www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Closed Thread

Old January 23rd, 2005, 14:06   #1
NateTDI
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 2000 Jetta, low 50's
Default Controversy surrounding VW suicide bomber ad

http://www.worldnetdaily.com/news/ar...TICLE_ID=42499
Old January 23rd, 2005, 14:15   #2
Curious Chris
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 47/42/38
Default Re: Controversy surrounding VW suicide bomber ad

I think it is a good ad typically funny.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 16:21   #3
Darren_J
Veteran Member

TDI(s): MK 4 TDI
Default Controversy surrounding VW suicide bomber ad

Just let it die the quick death it deserves. Controversy sells.
Old January 23rd, 2005, 17:59   #4
fredb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/43/38

I don't believe in violence.
Violence on tv is a cause to the problems we face today in society. over 100,000 people have died in iraq since
King george II started this whole mess.
Maybe you don't know anyone who has been killed by a car bomb.
This is exactly how the media softens our society to such abominations.
I am glad they are pulling this add.

insensitive jerks.

' Iraq ..home of the unknown exit strategy"

ok well maybe i laughed a little....
Old January 23rd, 2005, 20:40   #5
frugality
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 33mpg

IMHO, the insensitive jerks are the ones who think we should just stay in our comfy north american world while people like Saddam and his henchmen kill, rape, and terrorize the Iraqi public. Except for his Sunni minority ruling class, of course. Saddam started the mess, not King George. If he'd let the inspectors do their work and not block them or do the, "guess what I'm hiding behind my back" thing, we wouldn't be in this mess.

I'd like to see the brainwashed North Korean people liberated from their despotic leader, too. But maybe we're better off not thinking about it. We have more important things like chips and nozzles to think about. The heck with the rest of the world...not my problem....
Old January 23rd, 2005, 21:39   #6
Pevey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46

100,000 on the road to peace vs well over a million on the road to nowhere. Those people have a chance now, they have to choose to take it.
And if you call him King George around me while I'm not wearing my uniform I'd probably slap ya silly. Jerk.
Old January 24th, 2005, 01:28   #7
fredb
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 49/43/38

king george king george king george lol
well i guess iv'e been told.
Hey that 100,000 consisted of mostly innocent women and children . (collaterol damage) Well i guess it serves them
right for building thier homes on top of our oil.
Don't be so naive to believe this is liberation..
It's colonization and control .the best democracy money can buy.ok ok back to tdi's I am done playing boys.

peace
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:48   #8
TDIdenver
Veteran Member

fredb is from vermont....they threw rocks at a National Guardswoman walking through the capital city of Montpelier in uniform right after Bush sent troops to Iraq. What did that accomplish? Just had o get my 2 cents in, I'm done
Old January 24th, 2005, 06:51   #9
scooperhsd
Veteran Member

I thought that ad was kind of cute - VW Lupa CONTAINED an bomb...
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:10   #10
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Since this has been basically turned into a political thread, well, it actually sort of started out as one, I will add my unwanted two cents. First off, I am pretty well read on this whole Iraq thing. There are a couple of problems with many peoples viewpoint on this. First off, unless we all get rid of our cars and our houses, we need oil. As I understand it, most of America needs oil to operate, am I right here? O.K., I will proceed. The "We went there for oil argument" does not hold any water with me, because yes, that is part of the reason we went over there. We also went there to set up a central intelligence for the middle east. The reason 9/11 happened was very simple, we had no central intelligence in the region, so far I think these two points are enough to go over to Iraq. Third, we saved people in Germany because of human rights violations, why not go to Iraq and save these people? Then the next classic line emerges.... "Why Iraq? Why not North Korea? Why not Iran? etc" ad nauseum. Well, if we learned anything from Napolean and ******, it is not a good idea to spread troops to thin, you have to start somewhere. In my opinion, it is foolish to think that post 9/11 is the same as pre 9/11. My question to those who are against the war ( I don't like war either) is what was a President supposed to do? I know the common answer is "Go after Al Qaeda in Afghanistan!", but little do many know that Al Qaeda were actually trained in terrorist camps in Iraq, such as Salman Pak.
My point is that this "problem" that the Western World is both complicated, and cancerous. In my opinion, to sit back and relax is a mistake. Did G.W. Bush make mistakes? Yes. Is he my favorite? No. Should he have secured the Mexican borders? Yes. Listen, this guy is definitively not the best President we have ever had, but I can tell you that sitting back and hoping for the best, is not an answer. I have a cousin that was deployed in Iraq up until a couple months ago, so I know what it is like to have family there, but something needs to be done.
P.S. Should this thread be locked? Just going with the flow.
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:14   #11
TDIdenver
Veteran Member

Amen. Now lock the thread. :-P
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:28   #12
mgwerks
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/42

'Stroke -
Excellent post. I bet Peavy is with you on the Mexican border issue.

Peavy -
I'll hold your b&c while you do it.

All -
One of the things I have really enjoyed about the group here at Fred's is that the politico-religious involvement is kept to a dull rumble. It's not that I don't have strong feelings on these subjects, it's just that I get more than my fill on other boards (like the Org.). This is a great group of people with a fine history and heritage of help for others, and I hate to see it devolve into another petty skirmish-filled battlefield.
Old January 24th, 2005, 07:32   #13
gern_blanston
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 51/47/40 (Same as the CBR)

I'm with PowerStroke on this one, 100%. Very well said. I'm not a huge Bush fan, and there have obviously been some mistakes made, but
Quote:
sitting back and hoping for the best, is not an answer
If you have the choice, you must fight your battles somewhere other than on your own soil.
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:31   #14
Pevey
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 46

Well I guess I am a Bush fan. I've met him and he's just an average guy, he's not perfect, he doesn't have X-ray vision or see the future. He's trying to do a job, depending on people and knowing that large part of the population hate from the start, just because he has different views.

As for the war for oil statement, I seem to remember that we basically ran the bad guys out of Kuwait and we gave it back to the people that live there. War for oil was the protest then and we stole nothing.
If the press will ever report things honestly, everyone would know what horrible conditions existed over there before we went in. The President was right when he said this week that we should not support or do business with anyone who violates basic civil rights. I pray we can all stand behind a policy like that.
I had a long frustrating day at work yesterday. I should refrain from calling people jerks.
Old January 24th, 2005, 09:34   #15
POWERSTROKE
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2002 Golf

Quote:
Well I guess I am a Bush fan. I've met him and he's just an average guy, he's not perfect, he doesn't have X-ray vision or see the future. He's trying to do a job, depending on people and knowing that large part of the population hate from the start, just because he has different views.

As for the war for oil statement, I seem to remember that we basically ran the bad guys out of Kuwait and we gave it back to the people that live there. War for oil was the protest then and we stole nothing.
If the press will ever report things honestly, everyone would know what horrible conditions existed over there before we went in. The President was right when he said this week that we should not support or do business with anyone who violates basic civil rights. I pray we can all stand behind a policy like that.
I had a long frustrating day at work yesterday. I should refrain from calling people jerks.
Good post. That is what I was trying to say about Bush in a less eloquent manner.
Closed Thread