1996 Passat TDI MFA Cluster Swap

TDI Danny

TDI
1997 Passat 1.9TDI
I have the wiring harness, instrument cluster, ambient air temp and oil temp sensors. I am inexperienced with soldering to install the glow plug light onto the VR6 MFA cluster and Chubbs Auto no longer does these cluster. Does anybody know people who can program and solder these VR6 clusters and reface them to function with the TDI. If so. Please leave their contact info or a link to a forum. Thank you!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
He currently has the cluster from the Rotbox and it’s been there for months.

Being told the board is bad and he doesn’t have a replacement. When it was originally there last year, the board was bad and he swapped in a spare he had. I’m being asked if I can find a replacement.

I’m curious if he shying away from them, since he’s running out of spare parts.

-Todd

TDIDaveNH

Left Lane Coal Roller at Large
TDI
1997 Passat TDI x2 1984 Buick Century 4.3 diesel
Man, that's disappointing to hear. Having him do the cluster is one of the things that really makes a GLX conversion proper or just to keep going with a TDI and a fully functioning cluster once again.

We all knew these days would eventually start to show up. I mean the parts are out there...for now. I'd look on car-parts.com for starters. Worst case plastic bits can be 3D printed and boards can be reproduced in China.

Everyone here that has sent a cluster to Dereck myself included will tell you.....he really did Yeoman's work with them.

Last edited:

TDI Danny

TDI
1997 Passat 1.9TDI
I have the TDI cluster in my car. And I have a GLX cluster that I parted from a wrecking yard and all of the wiring harness and sensors. I dont need parts. I have everything. I just need someone contact info who can do the soldering and refacing for me.