alh tdi tune

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
I just have a quick question. My 02 tdi jetta has a tuned computer and its tuned to match .216 injectors. I was just wondering if i put stock injectors back in if it will damage anything. thanks

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Do you mean to say that you want to DIY swap your nozzles back to the ones that you took (im assuming that you did DIY before) off?
I personally dont advise the DIY nozzle swap, too much to go wrong, but aside from that, no i dont se any reason why it would harm anything physically. you probably will get poor MPG and performance than just going back to the stock tune with the 520's.

ive never had any experience with going back, i never go back lol and ill be interested in what the others say about this.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I just have a quick question. My 02 tdi jetta has a tuned computer and its tuned to match .216 injectors. I was just wondering if i put stock injectors back in if it will damage anything. thanks[/QUOTE

No damage. The car will be under fueled, so it'll run more boost. If you have VCDS you can adjust the IQ to make up for some of it. It's not ideal, but you won't have a problem.

Are you swapping injectors (bodies with nozzles) or swapping the stock nozzles onto the injector bodies that have the .216s? If it's the latter you should have them pop tested at a Bosch shop before install to make sure they're injecting at the right pressure and spraying properly.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
I just have a quick question. My 02 tdi jetta has a tuned computer and its tuned to match .216 injectors. I was just wondering if i put stock injectors back in if it will damage anything. thanks[/QUOTE
No damage. The car will be under fueled, so it'll run more boost. If you have VCDS you can adjust the IQ to make up for some of it. It's not ideal, but you won't have a problem. Im putting the original body and nozzles back in. It smokes to much with the .216. And I have vcds lite is all but u can adjust iq and things like that
Are you swapping injectors (bodies with nozzles) or swapping the stock nozzles onto the injector bodies that have the .216s? If it's the latter you should have them pop tested at a Bosch shop before install to make sure they're injecting at the right pressure and spraying properly.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
I am switching back to the original injectors body and all. The .216 smoke to much and my fuel mileage is only at 35mpg. I really don't think all that raw fuel is good for the turbo I may be wrong I'm not much of a diesel guy. I do have vcds lite maybe I can adjust something that would help but I don't know. Thanks guys

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Who tuned the car? Did they do it for the .216s? Sounds like the tune isn't right for the mechanical fueling. If so, you may find the car runs better with the stock injectors back in there.

I think it's a little less common now, but for years many folks used injectors that were way bigger than desirable in these cars. Rocketchip was the only tuner I know of (in the US, anyway) who bucked this trend. I have PP357s in my Wagon, which are barely larger than stock. But with an 11mm pump the car runs excellent, makes very good power, rarely shows any smoke, and regularly gets 50 MPG. Good hardware, excellent tune.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I've got a RC stage 2 tune on my Beetle, with much larger injector nozzles. My tune was modified from the usual Stage 2 to lower the smoke output below 3000 RPM (those nozzles I have had it going like a train - I wanted it not so obnoxious for daily driving), and since my Beetle started life as an automatic, I also have the 11mm fuel pump. Now, it only smokes alot when I "get on it" :) - but I can spin the drive wheels in 1st AND 2nd gear on dry pavement - it makes driving in slick conditions an exercise in throttle and clutch control - but I still get 45MPG highway.

BTW - the excess fuel does (should) not get into your turbo - the turbo only has to squeeze more air in. The fuel goes into the combustion chamber directly.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I am switching back to the original injectors body and all. The .216 smoke to much and my fuel mileage is only at 35mpg. I really don't think all that raw fuel is good for the turbo I may be wrong I'm not much of a diesel guy. I do have vcds lite maybe I can adjust something that would help but I don't know. Thanks guys
#1 thing you always do is fix the stock parts before you go powering things up.
i dont think your TDI is running very good and might have some timing, clogging, and head work necessary. How many miles? i bet you that your cam is a bit worn and your turbo and intake might be glogged up, very common for a MPG robber.

I would t ry a few tricks first before you go backwards. 520's are fine nozzles and you should be getting 45 to 50 EASILY, my pp764's on the stock turbo (for the small time it lasted) got 47mpg from the 40 it used to get and that was no tune, nothing other than the nozzles and a few bolt ons. once i upped my intercooler and turbo i was able to get into the 50's.

there is no reason with a little bit of work here and there and maybe a few $hundred bucks you could make it into the 55mpg club.

FIRST off, what is the QA set at? bump it way up to like 6 to 7, i bet you have it down in the 2-3 or less area.

2nd, UP YOUR BOOST. your stock turbo can put out a tiny bit more but the best way to go about this is with a upgraded turbo, like a 17, they can be fairly cheap and you can go up into the 18 to 20PSI on them, cleaned intake and head will help too.

also TUNE TUNE TUNE
who wrote it and how old is it?

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
My QA is at about 4. If I up the QA doesn't that mean it's dumping more fuel in? Or am I thinking wrong.

Fisch_02

TDI
1.9 tdi
It's a little above the green line. It just got a new timing belt and water pump put in.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
If you have a RocketChip tune one of the questions that Jeff asks is what do you want. Max power low smoke you get that . However Max power I don't care about smoke you wiil get more power. With RC 4.5 I went with low smoke (PP520's VNT17/22, Large FMIC) the car was a riot to drive.

I have been with Jeff since 2000 and I like his tunes. RC3 is a nice driveable tune that got my 138 hp with stock turbo and intercooler.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Put it around 6-6.5 , it should make big chnage in smoke.
He's replaceing .216s with stock injectors. I don't think smoke is the issue.

To increase fueling with stock injectors I'd suggest lowering the IQ to 2.4 - 3.0 if you can get it that low. That will bring back some of the power you gave up with the smaller injectors. Typically Jeff tunes cars to run at that IQ anyway.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
He's replaceing .216s with stock injectors. I don't think smoke is the issue.

To increase fueling with stock injectors I'd suggest lowering the IQ to 2.4 - 3.0 if you can get it that low. That will bring back some of the power you gave up with the smaller injectors. Typically Jeff tunes cars to run at that IQ anyway.
I was saying for .216 IQ.

Last edited: