No Start; Lift Pump Issue

Idaho Johnny

TDI
2003 VW Golf TDI
I'm trying to replace a fuel lift pump in my 2003 VW Golf TDI, but I hear there shouldn't be one. There IS one however (1J0 919 183H), BUT it appears as if it has no power making it to the wires that connect to it.
I couldn't find a fuel pump relay, which further makes me think there wasn't one originally. (I don't know what the previous owner did).

If I want to replace whatever is there, what am I purchasing?... if not a lift pump? I need to replace the pump that is there with whatever SHOULD be there because it appears as if there is major fuel restriction going on... and there isn't power making it there anyway.

Please help...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Google that part number. It shows as a pick up, not a pump. Yours has two small wires going to it, right? They are like 18 or 20 gauge wires? Those are for the sending unit and would not be able to carry the load of the pump.

Why do you think there is a restriction?

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
OP, you're posting in multiple threads (and people keep telling you the same thing). PLEASE READ/LISTEN to what folks are saying.

At this point this is close to being a troll job.

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
A 2003 has no lift pump, just a fuel sender, and there no power back there because the fuel sender needs no power. Proof. :)

And, if for some strange reason a previous owner had added a lift pump there would be 4 wires at the harness AND power.

Betcha only got two wires back there. :) :)

Last edited: