Is this social media

Is Fred''s TDI club social media?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I don't participate on Facebook or any other social media or so I thought.

I ask everyone

Is this social media and why or why not?

Andrew

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
I say no. Why don't you define what you think social media is?

This is an online forum. Something that has been around before the Internet, except back then it might have been called a Bulletin Board System (BBS). It wasn't online in the sense we have defined it today, but it was done on a computer through a connection to another system so people could share information.

Sharing information on a forum is not in the truest sense called social media.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I would say this is social media. Individuals sharing information is social IMO, our interactions on this forum are shared, it is a very public place. We happen to have a mutual interest, and for the most part we discuss our TDI's.

A bulletin board it may be, but I'd certainly call that "media". The World Wide Web, or Internet if you will, has opened up our range of interactions, we are a social primate. The depth, breadth, and scope of experience, opinions and knowledge on this forum is extraordinary. I find it extremely valuable.

My $.02.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
If you read and post, yes, you're participating in social media. If you just read I'd say no.
Forums like this did exist before the term Social Media became vogue.
Wikipedia-
Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Social media to me is the context that you post for the benefit of getting information out to others. Facebook, Instagram, Myspace, etc. are centered around you sharing information as the central point and you can interact based on those posts/photos/messages.

An online forum like this one is not. Sure, we share information, but nothing here is centered around each person. The online component does not make it social media. I see different interpretations of what social media is. I don't think Wikipedia is the definitive definition.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
FWIW, as a vendor we categorize forums as social media. I think other companies do, too.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
I would say no. I think publicly shared media would be a more appropriate definition of this forum. The "social" aspect of shared media does not seem to be the intent of this forum.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
Because of all the stories of people posting pics of what they had at Applebee's or how wonderful their lives are or people downight being rude, obnoxious or bullying I decided not to open that can of worms.
I'm glad to be here though even if it may be social media.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
although this type of website, a forum based, is social media category, i would say do to the nature of how small this is compared to what we deem as typical social media, this is a sub level for sure. TO get to the point of why you asked, i would not say it is because you dont do that, yet you post here, that means by your definition this can not be the social media you cant post on.
This website is like saying, facebook that you can only post about cats and cat related things.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
Interesting question and some great answers.

Should add a poll on the first post......I vote yes.

It is media and definitely social....at times... for some.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Technically, yes this is social media. But I voted "no", because social media is one of those neato buzzwords like "cloud" or "web 2.0". This is an internet forum.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
HA, its been 6 years since i have heard or read the works "web 2.0"

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Because of all the stories of people posting pics of what they had at Applebee's or how wonderful their lives are or people downight being rude, obnoxious or bullying I decided not to open that can of worms.
Social Media is even worse than you think it is. Of all the official social media, I only ever took part in Facebook, and I deleted that several years ago now. It's a bad habit...lol.

This forum, or forums like this one, are not social media imho. I can see how it could be categorized as such as IBW says above, but to me personally, it is not.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I say no, but then I don’t want to call it social media. I despise Facebook and related anti-social media. I sat in my car in the parking lot last night waiting for my wife and daughter to exit a craft type store. Almost everyone who pulled up in the lot, just had to check their phone before going in, sometimes sitting for several minutes.

Does Facebook help people with any kind of problems technical or otherwise as happens here?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
overlapping content, but distinct

A forum has some things in common with social media, but a forum is not shallow and transient (frivolous). A forum provides a venue for sharing knowledge, not just events.

This forum is an excellent example of a valuable resource for in depth and thorough presentation of useful information to learn about complex problems, and actually get things done. We use youtube, photohosting resources and other internet/forum references to enhance the content of our posts in ways that social media is just not designed for. Social media is compatible with/made for cell phones. Forum topics oriented towards doing automotive research really benefit from computer monitor quality, not small rectangular screens! Yes, you can use your cell phone for this forum, but a big screen is better for most projects.

One manifestation of this difference is the amount of time that you spend doing research on a topic on this forum. Contrast that with the transient uselessness of social media, the difference becomes more clear. Social media wastes time, whereas a good forum delivers valuable content.

Another distinct difference... no one here will have a traffic accident caused by trying to post or read a post on TDIClub forums.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
There are a bunch of enthusiast facebook pages for TDIs and other diesels, pages like this: https://www.facebook.com/groups/24097854515/?ref=bookmarks

Many of them are closed groups, available only by invitation. The link I provided may not work because of this, it's hard for me to tell since I'm automatically logged in.

I'm guilty of sitting in my car checking my phone on occasion. We use text-based messaging at IDParts, it's a primary way for us to communicate within the company. So I need to check my phone when I'm not moving.

And don't think you can't post on TDIClub while driving. It would be a challenge, but I'm willing to bet people have done it.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
To the naysayers, you may well be entitled to say and think what you like, although the 1st Amendment does have limitations, and the Thought Police ain't here yet. You are not entitled to your own definitions of language however, semantics matter, this is why there
are dictionaries.

Facebook may be reviled by some, but it is only part of the much wider context of communications and interactions through
the variety of platforms that are used. From the printed page to cuneiforms on clay tablets to our screens.

Media is a record that can be observed by others, the Kalahari Bushmen can read a lot from tracks in the sand. For them it's an open book that there society relies on.

Blazing a trail is a form of "social media". A message to others.
{:eek:)

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
What are you rambling about? This site is not social media because it's intent is not about social interactions between people. A more correct description of this site would be "Industrial Media" (citation #1) or "Publicly Shared Media" (no Citation).

Social Media definition from the Merriam Webster dictionary. (Citation #2)

Both forms of media, Social and Industrial, share some of the same aspects, but are two different types of shared media.

1. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_media#Distinction_from_other_media
  2. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/social media

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
From your first link:

Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. The variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available introduces challenges of definition; however, there are some common features:[1]
  • Social media are interactive Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.[1][2]
  • User-generated content, such as text posts or comments, digital photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions, are the lifeblood of social media.[1][2]
  • Users create service-specific profiles for the website or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.[1][3]
  • Social media facilitate the development of online social networks by connecting a user's profile with those of other individuals or groups.[1][3]
Seems that TDIClub fits that description.

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I voted no; more like a club to me. Lot's of helpful info. here for TDI enthusiasts.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
Poignant and all too true.

I may be rambling Ol' Rattler from out here over the bleachers in
left field with my literalism, but when was the last time you consulted
a dictionary? {:eek:)

Thoughtful debate coupled with a certain amount of introspection is always healthy IMO. Downright educational for all parties!

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
From your first link:

Social media are computer-mediated technologies that facilitate the creation and sharing of information, ideas, career interests and other forms of expression via virtual communities and networks. The variety of stand-alone and built-in social media services currently available introduces challenges of definition; however, there are some common features:[1]
  • Social media are interactive Web 2.0 Internet-based applications.[1][2]
  • User-generated content, such as text posts or comments, digital photos or videos, and data generated through all online interactions, are the lifeblood of social media.[1][2]
  • Users create service-specific profiles for the website or app that are designed and maintained by the social media organization.[1][3]
  • Social media facilitate the development of online social networks by connecting a user's profile with those of other individuals or groups.[1][3]
Seems that TDIClub fits that description.
Read the entire citation under Business Potential.............

Social Media and Publicly Shared Media share the same delivery methods. Your post addresses the delivery method, not the content.

Last edited:

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Five minutes of my life gone. Irretrievably lost reading this thread.

I hope there's no lasting effect other than a sense of regret; no urge to join FB or something.

I could have spent that time reading a thread on rolling coall