fuel filter change advice

cocca

Veteran Member
hi all. long time no post. i have a simple question. is the replacement of the fuel filter as easy as it seems? or, is there some special trick?

it appears that the only thing to do is to remove the connections and replace them on the new one. is there any filter priming involved? anything that i am missing?

thanks.

Paul

Veteran Member
Make sure to fill the new fuel filter with clean diesel fuel, optionally mixed with a bottle of Power Service to clean the injectors. This keeps the pump happy and eliminates excessive cranking to purge the new filter.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
cocca
The fuel filter is as easy it looks...Yes, you do need to prime the new filter. Some members have used a vacuum device to draw fuel into the filter via the filter outlet line. Others have also used the pour & fill method...by filling the filter assembly through the diverter valve (Thats the thing with the micky mouse clip).

Lightman

Veteran Member
To reiterate a bit, it is as easy as it looks. Squeeze the two flat band hose clamps on the fuel lines and remove them. Its much easier to push them off with a wide flat blade screwdriver than to pull. Then simply remove the clip and pull straight up on the apparatus(doh!, i dont know what its called, but its so self explanatory when you look at it, you can't miss it.) and it will come out of the fuel filter. Then just loosen the screw on the side(while holding the filter!) and the filter will come right up and out. I filled mine with powerservice when I installed the new one, and the car cranked immediately and ran fine. Good luck!

Ron 33

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta GLS Atlantic Blue, Manual
One word of caution, the diverter valve will break if you are not careful in removing the hoses.

spoilsport

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Golf GLS Silver (Sold). 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon Tiptronic (daughter's)
The hoses do not have to be removed off the T-fitting. That assembly is re-used. In fact, I don't replace the o-rings, just apply a bit of vaseline to insure a good seal. I keep the ones that will come with the fuel filter as spares.

[ August 15, 2002, 21:22: Message edited by: spoilsport ]