MN Chat Thread

astrolumen

TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5-speed Stock
Hey folks, I just picked up 5 qts Mobil 1 TDT at the Auto Zone for 25.99 +tx. It comes with a filter that doesn't fit our engines, but I got them to give me one that would at least fit though the brand is STP. I might use it to catch the first hundred miles of my new change before I slip in the MANN. To locate a store near you go here: http://www.autozone.com/store_locator/home.htm

Hope you can pick some up. There were only 8 qts available at the University Ave location I went to today.

cochranecustoms

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 VW Beetle TDI
Anyone tried Schaffer oil in the MN area. Neibhor swears by it and runs it in all hes veichles and toys. Thanks

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
diesel purge

Anyone in Mpls. have the tubings and fitting avail for the purge on a PD which I could borrow?

Thanks, feel free to PM me!

Jim

astrolumen

TDI
After reading back a few more pages on this thread I feel like I'm getting to know you all pretty well. I also realize that my oil post above probably came off like an advertisement but I was just excited to find Mobil 1 on promo and TDT available (in qt size, nonetheless).

A little about me and my TDI so far: purchased 02 Golf manual w/ 83k 3 weeks ago and drove it home from Spokane. Learned what I needed to know and the questions to ask from this forum (and a phone call to JasonTDI). Returning home to MN I've now changed all the filters and the oil, the TB (dieselgeek deluxe) with the help of a friend and the instructions/vids on this forum and the Bentley, flushed the coolant and refilled ~1:1 with G12. I've also been trying to get rid of a GP fault code from #4 gp but it's at the point where I think I'm going to switch it out (all GPs read 1.5ohm except the one throwing the fault ~0.5.)

I've got a panzer skid plate sitting in my apt hallway waiting to be installed that I plan on doing in a few weeks as well as waiting to do my EGR/intake cleaning. With the help of said friend's Vag-Com we've upped the EGR value to a little below the max legal emissions limit/specification.

When I was checking out the air filter system I noticed one of the two previous owners had ripped out the snow screen. I was a little surprised to find that, but not too concerned. MANN cold filter should mostly take care of that along with emptying the air box (of dead rodents!??) from time to time.

I had a little chuckle when I saw that it took a few other folks 9 hours to change the A3 TB back in January because for me that little operation took even longer than I'd care to admit on the ALH. :eek:

I'm very much looking forward to putting names to faces at the next GTG and showing off my utterly stock TDI.

-Bjorn

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Well I haven't been on forum much lately, been to busy at work and in shop doing body work & painting my TDI. Last week finally got car put back together, still need to compound it and wax it so it would look shiny. Will post pictures later this week.

I'm planning on coming to MN on june 20, so maybe we can GTG and have lunch or something. If any of you are interested PM me or give me call.

astrolumen

TDI
Thought there might be a few of you on here that might appreciate this. I wanted to save this for an appropriate time, but I know I'll just forget about it.

EDIT: forgot to give the guy credit: www.toothpastefordinner.com

Last edited:

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
astrolumen said:
Thought there might be a few of you on here that might appreciate this. I wanted to save this for an appropriate time, but I know I'll just forget about it.

I like this comic! Too bad it won't work on our cars as homeopathy is nothing but water (OOoo and ENERGY VIBRATIONS!)

greekman

TDI
97 Passat TDI / 2006 jetta tdi pkg 2
Hey All Just Purchased My First TDI !!!!

Hello All
Just wanted to ring in that after trying to absorb as much info as i could off this site (and others but not near as helpfull) i purchased my first passat tdi and am loving it. fFew to Tennesee and drove it home to the fridigid north MN International Falls great trip and 42mpg average to home. :) :D

bkrahmer

TDI
2006 Passat Wagon
Bringing her 'home' to MN

Long-time occasional lurker here. I'm a MN native, left when I was 23 (10 years ago), and will be starting the process of moving back to MN this weekend. I'm bringing my 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI with me. She'll hit 76k miles on sunday, so I have to start thinking about getting my timing belt parts soon. Anybody in the MN or midwest area willing to send me a vag-com to borrow for a few days when I'm ready? I will pay for shipping both ways.
I pumped up the tires to 38 today to see if I can get improved mileage. On the trip from ID to MN, I usually get 42-44mpg running at 78mph. I'm starting a new job where I'll have to drive 20 miles each way each day (my longest commute ever!), so I'm thinking of doing a .658 gear switch. Since MN has only a 70mph speed limit on the interstate, that should get me 2mpg.
BTW, my destination is Jackson MN. There's a couple other Jettas in town, but I may be the only TDI.

cheers,
brian

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
FYI, I just ordered a VAS 6262 tool It's the one to refill the DSG. I had asked a while back and no one had one. ($100) Now I have to be really nice to Greengeeker and see if he would stop by in 2k miles with his VAG-COM.

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Wtb

My GF has suffered a totalling hail damage on her mazda. Now she wants to put that money towards better economy. Anyone have a line on a good, clean used vehicle that gets better than 35MPG?

Thanks, Jim

PS: still looking for a diesel purge set up. Anyone knwo if MerkerGuitars is around?

QtmMech

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta 5-speed
Thanks, Greengeeker!

