1st post on the forum but will need help 1st...

rpmjunky

Banned
TDI
2005 PD TDI Red Spice Jetta Wagon
this is my first post on the forum but it will have to be one seeking help...

on my way home i hit a hugh chunk of metal & dragged under the car & start busting things...on the rest of the way home (~3 miles) i had no boost so i suspected turbo was out or something related to it...
after i got home took almost all under body plastic shields off & assessed the situation & figured out that my intercooler was busted... i looked & found that the molded plastic portion of the aluminum intercooler return to intake side had a crack & was missing some broken off plastic pieces...so, is this end of my engine???

the car is 2005 jetta wagon pd tdi & wondering if anything had sucked into the return to intake side of the turbo / intercool sys is there anything in between the piping to catch any large debree???

i'm freaking out...not really but need help quick...
i sent off some price quote to jeff@ undergroundvw & richie @ mount prospect VW for new intercooler & related piping and all underbody plastic pieces including the lower valence...does anyone have these parts for sale??? is upgrading side mount intercooler a common one such that these stock parts are regularly being scraped in one's grage???

please help!!!

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Re: 1st post on the forum but will need help 1st..

Don't make multiple threads about the same topic, that will get you banned.

Welcome

I'd go through your insurance if you hit something while driving, but unless you sucked up a bunch of rocks or dirt through the gaping whole in the intercooler then you should be ok.

rpmjunky

Banned
TDI

oops...
i will learn & move on...i think my question was more technical than what you've precieved initially...
the hole is on the interface between the aluminum intercooler & the plastic mold that this aluminum piece is attached to connect to the intake pipe going back to intake manifold. i'm wondering if there's any kind of things like "mesh" to catch any debree prior to entering the intake manifold...

anyone???
thx Slave2school for your reply but i need someone that knows what i'm talking about to help me...

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

The plastic part is the "end tank" of the intercooler is it not? If it busted off there I don't think there is any screen or anything in the tube prior to the IM, so possibly if you were on boost while this happened the car could have sucked up little chunks of plastic from the intercooler. Not cool at all if that is the case. If you get the chance a picture might help the slow ones like me see what you are talking about if I am still not understanding what you are after

rpmjunky

Banned
TDI

hey slave...
i got out to the car again after your post & confirmed that the busted portion is on the exhaust side therefore, i think i'm ok as far as ingesting any broken plastic into intake manifold...
thx for your reply & i'll keep you all posted...
i don't think i'll claim this with insurance since it looks like i can handle with my relatively inexperienced diy-ability...

someone replied back with figure of closed to $200 + for underbody plastic parts...i'm leaning towards Aluminum oil pan guard...

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
The question I have is about you living in California nad having an 05 Jetta TDI.

How did you pull off that one?

rpmjunky

Banned
TDI
just ordered new parts to repair the damage...
i'm out about $700 but ~$200 went to the oem skid plate purchase. i'll see how this work out & consider dieselgeek's aluminum skid plate on my vr6 (lowered 1.5" with pss9).

thx all for helping