A5 clutch torque rating.

06SpiceRedTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Spice Red TDI Jetta, 2006.5 DSG Platinum Gray TDI
So what I gather from all of the data that I have been reading here is that the clutch used in the MKV is the same clutch that was designed for the ALH motor in an MKIV which is only rated at 155 ft/lbs of torque, and the actual max torque rating on these clutch is 170 ft/lbs. So the real reason that there is so many clutches going out is the fact that the max torque rating of the clutch is actually exceeded by the PD100 in our cars which is rated at 177 ft/lbs. of torque throw in a heavier car than this clutch was designed for and you have a recipe for disaster.

2footbraker

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta, 01 Golf
I don't think there is anything wrong with the clutch itself. I have never experienced clutch slippage with the stock clutch. However, now I can handle 300 ft-lbs. so I am not worried.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Several of us are doing fine with the stock clutch while running RC1+ and a whole lot more than the stock 177 ft-lbs.

Bill

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I've gone about 5k miles since my reflash and the clutch seems fine... At least I havn't noticed any changes in the way it feels.

elweasel

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta Black pkg 2
Bill and Soot,
What is the build date of the cars? If it is after 03/06 I would not expect any problems. I think VW made an oops and does not want to pay for the repairs since the problem was limited.

SootHappens

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
My car has a build date of 04/2006... as homerspice said :rolleyes:

Although VW 'may' have changed it in some way, I still don't feel like I should count on it for a long time behind my chipped motor... don't want to get my expectations too high, but so far so good.

Last edited: