TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Picking up a 2014 535D tomorrow.
xDrive
M-Sport
Cold weather package
Still has 4 months on factory warranty.. time to think if I want to extend it.
38K miles
White with Mocha Nappa interior.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
No.. its not a CPO car.

From my search, I narrowed it down to 2 cars until I realized the one didn't have heated seats.
My must haves were xdrive and M-sport package.

One I found private party but no heated seats so I passed on it.
28K miles, extended warranty to 75K miles.. got him down from 33000 to 30500

The 2nd which I'm buying today is the options listed 2 posts up..got them down from 29600 to 28800

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Good find. Sounds like a beautiful machine. I look forward to every drive in mine. It's a great way to end a work day. Hope it treats you well.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Picking up a 2014 535D tomorrow.
xDrive
M-Sport
Cold weather package
Still has 4 months on factory warranty.. time to think if I want to extend it.
38K miles
White with Mocha Nappa interior.
I expect to see pictures when you pick it up ;)

That'd be the same combo I'd get color wise :cool:

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Just turned 100k miles on my 2014 535d last week and still going strong! :cool:
My 2012 X5 35d is only at 185k miles and climbing. :cool:

The X5 35d is nagging me about replacing the DPF. A little past 150k miles, BMW-specific code 452A starts being thrown and won't stay cleared. There is no Check Engine Light or any other indication. The 452A code is an advisory code for BMW service to inform the customer that the DPF is approaching its calculated end of life and they should schedule an appointment for a $4800 (!) replacement. Around 171k miles, code 4D4A gets thrown in addition to 452A and won't clear. The 4D4A code means that the miles on the car have exceeded the calculated life of the DPF because the car continued to be driven after getting the 452A code. A warning message about the DPF comes up on the iDrive screen and a yellow DPF symbol appears in the instrument cluster. I simply clear the iDrive message and drive on. The DPF warning on the cluster goes away after a few seconds. The DPF warnings come only once, at exactly 10 minutes after startup. I am monitoring the DPF data to verify that regerations are still occurring normally. I don't think I will need to do anything about the DPF until after 200k miles.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI

Love the car... it’s in phenomenal shape! Also has HUD which I didn’t initially know about.

First tank of gas averaged 35.5 at 80 mph about 75% of the time.

I’m driving it home from El Paso to Chicago area... 1500 miles.. halfway there so far. Time for a nap.

RaceChip tuner should be delivered by Monday :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Congrats, Justin. Thought I saw something about that. Got some bling going with those wheels. :D

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
Congrats, Justin. Thought I saw something about that. Got some bling going with those wheels. :D
yeah the bling :rolleyes:

still not sure how i feel about them, but it was tough to pass up this x5, as optioned. plus there's a 100% chance of me changing wheels anyway! :D

there's a decent facebook group "North American BMW Diesel Owners" with some pretty helpful guys. the modding will begin shortly after delivery...

justin

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think you and I are both asking about emissions readiness with a dpf delete. Seems like it might work, if you want to go that way. I've got new sensors and DPF tank now so I'm probably going to ride the RC2 right now. Jeff claims 330/505, so it's not too slow.

jstn

Veteran Member
TDI
gone to the dark side :)
there's a guy on e90post who has a fully deleted 335d on a jr 2.8 tune and claims he's passed emissions without an issue. i haven't spoken to him personally but i will be bugging him to learn more about what he's done. 600+ lb/ft with that setup! :eek:

justin

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
Just put a deposit down on a 2012 X5D. White on black, loaded with nearly every option except adaptive drive and 3rd row (neither of which I wanted anyways). Sport package, technology package, premium package, cold weather package, multi-contour ventilated seats.

Clean carfax with service history. Texas vehicle (Austin and Lubbock area its whole life, not flood damaged). Had new rear brakes done a couple months ago. Has 53,000 miles for a little over $22k. 4 brand new Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires too. I had to jump on this one fast, they supposedly already had a couple other calls about it. I've probably looked at every X5D listing in a 500 mile radius of me for the last 17 months and I've never seen one optioned like this.