I only thought of doing this after the GTG. Figures . . .

Jim

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Anyone knows of an independent shop in MN that is able to do a TB and a DSG fluid change on my '06 A5 ?

(yes, they do come up at around the same time, I am on my second tranny)

astrolumen

TDI
10then34-
I know bringing your TDI to a shop of any kind is always a point of contention, but I also know that many of the shade-tree and "guru" mechanics on the forum know the A4 ALH set up the best. When I was thinking of doing my TB I called up Good Carma in Mpls to see what kind of work they've done on TDIs. Dave, I think his name is, assured me that they had done "countless". They do seem like a good bunch of guys. I think you'd end up spending 8-900 there. But again, your engine is newer so they would be probably part of the same pattern of knowing the ALH better. Just my thoughts.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
10then34 said:
Anyone knows of an independent shop in MN that is able to do a TB and a DSG fluid change on my '06 A5 ?

(yes, they do come up at around the same time, I am on my second tranny)
PM to Greengeeker or Merquguiatar, they would be able to help you find someone or do thems selfs. I've meet them at last GTG and they are great guys to work with.

MPLSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta DSG
We need to have another GTG, maybe sometime in July? Anyone?
I'm open on the 20th, but that maybe too short of notice.

10then34, I just bought the DSG tool for refilling the DSG. But I don't have VAG-com to check the trans temp.

Last edited:

astrolumen

TDI
MPLSTDI said:
We need to have another GTG, maybe sometime in July? Anyone?
I'm open on the 20th, but that maybe too short of notice.
I would love to attend my first GTG in July but I definitely don't have the access to suggest a good place to do so. The only weekends I can't do it are the 4th and the 25th. Items I'm thinking of doing: EGR/Intake cleaning, front wheel bearing change, brake flush, rear brake replacement (pads/rotors), replace a glow plug, possibly some suspension stuff.

I have only very basic socket tools, so would need to loan bearing and brake tools.

Anyone else interested in a GTG?

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
A late July or early August GTG might be good. That should be far enough out to plan.

Anyone want to host? I've thought of hosting sometime. If I didnt have so many projects going on in my shop right now I'd volunteer. Could fit 2 cars inside with room to spare, could probably fit 4 depending on work being done. Shop will be air-conditioned within the next week or so. More room out in the driveway.

Realistically I probably couldnt host until maybe this winter at the earliest. The wife has lots of plans for my time once the Bug gets running.

Last edited:

10then34

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta
Ideal would be a shop in the cities, I fly out of MSP every once in a while.

While I love to do stuff myself, I barely have the time to change my oil these days.

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
PhatBox power cord picture and description please

As you may recall that I got a new used Beetle last year to replace the one I totalled. It came with the PhatBox instead of a CD changer. I was given everything for the phatbox stuff. So I started looking into it as it is summer now. But it is missing the power cord to the USB cradle for the PC. I emailed the owner and he told me that he has a bunch of them so we dont know which is which. I just need the picture and the description of voltage. Once I get it then I will head to his house and find it.

Thanks.

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
DB

Standard Wall Wart Design

Output

7.5 Volts DC
1A
center positive

Input 120VAC 60 Hz 15W

Sam

Last edited:

Vollmer

TDI
none
Hey everyone..I am definitely a newb to the forum and to TDI's. I just purchased a 2002 Jetta and finally had a chance to poke around under the engine a little bit yesterday. The only "repair" I did was to empty the fuel filter of water. I put the filter back in, and the car started, but died on me before I could drive it. Later in the evening it started and ran fine. Then this morning, I tried to start it but had mixed results.....it would not start, but would crank and crank, then it started but died. I checked the anti-shutter valve, but that seemed to be in working order. Does anyone have any ideas about whether I personally did something to the car, or what I can do to try and get it going again????? Thanks!

SpamJ

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2002 Silver
are you seeing any air in the fuel line going to the Injector Pump? you may not have gotten a good seal on the fuel filter? Most people fill the the filter housing back with fuel when the fuel filter is emptied.

Vollmer

TDI
none
Spamjohnson said:
are you seeing any air in the fuel line going to the Injector Pump? you may not have gotten a good seal on the fuel filter? Most people fill the the filter housing back with fuel when the fuel filter is emptied.
I had not filled the fuel filter after draining it, but I did not drain the fuel completely, maybe only 1/2 cup or so.

I went ahead and took it out again, filled it up, and made sure to seal everything well. After attempting to start it a couple times, it finally turned over and is now running just fine again.

Thanks a lot for your help! Hope to make it out to the next gtg and start to figure out some of this TDI craze:D

TDI'watcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS 4A Black on Black
Make sure you didn't nick the o rings on the thermostatic tee when/if you were taking that out. You'll get some unnessasary hard starts.

MethylEster

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1999.5. Red, 5 Spd
Biodiesel above B2 ? Where ?

Any one know where I can buy biodiesel above a B2 % ? Would like to keep the drive to under 50 miles from Lakeville.

Called Amcon in Northfield and they said only B2. Called T&T Auto and they also said only B2. The Apple Valley Marathon station is not selling B20 this season, only B2.