Golf TDI MK5 Surging / Pulsing occasionally

b1llyb0y

TDI
Golf 2.0 TDI
Hi,

I have recently been experiencing surging on my Golf 5 TDI ..

It only happens every now and then when in Park, you can hear the engine revs go up and down ..

Is there anything specific I can check as the car is not throwing any codes in Vagcom.

Cheers!

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
The concensus is that this is one of the two active DPF (diesel particulate filter) regeneration cycles. Engine timing is being altered to heat up the DPF to a point where it will burn off trapped soot. It's irritating and can cause rather violent engine oscillations under the right driving conditions, but is operating as designed.

If you search here for discussions of flutter, stutter, et al you will learn more about DPF regen (and high-pressure EGR valve engagement) which appear to be responsible for the ghosts in the engine.

-darren

b1llyb0y

TDI
Golf 2.0 TDI
Thanks for that, but it seems mine being an '04 model would not have a DPF and only has a catalytic converter of sorts.

So with this being said, I'd still love to hear other's idea's on this?

Cheers!

darrenf

Veteran Member
TDI
09 JSW TDI Black/Black, Pano, Avignons
b1llyb0y said:
Thanks for that, but it seems mine being an '04 model would not have a DPF and only has a catalytic converter of sorts.
My bad -- I should have read your sig more carefully. :mad: Carry on and good luck in finding an answer.

-darren