P0401 Insufficient EGR Flow...

Laurence5905

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI and 2012 Jetta Sedan TDI
So I have a 2012 VW Sportwagen TDI that has begun throwing P0401 codes. It *has* had the emissions fix done already.

Everything I have read says the P0401 code is caused by a broken DPF that's allowing soot into the EGR system.

So, since the DPF was replaced as part of the emissions fix, it *should* be a simple matter of the VW dealer replacing it under warranty, right? Even though the car has 152K miles on it?

Those DPFs are designed to last *a minimum* of 120K miles, right? So even though we're past the extended "emissions warranty" of 80K miles, it should still be something that the dealer will replace, no? Because it was a brand-new part when we had the emissions fix done, and now it's broken -- and we *definitely* have not put 120K miles on it since that part was replaced...

Has anyone else had any experience getting the dealer to replace a DPF that has broken after the emissions fix was done?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
I got a new DPF 2 weeks ago. It was covered by the warranty. There are few more of us with the same story too.

See posts 207#, 208#, and 209# at the link below.
DPF replaced

PS: You didn't get a new DPF as part of the fix. Only some earlier cars (2009, and maybe a few early 2010 cars) with a one-piece exhaust got a new DPF as part of the fix.

Last edited: