Roof RACK without the Roof RAILS

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
I'd like to remove my roof rails to improve fuel milage (I've done it before, I can do it again), however, I'd like to be able to put on a roof rack from time to time to carry a boat or cargo box.

Does anyone know if there is a roof rack option that affixes directly to the car (rain gutters?) Preferably one that comes on-and-off in just a few minutes?

Should I maybe look at the roof rack options for the Jetta sedans or hatchback?

AllieJetta

TDI
2014 GSW 6M/TDi Wolfsburg
Curious how much MPG you figure you'll save by removing very low profile roof rails that run parallel to the length of the vehicle?

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
LOL

So is removing the windshield wipers. Or, so they say.

I'm surprised they didn't mention running narrow LRR tires.

Then again, I went from 205 section width to 245 and didn't see an appreciable drop off in mileage, post-fix. It's within the normal range of variance per tank, ~50km on average.

Having read through the big hypermile thread on here where the guy got up to ~1500 miles per tank, he said the number one influence on mileage was driving style and conditions.

GoodOak

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportswagen
None of that is relative to my question.

I’m looking for information on roof racks. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:

Reinout

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
None of that is relative to my question.

I’m looking for information on roof racks. Any help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I haven't, and won't, do this on my JSW, but: I've done factory roof rack deletes on Subaru Outbacks working for a hitch/rack install company and it's very labor intensive. You'd have to pull the covers off the front and rear of each rail. The issue that you'll run into is that you'll have the mounts that are part of the shell still in place along with the openings: these openings also cause drag and you'll be hard-pressed to find a perfect cover for it.

I do believe that you'd have a savings but it would be very insignificant: probably something along the line of having a less than 1% savings in fuel economy.

That would add up to next to nothing over the life of the car. At THAT point I'd suggest a tune to save money and add power would be more beneficial.

Could probably save more by the driver and passengers losing a couple pounds, cleaning the interior more frequently of debris (Do you know how much buildup there is?), proper tire pressure (better tires??), driving habits, etc.

I read the "EcoModder" article.. Not a fan even if the writer has great mods to improve MPGs.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
I'd like to remove my roof rails to improve fuel milage (I've done it before, I can do it again), however, I'd like to be able to put on a roof rack from time to time to carry a boat or cargo box.
Does anyone know if there is a roof rack option that affixes directly to the car (rain gutters?) Preferably one that comes on-and-off in just a few minutes?
Should I maybe look at the roof rack options for the Jetta sedans or hatchback?
Because we have had a MkV sedan (since 2006) with a Thule rack (both square bar and aeroblade bars, using the same Fit Kit) which we used to tote Thule Roof Top boxes thousands of miles, and we now a 2013 JSW, I know a little bit about what you're asking. ;)

I can tell you the JSW does NOT have the peg holes for the front bar side clamps for a typical MkV (Thule Kit 1597) or the MkVI (Thule Kit 1618). Our MKV Sedan had black rubber screw plugs you removed with a very small allen wrench, doing this created a female receptacle for a peg on the rack side arm which allowed the front bar to stay fixed in place. If you look at the Thule 1618 fit kit instructions, you'll see the MkVI used the same concept as the MkV (fit kit 1597), the front bar side brackets are held in place with a steel dowel that fits up into a hole in the top of the door frame which our 2013 Wagon doesn't have. (I presume your wagon does not have these either)

That being said, my side clamps for the Thule fit kit for my Corrado do not have pegs, so Thule didn't always use pegs to hold the side clamp brackets in place...
If you acquired a MKVI fit kit for a sedan, at a minimum, you'd have to drill out that peg from the Thule Part Number 1149 clamp brackets. (part number reference comes from the Fit Kit PDF).

For those who stumble upon this thread, here's a site with many of the old fit kit instruction sets: https://roofracks.co.uk/_pdf/
Here's a link to a PDF of the Thule 2012 fit kit guide which included fit kits for many of the Thule 400 XT risers (which seem to be discontinued, but are available from practically anyone selling a used Thule rack):
http://partprice.com.ua/media/files/file/thule_guide.pdf