Waiting on a new windshield, and for time to get financing together and get the wife fully on board. They just got it in on trade this week and hadn't even detailed it yet...which I was kind of glad for because I could get an idea of how it was cared for.

Crazy to think that these are going for the same price as a Ford Explorer with nearly comparable age and mileage.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
The ride quality in the 535D is great.. just did 1500+ miles from El Paso, Tx to Chicago burbs...

First tank of gas I was going mostly 80+mph.. speed limit in most of western TX is 80 mph :) Averaged 35.5 mpg
2nd tank of gas was about the same

I filled up a 3rd time but only burned off about 9 gallons while trying to drive under 75mph and on that fill up I averaged 38.5 mpg.

One downfall the car has is the left armrest in the door is too narrow.. I wish it was an inch wider.. otherwise I love the car. Nice large entertainment screen.. HUD which includes Navi in it.... cold winter package. Headlights are great and you feel secure driving at night.

I'll be enjoying this car for a while!

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
The ride quality in the 535D is great.. just did 1500+ miles from El Paso, Tx to Chicago burbs...

First tank of gas I was going mostly 80+mph.. speed limit in most of western TX is 80 mph :) Averaged 35.5 mpg

I filled up a 3rd time but only burned off about 9 gallons while trying to drive under 75mph and on that fill up I averaged 38.5 mpg.

One downfall the car has is the left armrest in the door is too narrow.. I wish it was an inch wider.. otherwise I love the car. Nice large entertainment screen.. HUD which includes Navi in it.... cold winter package. Headlights are great and you feel secure driving at night.

I hope you enjoy your new ride.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

I assume that really was DIESEL instead of GAS. :p :D

Congrats on your new ride! My 2014 535d turned 100k miles last week and still going strong. Reliability has been very good.

I recommend driving it like you stole it and don't baby it or use the car exclusively for short trips. Regularly get on the power and use it. The same rule applies to BMW diesels as to TDIs. I drive my BMWs in SPORT mode almost exclusively. "Drive it like you stole it" applies. :cool:

I hadn't really noticed the left armrest being too narrow. I won't own any 3-series because I don't fit in them very well. Too tight for me. I fit into an Mk4 TDI better. Even if I were thin as a rail the 3-series is still too tight. The left door pocket digs into my left leg and my right knee is jammed into the center console. I like the slightly more roominess of the 5-series.

Congrats on our purchase and enjoy your new ride! :cool:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Ha! I probably meant to type fuel... but after driving 1500 miles and half of it in a rain storm .. last night I was DONE!! :) lol

My RaceChip tune is coming in tomorrow... I'm sure that will put even a bigger smile on my face :D

To owners of 535D's and who use the USB port.. are you having issues with it now working right? I did a search online and it seems like with newer model phones you need to use BMW's USB cable. The problem I'm having is that it constantly looses connection and then reconnects again over and over.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
Pete, looking forward to hearing about your experience with the RaceChip tuning box - please do update us?

I had a similar issue with the USB port. My phone couldn't decide if it was connecting, charging, or what. A brand new Amazon basics 4" cable completely solved the issue. (I like the shorty because both the phone and cable fit neatly in the console and I can close the lid.) Hopefully it's that simple for you too.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Thanks about Amazon cord tip.. I'll look into it. For now I ordered a AUKEY flush USB car charger.. Bluetooth works just fine so I really just need the USB to charge my phone.

I installed the Racechip tune today.

Initial reaction..

It doesn't turn your car into a hot rod but it definitely wakes it up.

Under light throttle.. no difference.
Medium throttle... you notice a very slight difference.
Under wide open throttle.. car scoots.. gets up to 80mph rather quickly.

I was doing all my test runs on a long straightaway road with no cross streets or driveways right by my house... the only thing is that the road is all uphill at a pretty steep grade .. and I was still hitting 80mph when I was expecting maybe 60's.

