Low Boost Code / MAF Code

mixedgas=hauledass

TDI
2004 Volkswagen Beetle TDI pd
Hey everyone, So I just got to the bottom of why my OBD2 port would not communicate, now to try to determine the reason for why the car is behaving in the manner it is.

One morning I went to go for a drive, got into my car, and it had virtually no power. Got my scanner to read codes, but it would not communicate. Because of the lack of power and the fact that it was limited to a seemingly exact 110kmph, I reasoned something had tripped it into limp mode. I should mention that I was driving this vehicle the evening earlier and it did not display any signs of dramatic power loss...I would say though, that over the last year It did feel down on power from years past, but it has 515000km.

I've noticed over the last year the seals on my turbo are starting to go (charge pipe and Intercooler are a little greasy) but I have seen worse. I have not checked the shaft play since I last did and EGR delete and plenum clean about 20,000km ago. The code that trips in relation to the Turbo is P0299. Now that I have got my scanner to communicate, it tells me that the 2 most common reasons for this code trip are turbo failure, or wastegate bypass regulator failure.

The second code that trips is P0101. So heres a thing. I had a totally freak situation happen two springs ago. I had just done a brake job and I took the vehicle down the road to see if all the air was bleed from the system. It wasn't. Before I could turn around, a local farmers dog jumped out from the weeds along the side of the road. I slammed on the brakes and it split my brake booster into two pieces. I instantly lost all brakes and went mowing the grass for about 50ft taking out only one small tree. That tree wrecked my lower valance, and smacked into my rad...it broke off the lower rad support stem, but I fixed that. It did put a hairline crack in the upper rad support stem but it didn't start leaking until about 2 months ago. When I fixed the leak, I did not put the inner fenders back on as I was going to be doing another maintenance job in the upcoming week. One week turned into two weeks, and I live on small section of dirt road... for whatever reason, I completely didn't think about the pick up for air box being in that area. When I was trying to determine why my OBD2 port wasn't communicating, I got to unplugging my MAF to see it this would bring up my comm. When I opened my airbox to get at the MAF, I was pretty upset to see the shape of my filter. So I just cleaned the airbox, put in a new filter and took out the MAF and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner and blew it out. So, if my MAF code retrips, how can I test it to actually confirm that it has failed?
Also, one of the suggestions that my scanner gives my for fixes to my low boost code, is a faulty MAF. Anyone have any opinions on if these two problems might be linked. Anyone have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot a MAF or a Wastegate bypass regulator. I have realized there has probably someone who has been here before. Hopefully no one has been threw a split booster, as that **** sucked and was as weird as anything. Thought I would put it out here before I start tearing things apart.

Help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Brandon

Last edited: