Sticker to cover small rust spots on front of hood

damon_sisk

TDI
2001 Jetta GLS
Sorry if I missed the answer in my search of the forums, but my question involves small rust spots on the front of the hood of my 2001 Jetta.

A blue 2002 Jetta I used to own had some sort of sticker that was the exact same color as the paint over the front portion of the hood. This is the area that seems most likely to be hit by road debris, and damaged, so the extra protection or cover seems like a good idea. The sticker covered the same area a 'bra' would. See a bra (not a sticker) here: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/i/181990918269-0-1/s-l1000.jpg

My 2001 silver Jetta, does not have such a 'sticker', and I do not want a bra on my car. I would like to sand out the small rust spots (2, about the size of nickels) treat the metal, primer them, then cover the whole nose of the hood with a sticker that is the same color as the hood. It would cover the area very similar to what a bra would cover.

What are these stickers called, and where can I buy them?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
There is a fair chance that what you actually saw was not a "sticker that was the exact same colour as the paint", but was actually a "clear" sticker. I have never heard of the former, but the latter are commonplace, and a common brand name is 3M ClearBra although there are others.

Any local 3M automotive trim shop can get and install those. Typically, these are the local shops that do window tinting, etc.

You will want the paint underneath to be immaculate prior to installing any such thing. "Primer" will not be sufficient, it will need to be finish painted and clearcoated.

Of course, nowadays it is possible to get "vinyl wrap" in practically any colour, but the chance of exactly matching the paint on the rest of the car is pretty low.

Stickers, ClearBra, wrap, etc do not protect against corrosion resulting from water intrusion, and in some cases they can trap water next to the paint, and accelerate corrosion.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Those rust spots could be internal, which means you will have to attack them from the underside of the hood. Had this with my '05 Golf.