Cxracing's TDI specific intercooler kit?

Pitchar

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI DSG
it would be more convincing if there was data on how much the charge temperature dropped and at what ambient temperature. You might benefit from it in Oregon but anyone down South probably wouldn't. I went with a water/methanol injection with my supercharged Mustang because it dropped the charge temp by over 100 degrees

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
if you want to do an fmic in an mk4, the best way is to get the driver side pd130 intake manifold and make it a simple loop, and not have all that IC piping crammed in the timing belt area. IMO.

not sure what "Pitchar" is talking about, because an fmic would do just fine in the south lol...

Pat Dolan

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Variant, 2015 Q7
not to want to derail thread, but it really is a nice looking part. However, is anyone doing a good liquid-to-air for ALH these days???? Would rather pump water around than have a pile of air waiting for turbo to compress.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
*scratches head*, so, somebody correct me if my thinking is wrong, but I'm pretty damn sure completely removing the rebar isn't the best idea for support of the front 'frame rails'?

And, what bumper cover would be used with this intercooler? Because if you're going to just cover up half of it with a stock cover, kinda seems pointless.

Yreka

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
And, what bumper cover would be used with this intercooler? Because if you're going to just cover up half of it with a stock cover, kinda seems pointless.

That was my thought as well.. Can see it here, looks like only the bottom half exposed

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Frankly, I suspect the water to air intercooler is the very best idea to remove lots of heat in a small space. Not the cheapest, but the best way to do it.
the mkiv's have plenty of space for a fmic ... i'm not convinced awic is the way to go ... do some oem's use it? yes, but aftermarket setups can be overly complex and wonky... with air to air the only pump you need is the turbo

Last edited:

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
if you do it *right* the fmic on the mk4 is pretty easy and only requires a little bumper plastic trimming and you can still even fit grill fog lights ;) nothing fancy is really required.

Jakx1331

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Plus I've done the research and talked with guys ho have water to air coolers, they still run an intercooler. W/A coolers don't always work and get heatsoaked easily. Then gaskets brake they leak. Not good I idea for a DD car.

stefan2m

TDI
CDYA 3.0 tdi
Why not source a used smic from either a S4 or even RS4?
Get someone else (you trust) to chip in on a deal for a pair...

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
I hate to modify anything that has to do with the safety features of the car, just in case you end up in a wreck and the reason the lawyers find for not covering you medical bills is modification to the safety or structural integrity of the car.

I might look to darkside's SMIC as an alternative, now that I've seen how it is setup.

NHgranite

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat CKRA
Can you expand with your thoughts on how to do it right? Routing of charge pipes, orientation of intercooler, dimensions, etc.

Thanks.

if you do it *right* the fmic on the mk4 is pretty easy and only requires a little bumper plastic trimming and you can still even fit grill fog lights ;) nothing fancy is really required.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Not trying to offend anyone, but that intercooler design is a joke. If you will be running a FMIC, do it right and get one that has inlet and outlet on opposite sides.

For that amount of money you can do WAY better than that

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Terrible efficiency, air turbulence, etc. Try to mentally picture where that air is gonna go to. Is it going to cool air efficiently?

I don't claim to be an expert but I know a lot of thought and R&D is needed to design an efficient intercooler. I know personally a few folks that have gone thru this process (to the point of doing flow analysis) in order to develop a well engineered kit.

I don't think its a good buy. A cheap egay core and making your own piping would be a better bang for the buck.

Of course, there's also Garret, Precision, Vibrant, insertnamehere, cores that are much better (read: efficient) than just plain old cheapo cores, but the price reflects that. But that's outside of the scope of conversation here, since most setups here do not make over 300whp and the kit linked here is only $420.

dutch.mafia

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf
Are there any other FMIC kits out there (decently priced)? I'm in the neighborhood of around 180-190 hp, and my side mount is not doing the job anymore. I was actually going to buy this kit, but now that all of the problems have been pointed out, I don't want it anymore either.

sackman

Veteran Member
TDI
2(2003) 2Dr ARL/ASV
I'm looking at the darkside smic and vented wheel fender from idparts. I've read that is good for up to this power output.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
lol @ vented fender liner for efficiency improvements... it's nice in theory or for small builds. otherwise it's really a waste. you can also make you own vented fender for about $5 from lowes

GTiTDi

TDIClub Enthusiast, Macht Schnell! Vendor , w/Busi
3 Spruce st Wareham, gateway to Cape Cod Massachus
TDI
'91 GTI CJAA swap,'02 Jetta wagon ALH swap, '03 GTI 1.8T rally car, '03 Sprinter 3500
lol @ vented fender liner for efficiency improvements... it's nice in theory or for small builds. otherwise it's really a waste. you can also make you own vented fender for about $5 from lowes
$5 including rivets and satin black spray paint :p

kiwibru

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2-door, 2k Silver. Red RTDI now gone but not forgotten!
If you live in an area that has generally "cool" ambient air temps the SMIC with vented fender works very well. Eurojet, etc. work well in these situations for the mentioned HP wanted. Easy set up too.