CPO as well as the extended emissions... I'm hoping you're right!!
selbmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 14:38   #8107
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43 mpg average

Hi fellow Minnesotan's,
I hope your all enjoying this snow or are on vacation right now lol.
I am looking for a really cheap tdi for a friend of mine. he's looking for a summer car that will get good millage, but he doesn't wanna spend a lot of money. and he'd like to try the tdi diesel game! condition doesn't seem to be real important as he's looking for cheap and neither are miles. It cannot need heavy engine work, but light problems would be ok. thinking 98-03, so any alh would be cool. but let me know if you have anything you'd like to sell.
Thanks,
GlowBugTDI

Last edited by GlowBugTDI; January 18th, 2020 at 14:42.
GlowBugTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2020, 14:51   #8108
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Not much out there in the Upper Midwest, but this one down by Dubuque seems to have been well cared for.

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/d...043206888.html
'03 Golf with 803k miles: Bosio DLC 764, GT1749VB, PP 2.5" downpipe, Malone tuning, VR6/G60 clutch/flywheel, Bilstein HDs, Recaros, Akebono pads/Brembo rotors, Cat fuel filter with Nicktane head, DG Panzer w/FMJ, Blizzaks, Delvac1 Plus 2 other '03 TDIs
Old January 18th, 2020, 19:30   #8109
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Not much out there in the Upper Midwest, but this one down by Dubuque seems to have been well cared for.

https://dubuque.craigslist.org/cto/d...043206888.html
Thank's! ya, your right there's only one alh on cl right now under Minnesota. My buddy isn't in any rush, so were going to keep an eye on cl. but he's hoping to find one for about a grand or less. Thus the not really caring about condition or miles. I told him i'd post something here to see if anything comes up.
Old January 19th, 2020, 18:16   #8110
TornadoRed
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
Thank's! ya, your right there's only one alh on cl right now under Minnesota. My buddy isn't in any rush, so were going to keep an eye on cl. but he's hoping to find one for about a grand or less. Thus the not really caring about condition or miles. I told him i'd post something here to see if anything comes up.
Any TDI under $1000 is going to need at least $2000 more to make it reasonably reliable.
Old January 20th, 2020, 18:52   #8111
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Any TDI under $1000 is going to need at least $2000 more to make it reasonably reliable.
well, or 2000 worth of time and 400 worth of parts
Old January 20th, 2020, 21:16   #8112
GlowBugTDI
Veteran Member

ya, i can see that, ive had to put 2500-3000 into mine over the last few years. mainly cause i sent it in for a few things due to not having the time to do it myself. Most for under a grand have at least 4-5 problems usually rusty MN brake and drive components stuff, but he was just looking to see whats out there. doesn't need to be anywhere near mint, he's just looking for a cheap toy he can drive around the field's and up/down the roads. He's 16 so he doesn't mind doing some work, and isn't gonna be driving far (at least to the extent of my knowledge). I know it may never happen, but i figure if we look long enough something will come up, and i told him i'd throw something on here just in case anyone has one they don't use often/anymore . it'll be harder now tho, because tdi prices have gone up in the last year.

Last edited by GlowBugTDI; January 20th, 2020 at 21:21.
Old January 28th, 2020, 10:06   #8113
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

I just put all my 5 speed swap parts in the classifieds and I have included the car too if someone wants it.
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 10:09   #8114
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowBugTDI View Post
Hi fellow Minnesotan's,
I hope your all enjoying this snow or are on vacation right now lol.
I am looking for a really cheap tdi for a friend of mine. he's looking for a summer car that will get good millage, but he doesn't wanna spend a lot of money. and he'd like to try the tdi diesel game! condition doesn't seem to be real important as he's looking for cheap and neither are miles. It cannot need heavy engine work, but light problems would be ok. thinking 98-03, so any alh would be cool. but let me know if you have anything you'd like to sell.
Thanks,
GlowBugTDI
I am selling my 2003 Jetta Wagon just after timing belt refresh. This car is an auto bone stock with 200,000 miles on it. The auto has the torque convertor fail to lock up error but it works ok. That is why in the classified I am offering as part of a 5 speed swap
Curious Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2020, 18:48   #8115
[486]
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Chris View Post
I just put all my 5 speed swap parts in the classifieds and I have included the car too if someone wants it.
why, getting a CR car?