What exhaust?

Homebrew01

TDI
01 Beetle TDI
I want to add some power to my 01 beetle. I'm looking into the exhaust, a quick search found a 2 1/2 turbo back exhaust pipe that can be run full straight pipe or with a muffler. Looking for options/suggestions. Thanks in advance.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
I want to add some power to my 01 beetle. I'm looking into the exhaust, a quick search found a 2 1/2 turbo back exhaust pipe that can be run full straight pipe or with a muffler. Looking for options/suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Beat bang for buck for power is a tune... that said, when was your timing belt and all associated components changed out?

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Best bang for your buck is going to be a tune. Modified exhaust will do little for performance. Well, it will drain the performance of your wallet if that is the kind of performance you are looking for.

sawmilldon

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Wagon
A tune and a turbo does wonders.

I put a Malone Stage 4, a VNT17 turbo and Kerma 3" exhaust on my wagon and it satisfied by performance itch. With the SB clutch, it was about $2500.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Make sure it's running properly (intake clean, timing set correctly, making boost it should, fueling properly) then get a good tune with no hardware changes. If that satisfies you it's the best bargain performance mod out there.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
In 2014, we made a very long road trip in the Vanagon (ALH engine with Malone Stage 1 Tune) pulling a popup camper. The engine averaged 26.544 mpg (GPS and Odometer verified). Burned 409.948 gallons over 10,881.9 miles.

In 2016, we made almost the exact same road trip pulling the camper with two additional adults and their luggage and stuff on board. The engine averaged 26.779 MPGs. Burned 443.213 gallons over 11,869 miles.

The only thing different with the engine was that I installed a larger exhaust system from the Turbo out and installed a new clutch. I made the exhaust change due to necessity opposed to seeking performance improvement.

Below, is the new exhaust which is larger and progressively larger from one section to the next all the way out. The previous exhaust was a cobbled mess that continued to be a nightmare in reference to supporting issues, breaking, etc.