Competent mechanic in Albany, NY, area?

Redspring

Can anyone recommend a reasonably competent mechanic within a reasonable distance of Albany, NY?

I've been through a number of different shops with my 2000 Golf TDI (just turned 90k, all stock) and it seems like I'm telling the mechanic more than they're telling me.

And the scary part is I don't know that much.

Suggestions welcome ...

Thanks.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
What are you looking to do?

Redspring

The car has been increasingly sluggish.

So I want to hook it up to a VAG tool, confirm my theory that the MAF needs replacing, and put in a new one if necessary. While I'm at it I'd like to clean the snow screen.

Plus the brakes are a little soft and I think it might be time for pads and/or rotors.

Plus I'd like to have someone who really knows these cars look it over and let me know what to do to keep the car running strong for another couple hundred thousand miles.

Gordon

tdi_bug

I'm not sure how they are with the tdi's but hackel's on central avenue is a vw shop. They are right next to fuller road.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I live in Clifton Park. I'm not a mechanic, but I could help diagnose your car's ills, and it won't cost you anything!

NYTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Golf TDI AUTOMATIC trans. GLS w/PLX package silver/black cloth
[ QUOTE ]
VelvetFoot said:
I live in Clifton Park. I'm not a mechanic, but I could help diagnose your car's ills, and it won't cost you anything!

[/ QUOTE ]

/images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Also could ask at cooldubs.com It's a Capital District VW (not tdi specific) site.

Redspring

Thanks. I think you may have already helped (if it was you who did such a great job setting the timing after my mechanic screwed it up).

Now I need to put in a new MAF, and maybe a vaccuum hose to correct a weird intermittent brake-boost leak.

Any chance we could hook the car up to your VAG tool after I put in the new MAF?

Thanks again!

Gordon