Should I buy a 2014 TDI/2015 TDI/ or keep my 2013 2.5L

Rsgunther

TDI
2013 Passat
Guys - I've really enjoyed reading through the forums the last couple days. It has been very educational and I am impressed with your level of knowledge around VWs and TDIs.

This is my first post to the forums so I hope it's not too lengthy - but I want to give you enough background information to help me make the best decision.

I recently drove a Jetta Sportwagon TDI while my 2013 2.5L Wolfsburg Edition Passat was in for service. Although I prefer the size of the Passat, it was very neat driving the TDI. I've never owned a diesel car before - and it made me think that maybe I should trade the 2013 on a 2014 TDI leftover or 2015 TDI. However, I really don't drive the car more than 5% of the time; but it would be fun when I do.

Here's some additional background info that is relevant to helping make this decision:

I drive a Mercedes S550 as my regular driver car (I bought it preowned with less than 20,000 miles for less than $55k - bought it wholesale thru an auction thru a dealer friend). I use it as my "company car" and drive about 40k-50k per year on it. It has about 70k on it now - and I will sell it sometime in 2015 and buy a S-class diesel since I really enjoyed driving the diesel passat.

I bought my wife/daughter/son the 2013 Passat as a "runner" car. We bought it in August of 2014 - and it now has 39,500 miles (it just went in for it's 40K mile service). My wife drives my kids to school- a 48-mile round trip in the morning and a 48-mile round trip in the evening. My daughter is 15 - and in NC - she has her permit and is learning to drive on the Passat. My son turns 15 in 2015 and will learn to drive on the Passat also.

I travel every week (I fly a lot and drive a lot) so I like to keep them in a car with a full warranty. We do have a couple other cars in our garage (we won't let the kids drive these 2 cars) - but the Passat is the daily runner that gets the most miles. Also, I would like to get something that has a backup camera for the daily runner car. I think that will help the kids a lot.

So here's the challenge - my wife has said she really doesn't want a diesel. The smell, the inconvenience, the availability, etc. I think she doesn't really understand and would enjoy the extended range, power around town, and features in the new car.

With all that being said, I think I'm probably being selfish wanting to get a TDI so I can drive it once in a while.

Maybe I should just wait until I upgrade my Merc to get into a diesel?

Or should I convince my wife to upgrade to the Passat TDI?

Should I just let her run the 2013 for another year and look at the 2016 models?

I know this is a lot of info - but I would appreciate any input on making this decision. I hate to spend a difference on a car to upgrade (the 2013 is paid-for) - and then have buyers remorse - so I want to take some time and think this one through.

Confused

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium 2006 Jetta TDI
When we bought our Passat, my wife had never considered a diesel. I have always wanted one. We traded in an Impala and she could not love it more. She loves the power around town. I don't drive it a lot but find myself taking it instead of my Denali. I know I would not like it as much if it was a gasser. There is no exhaust smell. The new emissions equipment take care of that. I am the only one that fuels it but she does know how. I just filled up last night and ran 760 miles on that tank. The best advice I can give you is to have her test drive one. I personally don't think you will regret the move. I like the diesel so much I'm considering a MB GL350 Bluetec to replace the Denali.

Rsgunther

TDI
2013 Passat
Makes a lot of sense - I think she would also like it - I need to get her to do a test drive on a TDI with some added features over the 2013 Wolfsburg edition we currently have.

PassatSE4me

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE 6MT
The miles will be eaten up much easier with a TDI.

Get your wife to drive one. If she likes it, end of discussion. :)

If she doesn't, you may have to start throwing some of the merits around and plead your case.

Good luck either way!

jhinsc

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium
What model year S-class will you get in a diesel? Currently not offered in the new S-class.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've driven diesels pretty much continuously (with a couple of breaks) since the late 70s. My wife didn't like any of them. I would never have bought her a diesel, as any issues that arose (including possible misfueling) would have been laid at my feet for getting her something she didn't want.

I'd suggest you replace the Passat with another with a 1.8T. Better torque and FE than the 2.5, and your wife will be happier with it. Besides, you'll have a M-B diesel to drive, so you won't be missing much. Just my .02.

Rsgunther

TDI
2013 Passat
My current S550 is a 2011. I will upgrade to a 2013 model and buy with low miles. I think it's a S350 for that model year.

Rsgunther

TDI
2013 Passat
Good thoughts. If I do get another gas engine, then I will probably just wait for the 2016 model and see what it has to offer. Then get a 15 leftover or a 16 depending on features and pricing.

I've driven diesels pretty much continuously (with a couple of breaks) since the late 70s. My wife didn't like any of them. I would never have bought her a diesel, as any issues that arose (including possible misfueling) would have been laid at my feet for getting her something she didn't want.

