www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old July 20th, 2019, 22:26   #16
Mongler98
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Race: 12mpg, Gandma:65mpg

only time it is acceptable to use the PAG oil in the can is when you pull a part like KLXD stated but you have to dump it all and usually those specs are like 2oz for the condenser or 1 once for the evap or 3 for the dryer ECT... i am just swagging those numbers as im not looking at a manual ATM but honestly the really only way to work on a system is to blow it all out clean, purge with nitrogen, add the new filter dryer and go to town on a charge weighed it. its really bad to have more than +/- 5% and one of those cans is what 3 oz i think or is it 5? Anyways, im just really anal about AC systems and i was always told and i always repeat it, the ONLY things that go into the system are pure whatever, no anything mixed, oil is oil, 134a is 134a, if you have to buy a can of a combo or anything that says leak stopper, your just buying time to sell the car to some smuck or wasting more money!
Mongler98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2019, 09:08   #17
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mongler98 View Post
only time it is acceptable to use the PAG oil in the can is when you pull a part like KLXD stated but you have to dump it all and usually those specs are like 2oz for the condenser or 1 once for the evap or 3 for the dryer ECT... i am just swagging those numbers as im not looking at a manual ATM but honestly the really only way to work on a system is to blow it all out clean, purge with nitrogen, add the new filter dryer and go to town on a charge weighed it. its really bad to have more than +/- 5% and one of those cans is what 3 oz i think or is it 5? Anyways, im just really anal about AC systems and i was always told and i always repeat it, the ONLY things that go into the system are pure whatever, no anything mixed, oil is oil, 134a is 134a, if you have to buy a can of a combo or anything that says leak stopper, your just buying time to sell the car to some smuck or wasting more money!
KLXD never stated anything about 'pull apart' you're attributing things to other people. And the rant I quoted above...it's no wonder that newbie Gli_ryan hasn't posted back since he joined on the 10th.

I was trained for auto AC work at a tech school back in the 80's and for the most part all that I learned still holds true. You'd probably get triggered if I told you that our instructor taught us to charge with liquid vs gas. He was concerned with shop performance and optimizing income for the shop we would ultimately work for. He was a great guy very smart.

For a complete discussion of anything about the B3V conversion I refer you to this thread where everything (I think) was covered pretty well. I probably didn't discuss AC all that much but I'm sure I covered the part about sourcing all the components.

Stop harping at people, especially new members, and before you post make sure what you're posting is coherent.

Steve

the magic triangle spins in the peanut and then apex seals come out
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote