S or SEL GSW

jaxkxx

Veteran Member
TDI
Q5 TDI
Is it worth extra $6k to pay for SEL Trim over S Trim? Over 72 months at 0% is around $80 a month extra. I love all the extras on SEL. And seems to me like SEL has litlle different seats than S and SE Trim. More sporty.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Seems you're answering your own question. I didn't want an SEL because I don't want 18" wheels (ride too hard), or the Pano roof (too many potential issues). I hate heated seats, and manual SELs are all but impossible to find. But everyone has preferences. I do like the piano black dash better on the SEL.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I love the seats in my SEL over her SE. Not sure they're worth that much, but I guess it depends on the deal they give you. The climatronic is a nice feature, and I use the Navigation (with Sirius traffic subscription) with good results in my area where traffic is guaranteed yet avoidable with a little heads up from the system.

CiDirkona

TDI
2015 Golf TDI (NAR, post-EPA)
I had the leather in my 6R, and both 7Rs are leather, but I actually prefer the leatherette v-techs or whatever they call it in the 7TDI. It's easier to get in and out and doesn't show wear much if at all. The leather starts to get sag-ass pretty quickly, especially if you drive with your knees up.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Seems you're answering your own question. I didn't want an SEL because I don't want 18" wheels (ride too hard), or the Pano roof (too many potential issues). I hate heated seats, and manual SELs are all but impossible to find. But everyone has preferences. I do like the piano black dash better on the SEL.

Glad to learn this issue. ~~ This ol' geezer wants a more gentle ride.:eek::D:p:rolleyes:

marcusku

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen, 15', red
I bought an SEL but traded the 18" wheels for the 15" off a Golf S. They don't look as nice but I like the benefits of the smaller wheels and they are growing on me in the looks department. The salesmen (and others) I'm sure thought I was nuts but that's ok.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
SEL without a doubt. $6K isn't pocket change, for sure, but all of the little upgrades are sure nice.
I was always a "give me the bare bones and let me keep my money" person, but geez - every time I drive my car now, I just love it.

MUCH better sound system; KESSY (something that I thought "meh - what's the point"; now I know I'd never consider another car without it); interior trim / lighting; WAY better seats (more comfortable); etc.

I rented a "S" Golf a little while ago, and while it drove just fine....I gotta way - it didn't put a smile on my face like my SEL (Highline in Canada) does.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow - didn't think that was even an option on base model; was that part of an option pkg, or is that standard on the "S" in the US?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Standard. Didn't even know my car had it until I picked it up. I'm not really a fan, but I guess I have to succumb to progress.

Grigg3

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Jetta wagon, 15 Golf wagon
Same here with the S.

I never even opened the door on a fancier model (or any other new VW) so perhaps don't know what I'm missing...
The S sure feels fancy, drives nice, comfy seats, quiet, plenty of bells and whistles for me. That screen on the dash with the iPod hookup and even answers your phone is enough to keep me busy/entertained. I'm glad it doesn't have sun roof and other "stuff" to worry about, it's nice enough like it is.

My other VW is an 05 wagon, which was perfectly adequate a couple weeks ago and now feels like an old car in comparison.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
Aside from being cheap we're happy with our S, and don't need all the stuff on the SEL. I learned how to park a car nearly 60 years ago and haven't forgotten - yet.

cane929

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI DSG S
The S really come very nicely equipped, I just wish we had the choice of adding the Lighting package and Fender stereo without the pano sunroof.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah - not so much in Canada.
Our "Trendline" (S) had no upgrade packages even available. And certainly nothing like KESSY.
(Trendline = S; Comfortline = SE; Highline = SEL)

Here's what our options/pricing was (click to embiggen):

Last edited:

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Sure wish I could locate and purchase a new 2015 Sportwagen S
TDI with manual. Looking for Tungsten silver with a manual transmission.

PM me if anyone has a new one and will sell it at a fair price.

BobbyWires

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW manual, 1991 Syncro Vanagon, 2004 Audi A4 Avant 6man, 1990 Ford F250 351 "farm truck" 2014 Q7 TDI Sline
Yup S here also. S manual all the way. Yeah the roof is cool but if I want to ride with open skies Ill take my motorcycle out.

wetskier2000

Veteran Member
TDI
Gone: 05 Jetta GLS Wagon Current: 2015 GSW SEL 6MT
There was one just like that at Commonwealth VW in MASS a couple weeks ago.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.

There's a few on cars.com. No idea if there real or not.
https://www.cars.com/for-sale/searc...ion&stkTypId=28880&transTypeId=28112&zc=28278

There's one listed for Autobarn in the Chicago area.

For me the difference comes down to heated seats versus panoroof. I like not having a sunroof now but am not sure that I would be willing to give up the heated seats. If the SEL seats are that much better, then maybe, I have an argument for the wife of why we really need to jump into a car payment.

Last edited:

GTSLOW

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW & 04 Golf
I checked out a manual transmission SEL GSW in WI before heading back to Kentucky. I just couldn't bring myself to finance $26K+ versus the $19K for the S model. Will dearly miss the heated seats! Especially in the mornings waiting for PT to start...

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
My Mother in law is picking up a GSW SEL with lighting package and the driver assist package. How bad is the ride on the 18 tires? They had to service it before we could test drive it.

This car has every option under the sun, but it does not have blind spot detection. Is it possible to add it on.

sapgar

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI 6MT
Get the SEL. You can downsize the wheels easily

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
She will buy the car she loves it. We did talked about down size tires later. This is a big up grade from her 09 Jetta. How bad is the blind spot on the GSW

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
The S really come very nicely equipped, I just wish we had the choice of adding the Lighting package and Fender stereo without the pano sunroof.
The S - to replace my cornsilk beige V-tex JSW TDI 6M - is the most fuel efficient of the wagons (Alltrack, 4MO, and the FWD S).............

Anyone suffering buyer's remorse going from V-tex to cloth?

ez

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
What GSW tdi trim has cloth? I have the S and its has the v-tex. That was a big buying factor for me. I like the leatherette seating surface over Leather or cloth.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
The GSW I picked up yesterday has the 17" wheels with ~low profile (45 aspect ratio) Conti Pro Contact tires. I definitely notice some rigidity compared to the 16" with 55s or 60s on there. But it is not bad. I do like the nimble handling. Sticks nicely in the corners...confidence inspiring. Maybe they put 35s on the 18" wheels.

I am exploring the consequences of Kessy. Yep, it's on the SE too. I will try to get remote control on the windows using that modification I mentioned in a different post at golkmk7 (post with "windows" subject).

Last edited:

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
What GSW tdi trim has cloth? I have the S and its has the v-tex. That was a big buying factor for me. I like the leatherette seating surface over Leather or cloth.
That's weird. I thought all S's were cloth. That was a big turnoff to me that they to V-Tex out of the base model (along with the heated seats).

kevkor2002

TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen, 2002 Honda S2000
My S (I believe all) have leatherette, backup camera, decent stereo (I use that term loosely. Its getting upgraded soon I expect), keyless stuff, pretty nicely equipped. Way better than what its replacing. Its allowing me to retire my 2008 Honda Fit from commuting duties. I do 150miles per day round trip and the old bird has done her part.

Mr_robs

TDI
15' GSW
I wanted the seats in the SEL but the other features didnt do much for me. Not a sunroof fan, will never use the nav, climatronic in my experience hasnt been any better than the standard controls (had a MK5 R32). If im going to upgrade my wheels it will most likely be aftermarket.

Plus finding a 6M SEL was a lot harder. Happy with my 6M S and its flabby vtex seats (why couldn't we get cloth?)