Replacing fender under vw rust warranty

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
Has anyone had their fender replaced by VW under the rust warranty? I just got approved by Bramgate VW to have my drivers side front fender and my hatch replaced on my 2000 Golf.

My concern is whether or not i should have the fender replaced- I am worried that it will look out of place or like is has been replaced if i have it done. I know they match to the paint fade on the vehicle but how well will the fender blend in with the rest of the body? I am not worried about the hatch just the fender.

The rust on the fender isnt that bad (its not on the top part of the wheel well but rather on the bottom corner part (closest to the drivers door).

Should I have them replace the fender and possibly have it stick out from the rest of the car or should I just not replace it and cover up the very minimal rust myself?

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Has anyone had their fender replaced by VW under the rust warranty? I just got approved by Bramgate VW to have my drivers side front fender and my hatch replaced on my 2000 Golf.

My concern is whether or not i should have the fender replaced- I am worried that it will look out of place or like is has been replaced if i have it done. I know they match to the paint fade on the vehicle but how well will the fender blend in with the rest of the body? I am not worried about the hatch just the fender.

The rust on the fender isnt that bad (its not on the top part of the wheel well but rather on the bottom corner part (closest to the drivers door).

Should I have them replace the fender and possibly have it stick out from the rest of the car or should I just not replace it and cover up the very minimal rust myself?

VW used to just sand down and repaint the fenders, but now they replace them and match the paint. They do not Blend the paint with the door or hood, but it will be very close match (if not exact depending on paint fade on rest of car.)

I had my hood and both fenders replaced under the VW rust warranty and they matched and blended.

Don't worry about the blending or fade issues, get VW to do it. If you try to do it yorself, it wil just continue to rust from the inside out and rot, then when you try to get VW to replace it later down the road, you will be refused because you tampered with it.

MrVermin

amightymouse

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2002, Baltic Green Pearl
I had both fender replaced under the warranty program. The fit and finish is excellent, and the colour matched rest of the sheet metal around the fenders.

Phaff did an excellent job in my opinion.

timk519

Veteran Member
TDI
Last: 2012 TDI JSW
years ago I had one replaced, and the other "repaired". Guess which one looks perfect, and which one looks like ****...

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
I had both front fenders done under the rust warranty by Carstar...fit and finish was perfect.

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf TDI GLS (RIP), 2002 Jetta TDI GLS, 2014 Golf Wagon TDI DSG Wolfsburg Edition, 2014 Touareg TDI Execline
thanks for the reassurance... i am going in the morning to drop off the car and will have the fender replaced along with the hatch

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Whoever did the fender replacement on my wagon before I bought it thought it was Indigo blue, lol.... It's not indigo blue, but both my front fenders are!

RichJetta

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI-PD 5spd
i had my passenger side done. it looks a bit out of place but i am respraying the hood and bumper so they will look all the same.

I am taking it back because the finish is poor. The clear is orange peeled also they sprayed some sticky crap i assume to protect the seam areas? that I am having a ***** of a time getting off.

p.s. this work was done at owasco

IAMCIRE

Veteran Member
TDI
BEW Wagon
Just dropped off my car for drivers side fender at RichmondHill VW...

Anyone have luck on getting the hood replaced/repaired if it has stone chips? Mine has stone chips on the front, but its starting to bubble and rust from the inside....

Last edited:

dlb

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Reflex Silver Golf
taking mine in when it warms up a bit (so I can take the motorcycle in to work) Both front fenders are rusted around the wheel arch. Taking it into Hunt Club VW (Ottawa) - anyone have any issues with them ??

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
I guess you missed the part where I said it has started to rust from the inside....
Yup, completely misread that part :) Goodluck! I know a few MKIV's have had their trunk lid replaced because of bubbling around the license plate bulb holders..

Let us know how you make out, but I'm guessing they'll deny the hood.

GD

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Highline DSG
i had my passenger side done. it looks a bit out of place but i am respraying the hood and bumper so they will look all the same.

I am taking it back because the finish is poor. The clear is orange peeled also they sprayed some sticky crap i assume to protect the seam areas? that I am having a ***** of a time getting off.

p.s. this work was done at owasco
Owasco sucks, I had my 2000 Jetta back and forth there for Fender replacement, repaint over spray blah blah - bad!