I'd suggest you replace the Passat with another with a 1.8T. Better torque and FE than the 2.5, and your wife will be happier with it. Besides, you'll have a M-B diesel to drive, so you won't be missing much. Just my .02.

ar2013tdi

TDI
2014 Sportwagen DSG
My wife encouraged me to purchase the TDI.:) We have 700 miles on our new Sportwagen and she loves it, particularly the performance and size.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
My wife likes our 2013 Passat. Minimal exhaust smells, engine noise. Likes the seats, the room, looks and the way it drives. Fuel economy is high on her list too.

Fav40

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL (BB 2/17/17) 2017 Passat V6 SEL Premium
They way the TDI drives I'm sure she would like the instant torque.

I have a friend who opted not to buy the TDI for fear of putting gas in it. He likes the way the TDI droves over his 2.5 Jetta tho. Weird, I know.

outthere

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 B5 Northern Green wagon
amazing resale on anything TDI related regardless of how it drives etc.

jetta passat etc

so there's that angle to 'why a tdi' everyplace has diesel. and at 700 miles between tanks she might never have to hit the pump. I drive my kids passat from time to time and fill the tank to surprise em and it lasts a month.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
Here is how I see it.

1. You have to get her behind the wheel first, otherwise all of this talk is irrelevant.

2. If she likes the way it drives, run her to a gas station and point out the green nozzle, show her how to fill it. She will be surprised that it's the same procedure. Find a station that is close to home and make sure there are some hand towels close by. Let her know that with a TDI Passat, she will only be filling every 7 driving days. Jump on your computer and google Gas Buddy for your zip code, type in diesel fuel, this will show her just how many stations carry diesel.

3. Let her stand behind the car when it's running, encourage her to "smell" the nasty exhaust…there is none!

4. Sign then drive!

Rsgunther

TDI
2013 Passat
Great approach and good plan. I like it. I will head in this direction.

Here is how I see it.

1. You have to get her behind the wheel first, otherwise all of this talk is irrelevant.

2. If she likes the way it drives, run her to a gas station and point out the green nozzle, show her how to fill it. She will be surprised that it's the same procedure. Find a station that is close to home and make sure there are some hand towels close by. Let her know that with a TDI Passat, she will only be filling every 7 driving days. Jump on your computer and google Gas Buddy for your zip code, type in diesel fuel, this will show her just how many stations carry diesel.

3. Let her stand behind the car when it's running, encourage her to "smell" the nasty exhaust…there is none!

4. Sign then drive!

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
A happy wife equals a happy life. Share with her that diesels aren't the dirty stinky cars they used to be years ago. Let her drive it and see how she likes it.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
... run her to a gas station and point out the green nozzle...
Please don't show her how to identify a diesel pump this way. There are no standards or consistency with regards to colours of the nozzles.
Safest way is to look for the word "diesel".
I also made a plastic flap boldly marked with "diesel only" that needs to be physically moved aside after opening the fuel door to get to the fuel cap. I added it when we might have lent the car for a day to my father-in-law (never did in the end) and for if we had to refuel where the station pumps. My wife hated it, thinking it makes her look like she doesn't know what she's doing at the station, so I removed it and stored it in the trunk. All self serve here, so not an issue, but it's there for road trips if needed. Perhaps a device like this would help the rest of your family unfamiliar with diesels.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
weebl beat me to this but it bears repeating...
Do not rely on handle color to indicate diesel. Make sure that she and the kids know how to read diesel on the pump before pulling the handle. I'm not trying to make anyone sound stupid here but "green handles" are not a universal diesel pump color.

My wife bought our first VW diesel, 2000 beetle, and it was smelly and belched black when you got on it. I traded it on the JSW in March of 2010. New one doesn't smell or smoke. The torque and mileage are great. My wife then picked up her Golf diesel in Sept 2011. She is already talking about trading the Golf for a Passat diesel. She wants a bigger car that is easier to get in and out of before we retire.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
I have a '14 Wolfsburg Edition 2.5 as a loaner right now, and I'm dying to get back into my TDI. Some of it's my missing bells and whistles, but there's no comparison between the 2.5 and the TDI. I really miss how effortless it is to climb a grade without downshifting. I had the 2.5 in my old '06 Jetta, and while it was a nice driving car, nothing beats the diesel.

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
I have a '14 Wolfsburg Edition 2.5 as a loaner right now, and I'm dying to get back into my TDI. Some of it's my missing bells and whistles, but there's no comparison between the 2.5 and the TDI. I really miss how effortless it is to climb a grade without downshifting. I had the 2.5 in my old '06 Jetta, and while it was a nice driving car, nothing beats the diesel.
To be honest, when we were visiting a friend in 2012 who works at a VW dealership, he set us up with a 2.5L Passat to drive around town (mated to the Aisin automatic). The drivetrain was decent enough, and I quite liked the interior of the car and road manners. It was that car that got me thinking of a Passat instead of a Golf or Jetta. And it was the discovery that the TDI engine in the Passat (CKRA) was not the one in the Golf or Jetta (CBEA/CJAA), that lead me to decide on the Passat I have now (otherwise, it would have been the 2.5L manual).