Max EGT temperature on TDi's

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
With 12mm head on 11mm pump, 5 holes R520's and the gtb2260 I can only get my car to 1375-1425 deg max pushing it as hard as I can on the pedal, the egt probe is very thin and sensible, mounted right on the turbo, my car only have a puff of smoke at the beggining when I am rolling then after that I have no smoke whatsoever, ... what are the max egt's for this turbo? I am still not too clear about it..

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
... what are the max egt's for this turbo? I am still not too clear about it..
Was asked in previous post:

Sorry old thread but whats the max EGT's for a 2260 on a PD?

Thanks
Bobby
Answered here:

1050C/1922F continious. They use the same alloy as newer jet engines like the GE90-115B and GEnx-1/2.

There are some new alloys coming that will take that beyond 1370C/2500F without any cooling support ie internal cooling channels.

On the PD you won't melt anything until arround 2000F and even then it will take 5-10 minutes to actually deform the turbine blades.
I was happy to find this little piece of info myself, even running logs my EGTs got well over 1700F in 4th every time.:eek:

With 12mm head on 11mm pump, 5 holes R520's and the gtb2260 I can only get my car to 1375-1425 deg max pushing it as hard as I can on the pedal, the egt probe is very thin and sensible, mounted right on the turbo, my car only have a puff of smoke at the beggining when I am rolling then after that I have no smoke whatsoever...
Could have sworn I saw some drag vids of TDI Fest in '10 of your car. Wasn't terribly smokey but not absent of smoke either. Anything change since then?

Sounds like you might be able to make use of more fuel with your set-up...

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
Could have sworn I saw some drag vids of TDI Fest in '10 of your car. Wasn't terribly smokey but not absent of smoke either. Anything change since then?

Sounds like you might be able to make use of more fuel with your set-up...[/QUOTE]

When I raced at the TDI fest, I had series of issues with my car, it had just been recently rebuilt and also 2260 had been recently installed in TX,,and I was still having issues from left to right, vacuum pump was leaking at a makeshift tubing that went over 2260 inlet air pipe,,turbo gasket was leaking,,giving so much smoke, RC tune was not properly adjusted of course it was done on a fly by Jeff, as a matter fact I worked on my car past 3:30 am the same day trying to get it ready for racing. and if it was not for Justin (oldpoopie) Jeff (RC) Oldgreaser,and David (Tdiintexas) my car would not have raced at Woodburn.

Now the car runs like a champ, it was until Jeff RC came to Bay area last year when he really did his magic on my car and I was also able to fix other issues that I had ,,,of course I agree with you my car needs bigger nozzles that I know..

and txs for the answer about egt's but I was lazy enough and did not want to go back and read from page 1 on this thread,,,

Last edited:

A5INKY

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI, 2002 Eurovan Westphalia VR6
When I raced at the TDI fest, I had series of issues with my car, it had just been recently rebuilt and also 2260 had been recently installed in TX,,and I was still having issues from left to right, vacuum pump was leaking at a makeshift tubing that went over 2260 inlet air pipe,,turbo gasket was leaking,,giving so much smoke, RC tune was not properly adjusted of course it was done on a fly by Jeff, as a matter fact I worked on my car past 3:30 am the same day trying to get it ready for racing. and if it not was for Justin (oldpoopie) Jeff (RC) and Oldgreaser my car would not have raced at Woodburn.

Now the car runs like a champ, it was until Jeff RC came to Bay area last year when he really did his magic on my car and I was also able to fix other issues that I had ,,,of course I agree with you my car needs bigger nozzles that I know..

and txs for the answer about egt's but I was lazy enough and did not want to go back and read from page 1 on this thread,,,
I hear ya on the time it takes to dial it in. David and I finished the first iteration of install of his stuff in TX in May and I am just now more or less happy with it. Not that the Driver's Fire parts aren't top notch, they are. Just that these big turbo builds are complicated and take a lot of effort to make everything play well together. Many loose ends to tie up.

Reading some of these threads makes it sound so straightforward to make big power with a TDI. It really never is...

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
I've been curious about what the inside of the turbo on the exhaust side would look like if we had a way to visually "see" inside the turbo while in operation with high EGTs. Would the turbine, VNT vanes, and inside surface of the turbine housing all be glowing bright orange-hot? :confused: I would expect hot parts and surfaces to be glowing anywhere from a dull cherry red to a bright orange.

Last edited:

kmeist88

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 2001 TDI Wrangler, 2006 Liberty CRD, 2009 F-250 Powerstroke
Not to stir up an old post, but I was freaking out over my 1400°F+ egts on my TDI Wrangler until I found this, thanks for everyone's input! I was baffled that I survived some 1800-1900°F hill climbs with 40-60 mph head winds until I read this whole thread.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
depends on the turbo, and the aloy the hot side is made of. flow, boost, other variations help. but 1900*F? i have seen a few spikes here and there of 1600*F and it killed my gt2052. what turbo you running? where exactly is the EGT probe?

kmeist88

TDI
2006 Jetta, 2002 Jetta, 2001 TDI Wrangler, 2006 Liberty CRD, 2009 F-250 Powerstroke
It's just the vnt-15, with the probe curved basically right into the inlet of the turbo. I'm sure the turbo it's going to take this forever, but I've got 10k miles on it running 1200-1400 constantly, and alot of those peak temps. I don't have much money into the build so it was kind of a test run to see what it can handle. I'm thinking my huge 4core radiator and intercooler 2x the size of stock plus head studs is the the only reason I'm surviving

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
More boost. Intercooler is not necessarily the answere.

kmeist88

TDI
Ya from what I'm reading the vnt17 isn't even big enough to do anything, and most bigger ones are just out of my budget. Gotta have to watch for a used one I guess.