TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver
TdiRacing said:
Here is the installation info:
These are the connections on the top of the new PD pump:

Sample wiring for typical relay:

Wire ends you will need:

Signal Wire to trigger the relay:

As for the relay location, I chose right uner the dash next to the other relays. This is a nice dry place and no heat from engine bay. And, you can get power and ground right there inder the dash. You just run one wire from the fuel cut-off to the the relay. The power and ground are there already, and then the power wire to the fuel pump under the rear seat.
With the instructions above in the other post, and these pics, it should be a breeze to install. Please email me if you need more help.
Thanks for your support.
Oliver
Does anyone have the part number for the connector plug that fits the 4 wires on this pump? I found the number for the 2 wire plug but not for the 4 wire one. :(

mrchill

TDIClub Enthusiast, Super Secret Diesel Ninja Vend
MASS! home of THE WORLD SERIES CHAMPION RED SOX! x
TDI
96 B4v red \ 98 Mk3 green\98 Mk3 Jetta black\ 99 Mk4 Jetta green x2\ 99 Mk4 Golf silver x2\ 99 Mk4 Jetta black\ 97 B4 sedan green\04 JSW gold\03 JSW silver
Hi. IBW has dynos with lift pump. Also, Tdiparts has a complete kit will all the parts for any non PD (incl. NB, Mk3, Mk4) for those buying after Oliver runs out. Instructions included. Huge difference in upper end, also keeps the car from stalling as easily under low rpm load. I've put in a few, and everyone loves them.

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
The signal wires are already there, so no need to run new ones. 16gauge wire will be fine for the power and grounds to the pump.

Nothern_Sky said:
What # wire gauge size is prefered for wiring the Lift Pump?

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
Oliver,

I Would also like to add that Mr Chills wiring method is factory stock. If anyone wants an oem installation, just like it would be on a 2004 pd engine talk to mr chill. its looks great and doesn't show up with a keen eye.

Speaking of which does anyone have a relay box cover they would like to swap with me???? you know which one im talking about the 4 relay one...

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
Probably nice install with the right cover. I like mine inthe cabin, where there is no heat and no moisture. If the relay is not sealed correctly, it will absorb the moisture from the air. That's why all the rally car relays are in the cab.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
good to know! are you saying bashing through puddles and rain doesn't help your relays work better? I could of sworn that increases conductivity ;)

TdiRacing

Vendor
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Cup
shortysclimbin said:
good to know! are you saying bashing through puddles and rain doesn't help your relays work better? I could of sworn that increases conductivity ;)
Yeah, like the fan relay that in the engine compartment. It was full of water when I pulled the cover to see why the fans would not come on. Can't imagine why it didn't work.

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
lol,

well im glad to hear I dont beat my jetta that hard. When my car requires a snorkel to drive ill let you know....

Also, thanks for the quick shipment I just got them yesterday.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
shortysclimbin said:
Oliver,

I Would also like to add that Mr Chills wiring method is factory stock. If anyone wants an oem installation, just like it would be on a 2004 pd engine talk to mr chill. its looks great and doesn't show up with a keen eye.

Speaking of which does anyone have a relay box cover they would like to swap with me???? you know which one im talking about the 4 relay one...
These are a rare item. We've got an 'exchange' program going on with cars (99.5 only) that have the correct box. I've only got a few, and they've been taken.

I drove through the winter without the correct box and no problems. I have one now, however. :D

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
They have the blank spots, but the only available covers allow room for three relays, not four. You may have one of those highly coveted relay covers that will allow 4, btw. Put it on eBay.

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
TdiRacing said:
The signal wires are already there, so no need to run new ones. 16gauge wire will be fine for the power and grounds to the pump.
I have a question. According to Bentley the 409 relay goes in position 4 of the relay panel and from there gets the current to activate the pump.

A 2003 VE engine, (rotary pump), does not use a lift pump and therefore has no need for a fuel pump relay and associated wiring.

