New here and have a question

lakeweb

TDI
Jetta 05 wagon and sedan
I've been a TDI fan for over a decade. My son bought a Jetta back then. And then in 09 we bought a nice Jetta wagon-05. Never any big problems, love it still.

My fiend bought a Jetta 05 sedan but about a year later, the B3 band is out on the transmission. At least, I'm pretty sure as to the symptoms.

So we have found an 05 Passat for salvage with an almost new tiptronic in it. I'd bet that tranny would swap the one in the Jetta, but I don't know if I would loose that bet.

This thread was as close as I could get.
<http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=420384>

But no one recommended getting a tiptronic from another model, so now I just don't know.

Thanks, Dan.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I've been a TDI fan for over a decade. My son bought a Jetta back then. And then in 09 we bought a nice Jetta wagon-05. Never any big problems, love it still.

My fiend bought a Jetta 05 sedan but about a year later, the B3 band is out on the transmission. At least, I'm pretty sure as to the symptoms.

So we have found an 05 Passat for salvage with an almost new tiptronic in it. I'd bet that tranny would swap the one in the Jetta, but I don't know if I would loose that bet.

This thread was as close as I could get.
<http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=420384>

But no one recommended getting a tiptronic from another model, so now I just don't know.

Thanks, Dan.
Is the 05 a mk4 or mk5 model? Quick way to tell, if the headlights are rectangles, it's a mk4.

Regardless, putting a passat trans into a jetta won't happen. What are the symptoms of the trans?

Last edited:

lakeweb

TDI
Jetta 05 wagon and sedan
Regardless, putting a passat trans into a jetta won't happen.
That is too bad, we will have to keep looking or give up.

What are the symptoms of the trans?
Reverse went down hill. Longer and longer delays as time went on before it would ingage. When you put it in reverse you can feel a slight engagement. Before doing the home work, my friend bought a used valve body and we changed that. Nothing different. Then I found out how the band works. Using a tongue that grabs the drum to tighten. And that the tongue will wear and the band won't fully ingauge. And, there is no engine breaking when you shift.

Does that sound about right?

Thanks for the heads up.
Best, Dan.