New to TDI, looking for answers

Rangerdan

TDI
2015 Passat
I recently just bought a 2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium from private seller (have been looking at them for awhile now & this deal was too good to pass up) & was wondering a few things.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread

It has 97k on the clock, was wondering as it rounds 100k is there things I should be watching for? The guy I bought it from had just replaced the water pump, he said that's all he'd done since he got it off lot 2 years ago once the buy backs started to appear in our area & it had 70k on it then. Havent been able to run a carfax on the vin yet to verify the 70k , but that told me the car was driven pretty consistent up to now, which tells me the engine shouldn't be hiding any issues? Is there still things I should be looking for or buy right now cause itll need it no matter?

The car being new to me with 97k not only is there things to look for in the future but are there things I should go ahead and fix right now? The car had been driven by his wife, so the breaks and rotors are nearly nonexistent that's something I need immediately, but cant find a good OEM website to buy them from. Any suggestions? Should I flush the whole system trans included? Or do you guys think the trans is too far along where it might cause issues to replace the fluid?

Usually with an engine with that many miles as soon as I get it I'd run some sea foam or some type of fuel additive and run the thing pretty hard to try and get some build up out. Is it completely different with a diesel? Will that hurt and/or clog the turbo?

The seller told me he tried to change the oil every 3k miles but he had both "trips" at the same thing around 7k & later joked his buddies wait till 10kor 12k. That kind of scared me on how well the car had been maintained (especially with the breaks they way they are, but I actually know where he works and it's about 30 min away and works 12s, so I believe him when he said he just hasn't had the time) but again, it was such a good deal and the engine sounded great and pulled great. Basically, what do you guys recommend in terms of how often to change the old in a 100k gen 3 tdi? Also, what oil do you guys recommend & what website to get it from? & what about DEF I'm totally new to that too?

I'm 22 & have had nothing but 5 speed ford rangers they're super reliable and easy/cheap to fix, not to mention you can get 300k out of them pretty easy. My brother bought a 2012 5 speed passat & I kind of fell in love. I started my own business and have been saving for a good reliable vehicle & from everything I've heard vw TDI are on that list , that paired with the passat was hard to look past. So I bought one and now im completely new to TDI & automatics. I usually baby my engines and my trans but I read something on here that said these cars, (mainly cause the turbo) need to be pulled pretty hard pretty consistently? On that note, videos I've watched online said after the vw software update, your better of just consistently drive around in sport mode? Is that good for the engine, trans or was the guy just saying that to match the performance of pre-software update. He also talked about how the new software changed how the car shifts on the interstate & that's mainly where people were complaining about the loss of mpg. That's mainly what I do on a daily basis. I live right off the interstate and my works right off the interstate. I wake up hop right on, hold about 80mph, dont have any traffic near me so I can easily set cruise and maintain that all the way till I get to work & vise versa on my way home. That's really why I wanted this car. It's a beautiful car, beautiful interior & have heard of alot of TDI that can break the 300k marker. I plan on keeping this car for years to come and really want to get the most out of it. Like I said I usually baby my engines but should I start to run this engine a little more aggressive to keep It running good. Is there any general tips on how to drive & maintain it? I live in the midwest so should I remote start the car 5,10,15 min before I get on the interstate when it gets below freezing out or sub zero? &

Again, sorry if this is in the wrong the thread but I'm so new to this and have so many questions this seemed like the best place to put this. Theres so many threads here I'm sure I'm going to spend the next couple month and years to come & try to absorb as much as possible.

Thank you to whoever has any answers to my many questions & sorry if I was rambling & jumping around. Just so new to the platform yet so excited. & after hearing all of this & about the prior owner dont hesitate to tell me if this car has the potential or not to get to the 200 or 300k+ I already have people interested in the car for more than I paid. But I really enjoy everything about the vehicle & would really enjoy to keep this car for years and years to come if possible? Again, the engines runs and drives great.

* side note *This ones not all that important but is it a hassle to take the "premium" "nav" radio head out and replace it with the standard one. It really just pisses me off more than I'll ever use the extra buttons & whistles. My brothers passat has just the generic radio & I'd honestly much rather have that one. But again, I'll live with it if it's a hassle trying replace and/source a new one. That's the least of my concerns.

Again, proably for the 9th time now, I'm so new to this platform, I apologise if all of this is answered somewhere, I really appreciate anyone that takes the time to read and answer any of my many question.

Thanks againa, Z

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
They are supposed to have the oil changed every 10k miles, and there is a specific oil that should be used. DEF gets topped up at every service, or if the warning comes on beforehand. Usually not a big deal BUT the SCR system, specifically some of the tank heaters and injector lines, have been troublesome.

Start the car up and drive off slowly right away (maybe enough time to buckle your seat belt, check your mirrors, etc. There are devices you can buy to monitor the DPF regens, some folks find this helpful.

The 2015s have a different engine than the earlier cars, so it is really too soon to tell how well they'll hold up. They are very complicated, and have a lot of fragile bits on them.