Quaife Limited Slip

GollyGwagen

We are almost definately buying a 1996 Passat TDI tomorrow and have only one concern. We live at over 9000' in the Rocky Mountains with a wicked steep gravel drive. We have not had too much problem with vehicles that were equiped with traction control, but standard FWD vehicles can struggle a bit, even in the dry. Has anyone fitted a Quaife LSD and how are the results? Also, where can I get one?

While I'm at it, is there anything I should know about a TDI at altitude and would a mild chip for power be safe? I drive a F-350 Power Stroke so I'm not completely new to diesels. Thanks!

[ March 25, 2002, 08:17: Message edited by: GollyGwagen ]

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
I have one installed in my Passat and I believe I am the only person here on Fred's to have one installed in a Passat!My install was done by Pete(DBW) and believe me, it was a Pain in the A##
My car ended up staying at Pete's house for 10 day's!
I got a Quaife for a O2A transmission and we ended up having to replace the stub axles because VW made a running change and started using O2J diff's in the O2A trans in the A-3 and B-4 TDI cars.look at the Transmission were the axles go into it,if it has a green colored spacer it has an O2J diff, if it doesn't it has an O2A diff.
Contact Jim at www.dieselgeek.com for Diff and install kit.It will end up costing around 2000.00 to install diff and new clutch!

But it is nice!

GollyGwagen

I wasn't able to find anyone in Colorado who would install one. Most people won't touch it, and the one guy who said he could wouldn't because he said it would be so bad in snow and ice that he wouldn't do it! Is there anyone out there who has LSD and uses it on snow and ice? Also, is there anyone in Colorado who knows of a shop that would do the install?

Sooty

Veteran Member
We don’t get too much snow over here the most my Golf has seen is about 4 inches, but we get a fair deal of ice/frost in the winter. The Quaife’s reaction to loose/slippery surfaces has always been exactly as it’s designed to be, it will direct the power to the wheel with the most grip. If you find yourself on a completely slippery surface then both wheels will spin evenly until one finds traction then you’re away. You get the same reaction by dropping the clutch at 4000rpm

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
We have not had any snow since I had the Quaife
installed,some rain though and the quaife reacts as Sooty stated the power is distributed to the slipping tire and both if both are slipping! I have heard from a couple on the guys that have Quaifes installed that in snow the car will slip if you try to over-power it.
All these guy's also have chips though.
I love mine!I am chipped also ,so I can cause the tires to spin!

By the way regarding your question about Chipping, your car probably won't have a problem because it has the earlier wastegated turbo.
Torqster who lives in Denver drives a Chipped Passat for several years now and I have not heard of him having any problems.
The newer cars with the Garrett VNT-15 turbos have had a history of Failing Turbo's at altitudes. I believe this has been traced to an ECU problem.
Go for it Upsolute chip on your car is a plug install easily done by yourself.

Also by the way I drove 700 miles to have Pete install my Quaife,I don't know if he will do any more Passats since he had so much trouble with mine!600.00 Labor for the quaife and clutch!

[ March 25, 2002, 13:01: Message edited by: tomo366 ]

reddiesel

TDI
1999.5 jetta tdi
DBW installed a quaife in my jetta 99.5. It is much much better in snow than stock. I can leave icy stop sign intersections with almost no wheel spin. My stock michelin tires have only about 1/8 inch tread left and I can still move in snow well.

jhax

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat B4V, ALH engine out of a 2002 Jetta, some IE Rods and ASV Pistons. Nothing drivable yet though
My friend slings beer for a brewery in the southern part of the state for many years and regularly drives his golf with just a good set of snow tires all over the western slope with no problems, although be has a manual. He lives in Carbondale. I installed a quaife in my 02a. Although time consuming, it wasn't too difficult, just need a drill press for the stock diff removal. Anuthee at diesel land in Golden does that work.