06 Jetta BRM - Clutch Bleed

KenGee

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI MkV BRM
I've seen this thread multiple times, with various different answers...hoping someone who has done this on a BRM specifically can chime in.

My master cylinder pushrod broke, so I decided to buy a replacement master and slave at the same time. The slave came in but was the wrong part, so I replaced only the master. In bleeding the system (from the bottom bleed on the slave), I was able to get some clutch pressure...but not enough to fully engage the clutch. It would tick while running, this makes me think I still have air in the system.

Would a motive pressure bleeder really fix this as everyone says? The pressure bleeder and I would be bleeding the same section of line that I've already done, while still being unable to bleed the 2 inches of accordion on the slave beyond the bleed that extend into the transmission (where I think the air is tucked away).

In trying to bleed it, the master broke apart, so I have to restart the job. Still worth buying a correct slave and doing it at the same time?

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
A motive bleeder would make it easier. It's just pricey. I used reservoir cap with an air valve screwed on. Used a small bike pump to pressurize the reservoir. Cost me about 10 bucks or so. Always worth getting both master and slave at the same time.

Mach1

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
05.5 Jetta 5 spd, 06 Jetta DE DSG, 04 F250 6L, 2000 F250 7.3L
Absolutely use some type of pressurization.. I use my motive a lot, but I change my brake fluid a lot and have several vehicles...

Narongc73 has a good idea as well..

Heck even gravity is your friend..

The feed from the MC reservoir is high for the clutch supply so keep an eye on the level..

325_Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
MkV Jetta
For $25 or so ($15 for the sprayer, $10 for the reservoir cap) you can make a decent pressure bleeder with a garden pesticide sprayer like you'd find at Home Depot.