Jlaasf

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI
What parts are actually covered under the warranty? I know fenders and trunk lid. My quarters are awful, hoping they're covered.

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
88 Jetta Diesel - 2000 Jetta TDI - 04 BMW M3 - 06 Kia Rio - F350 Superduty - 87 Buick GNX - Mobile Cranes
What parts are actually covered under the warranty? I know fenders and trunk lid. My quarters are awful, hoping they're covered.
The whole car is covered... getting a hood replaced is kinda next to impossible because they will claim the rust is caused from stone chips...like mine rotted from the inside out no chips on the paint but the paint was all bubbled i gave up just gonna pick up a newer hood and shoot it myself

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
I just gave my 2010 Jetta a good wash now that the salt is off the roads, and am noticing bubbling on the hood next to the passenger fender. No chips on the paint. The warranty says it has to be perforated from the inside. Do I have to wait for it to rust through before they will honour anything?

Dieselducky

Veteran Member
TDI
I just gave my 2010 Jetta a good wash now that the salt is off the roads, and am noticing bubbling on the hood next to the passenger fender. No chips on the paint. The warranty says it has to be perforated from the inside. Do I have to wait for it to rust through before they will honour anything?
I would take pictures of it before the bubbles break open. If they do the dealer will just say they are rusty stone chips....happened to me and they refused to cover it....i would take it in and have them document the issue. Hopefully they will be nice and help you get it fixed

Kevin

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
Going to a dealer can backfire as well. If they document it and decide that it isn't far enough along to warantee, they'll want YOU to repair it (and will mark it on your record). If you don't fix it and go back later, they'll say you didn't fix it as suggested and will not fix it for you.

Hoods will be tricky as they get a lot of abuse from the road. I have a clear sticker style bra which looks like arse as it's all scratched up....BUT, the front of the hood isn't bubbling either.

And I had both of my fenders replaced at Yorkdale VW. Paint matches perfectly, but I think they did blend the surrounding panels or something. There was some clearcoat overspray at the top of my front windows when I got it back. Took an orbital polisher and some rubbing compound and 5 min later all was good. They called a few days later and mentioned the issue, but said I fixed it myself as it would have been a hassle to get an appointment for 5 min of work.

winks

Veteran Member
Bramgate replaced both fenders and the hatch on our jwagon not too long ago.. No hassles, great paintjob...one good looking vw:cool:

bruca003

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf GLS TDI, 2005 passat wagon tdi.
I have bubbling at bottom of my hatch. Clearly from inside as it has not punctured thru yet.
When I pulled off round plastic piece from side of hatch it was clear rust inside.
I'm a little worried to go in as they might decline. What's the procedure, I'm sure they will find something not to cover. As far as I know, these cars do not require rustproofing as per VW ??
Thanks.

PduBerer

Veteran Member
TDI
Bruca003- these cars dont require rustproofing. As far as starting a claim, just go into a dealer and tell them you would like them to look at your car and start up a rust warranty claim. They go out and take pictures and send them to VW Canada, who then takes a couple weeks to let the dealer know if claim has been approved or not.

I picked up my golf yesterday afternoon from Bramgate VW and I was surprised at how nice the fit and finish of my drivers fender and hatch came out. Way better than i expected. They even fixed my trunk latch in the process free of charge (I supplied the latch). Only issue I have is my hatch switch from my drivers door doesnt work anymore, but theyre supposed to fix that this week.

bruca003

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 golf GLS TDI, 2005 passat wagon tdi.
I walked in Saturday at the VW dealer but have to go back when the service manager is in. The advisor went on to tell me that the process has changed and takes much longer! I'll check back here when my claim is in process.

IAMCIRE

Veteran Member
TDI
BEW Wagon
Got my drivers fender replaced from RichmondHill VW last week. Great service and they matched the paint too!

Ugh, just yesterday was taking stuff out of the hatch and noticed its starting to rust there as well now.... Gonna have to make another trip back there...

TDIMcChanic

TDI
02 Jetta
Just got my car back, had both fenders replaced! The paint match is great and it was only a day and a half turnaround time.