So can anyone explain why my 2003 wagon seems to have come pre-wired in Position 4 for a Fuel Pump Relay that it is not supposed to have? :confused: :rolleyes:

I have yet to run down the wiring but all the correct pins, (again according to Bentley), seem to have wires going to them. :p

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
DPM said:
Parts of the loom are common to Euro (PD) models of that year?
I can only hope! :D

I just hope the wires are under the seat when I go to install the pump. 2 less wires I would have to snake around the car.

Typrus

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Black Jetta Sedan GLS/TDI 5mt
Ok, I'm being an idiot and not reading the whole thread before posting....

Considering the significant production of air bubbles my TDI has regardless of the 1000 mile old fuel filter, would a lift pump help to prevent the introduction of this air to the system? If it would, then I see a few things occuring as a result thereof...
Less air bubbles going into the Injection Pump= longer Injection Pump life. Considering that this is a $1700 part, that in of itself is significant.
Less air bubbles going into the injection pump= quieter operation. Thats always a plus.
Less air bubbles going into the pump=longer injector life. Considering the cost of the injector bodies (we're not talking nozzles here) that is a massive preventative maintenance item there.
Less air bubles into the injectors= a more efficient spray pattern. A more efficient spray pattern= again, smoother/quieter operation, potential power increase (slight) and potential mileage increase (again, slight)

Now, I could be overlooking the possibility of the presence of a leak in my lines and or hoses. God forbid. But, if that be the case, then what I said above may not be so true.

If nothing else, a pump pushing fuel from the tank to the IP would make fuel filter swaps a world and a half easier. Might even decrease the chance of vapor-lock, though I've never heard of a TDI having that problem.

BTW, the gain seen by eliminating air might be small enough to do little more than offset the increased amp load. Might be less. Might be more. I might be an idiot. Who knows.

KROUT

persona non grata
Typrus said:
Ok, I'm being an idiot and not reading the whole thread before posting....

Considering the significant production of air bubbles my TDI has regardless of the 1000 mile old fuel filter, would a lift pump help to prevent the introduction of this air to the system? If it would, then I see a few things occuring as a result thereof...
Less air bubbles going into the Injection Pump= longer Injection Pump life. Considering that this is a $1700 part, that in of itself is significant.
Less air bubbles going into the injection pump= quieter operation. Thats always a plus.
Less air bubbles going into the pump=longer injector life. Considering the cost of the injector bodies (we're not talking nozzles here) that is a massive preventative maintenance item there.
Less air bubles into the injectors= a more efficient spray pattern. A more efficient spray pattern= again, smoother/quieter operation, potential power increase (slight) and potential mileage increase (again, slight)

Now, I could be overlooking the possibility of the presence of a leak in my lines and or hoses. God forbid. But, if that be the case, then what I said above may not be so true.

If nothing else, a pump pushing fuel from the tank to the IP would make fuel filter swaps a world and a half easier. Might even decrease the chance of vapor-lock, though I've never heard of a TDI having that problem.

BTW, the gain seen by eliminating air might be small enough to do little more than offset the increased amp load. Might be less. Might be more. I might be an idiot. Who knows.
Your bubbles may be due to the t in the fuel filter make sure its not cracked.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I would have to agree w/Krout... I wouldn't use or consider the lift pump a fix for the bubble issue. It needs to be fixed before the installation of the pump. It's usually a matter of a poor fit of the 'T', cracked 'T', split/leaking return hose, worn hose @ one of the fittings and/or a distorted or faulty clamp. Using channel locks, etc. on the OEM spring clamps almost guarantees they will distort and leak. Another source of bubbles can be the plastic valve at the bottom of the filter. Sometimes they just need a tiny bit of tightening.

I've struggled with this on both mine and other cars in the past. Sometimes they are stubborn and a bit difficult to track down. Once, it was just a matter of replacing the fuel filter. My guess was that the O-Rings on the T and the filter just weren't getting along. Go figure... You're sucking air somewhere, you just need to be persistent and find out where. Good luck :)

DbLog

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 335d
Would someone mind posting a little more detailed info on the install? I've got it straight except for the + wire. Not 100% sure on the cutoff solonoid, relay portion. Finally got some time to do it and want to make sure. Thanks!!