3 bar map sensor install help

Rented_Sperry

TDI
00 Jetta ALH
I installed a 3 bar map sensor into my car. Before my car had lots of power like 24 pounds boost peak. But now that i installed this map sensor it seems less powerful? Do you have to set something on vagcom? Currently im only running around 21?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Did you have your ECU remapped to accommodate your new sensor?

If not.. that likely explains your issue.. since your ECU is expecting 0-5V to mean 0-2.5 bar... and now it means 0-3 bar. :):)

Not something you can do with VCDS... it's an ECU mapping thing.

Rented_Sperry

TDI
00 Jetta ALH
Did you have your ECU remapped to accommodate your new sensor?
If not.. that likely explains your issue.. since your ECU is expecting 0-5V to mean 0-2.5 bar... and now it means 0-3 bar. :):)
Not something you can do with VCDS... it's an ECU mapping thing.
So when your talking about a ecu mapping? Does this mean like getting your ecu tuned? I do want to get it tuned but im have bigger injectors on the way and want to install them first.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
Do it after you install the new nozzles then but... you can't just put a 3 bar map in without getting your ECU recalibrated for it. Whether that amounts to changing just that specific portion of the ECU tuning or an entire performance upgrade is up to you.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Yup, work with your tuner on what upgrades you are planning, install the tune, and then the upgrades.
To be clearer...the nozzles you can do whenever...but the 3bar needs the right map so pretty much needs to go on right after you load the tune. Or just live with your current poor performance...that's an option as well.

Rented_Sperry

TDI
00 Jetta ALH
To be clearer...the nozzles you can do whenever...but the 3bar needs the right map so pretty much needs to go on right after you load the tune. Or just live with your current poor performance...that's an option as well.
Okay well i have a couple spare intercoolers so ill swap out a stock one until i get the tune done. I also have to get the egr delete tuned in so guess i should contact someone. Do you guys know any tuners in the Ontario area? I dont know any, i have a spare ecu so i guess i could just send it out right?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
did you seal the holes that are made with the 3bar sensor vs the stock one?
if you don'r make a gasket or a special o-ring it will be a massive boost leak.
Some people are not aware of this difference between the two sensors.

Rented_Sperry

TDI
00 Jetta ALH
Really? I figured the oring would seal it because side by side they look the exact same? So you have to make a gasket for where it mounts to the intercooler?

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
look again!

(assuming you are talking about a 2000 model TDI)

Rented_Sperry

TDI
00 Jetta ALH
Does it matter if the map sensor is mounted on the intercooler.? I have one with the map sensor mounted in between where the egr valve and intercooler are. On that tube there!. It was off a 99.5

RichJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5spd
Okay well i have a couple spare intercoolers so ill swap out a stock one until i get the tune done. I also have to get the egr delete tuned in so guess i should contact someone. Do you guys know any tuners in the Ontario area? I dont know any, i have a spare ecu so i guess i could just send it out right?
I would go with a malone tune. Mark is in BC but has dealers in ontario. I use buzzken he is off the 404 in Markham. He downloads your ecu sends it to mark in BC, mark mods it and sends it back quickly followed by a quick flash and then your on your way. The next time you need it tweaked he has the file already and its even quicker.

Richard

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi

There's two options for the 3 bar sensor though, one is the same size and the other doesn't fit lol

Ones big and the other is small, one is the same size as the ALH and the other ain't basically so shouldn't need to add any extra sealing malarkey.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I had the small sensor w/big intercooler hole. Inner tube, X-acto knife and leather punches to the rescue.