photo scavenger hunt

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
I've got the extensive scavenger hunt assembled! Finished last night. Hoping you guys enjoy!! More later
I am very much looking forward to this, and very thankful to you for putting it together for us! :)

Without giving away too much of it (I'm a big believer in surprises for this sort of thing), can you give us a little bit of an idea what kinds of thing we may be looking for/seeing in this?

(I went ahead and moved this out of the agenda thread into its own so we can keep it all in one place.)

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
For those of you arriving early (Thursday or Friday morning), the scavenger hunt list will get posted on Friday morning. Feel free to spend some time exploring the area and taking pictures - the more challenges you complete, the more raffle tickets you will earn! :cool:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2003 JSW TDI 5MT ,2012 Jetta TDI 6MT, 2013 jetta TDI 6MT
Sorry for the delayed response! Camping is best done with no cell coverage! So here are some of the guidelines and rules for the contest in no specific order.
The name of the game is to have fun and earn additional raffle tickets with your keen eye, sense of google-fu and perhaps some luck as well :) I'll publish the photo list at the published starting time of the fest, and then you are free to start taking pictures of items on the list.
I'll provide more details on how to submit your entries, etc. as we get closer to go time! Here are the basic rules that we'll be running by:

Photo Scavenger Hunt Rules
We've put together some very simple and easy to follow rules that will keep everyone safe and having fun!
RULES:
1. If your image is not named and numbered correctly, it won’t count.
2. If the contest organizers decide your image does not match the description, it won’t count.
3. If you appear naked (no matter how awesome you think you look), endanger yourself or others, destroy or vandalize property, or commit a crime (I can’t imagine what crime would be worth trying to win a scavenger hunt, but hey, stranger things have happened!), your efforts won’t count!
4. Person, Place or Thing. Means ACTUAL item. You may NOT take a photo of a photo of a lumberjack, nor may you find the image online and pretend that you took the pic. That’s just lame!
5. Each picture may count only for one item. Example: a photo of a African barn swallow sitting on a Corrado is either a picture of a African barn swallow OR a Corrado, NOT BOTH.
6. Number your photos. If we cannot figure out what your picture is, it won't count. See #1 if you need clarification.
7. NEVER EVER do anything dangerous, illegal, or damage property! We do not want you hurt in any way nor do we want to piss off the natives. You are NOT REQUIRED to do them ALL, as this is supposed to be for fun!
8. Team with the most points wins a bonus! Points are awarded based on difficulty which is noted next to the description of what you have to take a picture of. Points will be rewarded with raffle tickets, so collect as many as you can! Don't forget to have fun!

Last edited:

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
Thank you! Good ground rules. There are a few I wouldn't have thought of because it never would have occurred to me that they would be needed (such as #4). :rolleyes:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Thank you! Good ground rules. There are a few I wouldn't have thought of because it never would have occurred to me that they would be needed (such as #4). :rolleyes:
:) I was in a fraternity.... Nothing is beyond my belief of possible... :)

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
It can be individual or team based, but the amount of tickets will be split among your team if you go that route. Easy enough to do it per person! I just finished verifying the list of items to find to make sure they are find-able. They are! And when in doubt, ask a local for directions... They will surely tell ya that ya can't get theyah for heyah. R's are omitted except in words startin with it :)

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
They will surely tell ya that ya can't get theyah for heyah. R's are omitted except in words startin with it :)
Ah, I'm startin' to see some similarities in y'all's language up there and ours down here. G's disappear from the ends of our words...and I think y'all's dropped R's get picked up and inserted all over the place by some southerners (or, at least, West Virginians). :p

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
. R's are omitted except in words startin with it :)

That's not true. We lop the last 'r' off certain words like car, lobster, here, and harbor, then substitute an 'ah' in its place. So those words then become cah, lobstah, heah, and habah. But, bring frugal and not wanting to throw anything away that can be used 'latah' (see how I did that?)' the lost 'r' is then added to certain words that should have had one in the first place, like bananer (banana), Auguster (Augusta, the state Capitol), or idear (idea).

Of course, these are not hard and fast rules, so you should know when they apply and when they don't. When in doubt, consult the dictionary. Improper use age will lead to 'natives' finding out you're 'from away' and will usually result in less than local treatment.

And be sure to check out the Maine State Song (hey, if'n it ain't one, it aught to be). Just listen to the words rather than watch the video, it'll make more sense that way.

Last edited:

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
Don't share too much Abacus... We don't want them to all think they are talkin' like us :)

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Here is the long-awaited photo scavenger hunt list!

You have 48 hours to get pictures of as many items as you can! The scavenger hunt ends at 11am on Sunday!

We are awarding 1 raffle ticket for every 5 points worth of pictures that you take.

Pictures MUST be submitted to the self-service kiosk in the TDIFest conference room. Instructions for submitting photos will be posted at the computer and various cables to connect your phone/device will be provided.

Click here for the list --- https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1zRQzsfAtu9z3At5lZ1gCwXH2FXjEEvc2mftOrEUTTyg/edit?usp=sharing

I recommend printing the list for easy reference.

Last edited:

millere5815

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
No, you just need a picture of the item.

But please don't try to do this from your computer (ie, don't just submit a bunch of pics you find online). This is meant to be a fun way to explore the area, so enjoy!
I was just checking. I'm use to the scavenger hunt thread on here, which is "your tdi with".

VeeDubTDI

TDI

Here is the kiosk in the registration suite for people to submit their photos. Instructions are listed.

Ticket value changed to ONE ticket for every FIVE points earned.

spacemonkeymafia

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2013 beetle!
There is a question here about naming and numbering the pictures, as the printed list of pictures does not have numbers on it. So...how should that be handled?

vwUMO

TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
My bad... I omitted the number column by accident. We can just add a column and fill down.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Just a reminder to load/submit your pictures periodically throughout the weekend to avoid a long line on Sunday! :)