With AWD off the line this car can definitely hold its own now.

I bought it during the last day of their Presidents Day sale.. so I saved $100.. Paid $599 for their GTS Black unit.

I like it bc it doesn't overwrite the factory program. I'm still under factory warranty and plan on purchasing an extended warranty for another 4 years so this is perfect!!

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
II started the Vegan diet on my 335d, I ordered Kosei K5 rims they are on the way, (16lbs each vs 28lbs oems) thxs to Peter for showing that pic with K5Rs i like the look on those rims, next my tires which would probably shave off 6 to 7 lbs vs run flats, total is going to be approx 68 to 75 lbs. So my car is basically on the Atkins diet right now,

And I ordered all around ceramic brake pads for it from Peter I'D parts, I've never had such a messy oem brakes pads from any cars that i owed in the past, they are the worst. I was cleaning the rims almost daly,, i can't wait to change them

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
II started the Vegan diet on my 335d, I ordered Kosei K5 rims they are on the way, (16lbs each vs 28lbs oems) thxs to Peter for showing that pic with K5Rs i like the look on those rims, next my tires which would probably shave off 6 to 7 lbs vs run flats, total is going to be approx 68 to 75 lbs. So my car is basically on the Atkins diet right now,

And I ordered all around ceramic brake pads for it from Peter I'D parts, I've never had such a messy oem brakes pads from any cars that i owed in the past, they are the worst. I was cleaning the rims almost daly,, i can't wait to change them
Getting your car on a diet is always a fun project.

I did that with a 2001 Z06 many years ago. After headers, CCW wheels, lighter brakes, tires, swapping power seat for manual track, 9 lb race battery.. I managed to get the car under 3000 lbs with the A/C and stock sound system in tact.

With a heads/cam 427 LS7.. 580rwhp it was a fun highway rocket.

Last edited:

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
I had a similar issue with the USB port. My phone couldn't decide if it was connecting, charging, or what. A brand new Amazon basics 4" cable completely solved the issue. (I like the shorty because both the phone and cable fit neatly in the console and I can close the lid.) Hopefully it's that simple for you too.

This is the AUKEY flush car charger I ended up getting.. This way I can charge a few things at a time.. it also bypassed the ignition so its constantly on.

jck66

Top Post Dawg
TDI
12 Passat SE / 14 BMW 535d
I've got one of those too, not sure of the brand. I have noticed that the usb (and possibly the socket) is not always off when the engine is off, but sort of is "awake" when the car is.

You are right that the bluetooth works great - I've found that if I am listening to something via USB then unplug the phone, the audio will pause and then pick up again via BT. Pretty cool.

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Took the RaceChip tuned 535D out tonight... finally to do some extensive testing.

Off the line your gut get sucked in.. with AWD this thing just takes off like a slingshot... just wish I had another 2K rpm to wind up before it shifts to 2nd... starting mid 2nd gear it feels almost just as strong.

Total stop light rocket!!

PeteZ06

Veteran Member
TDI
E320 CDI
Did a 275 mile road trip to WI today.. averaged 41mpg at 68 mph on the cars Info Center.

So far I've noticed that info center is very accurate.. I've been within .5mpg calculating at the pump 3 times driving back from El Paso.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
That sounds consistent with my experiences. A 300 mile trip up/down I95 usually results in mpg in the low-mid 40s, driving about 5 mph above the speed limit and with the usual traffic slow downs.

MAXRPM

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta and 99.5 Golf, 2015 Passat TDI,BMW 2
I put a mounted run flat tire/oem rim on the scale and it weighs 53.6 lbs then i weighed Kosei K5r with new dws tire and weighs 37.7 lbs so it would be 15.9 lbs less per wheel with Kosei rim, total weigh shaving all 4 wheels 63.6 lbs, not bad, now ill see what else i need to take out so it could still be on the Atkin diet.