www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > Eastern USA

Eastern USA Local discussions for those in the Eastern USA. (Vermont, New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Maine, Washington, DC. New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Delaware, Maryland, Pennsylvania, Virginia, West Virginia)

Old August 15th, 2004, 07:26   #1
LWB053

Default Hurricane Charley

For those who didn't know, Mario (Jetta_Jedi) lives in Punta Gorda, which took the brunt of Hurricane Charley's landing. I heard from Mario this morning, and he's fine...without electricty and water, but doing well, and wanted me to pass it on.

Keith
LWB053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:41   #2
VWWV
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48hw/36town

Keith, Thanks for the update on Mario (JettaJeddi). I wasn't sure where he lived, thinking it was Sarasota. Glad to hear he is okay. If any projects for relief in the area are undertaken by the Fl West Coast TDI group, please advise. Paul
VWWV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:44   #3
LWB053

We were gearing up for it to hit us head-on, but at the last minute it turned inland on him. I guess it missed Jeff (WolfTDI) by only a few miles.

Keith
Old August 15th, 2004, 07:49   #4
TdiYardie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TBD

Glad to hear that Mario & Wolf are Ok!

Does anyone know if any other clubmembers live in the path of destruction?

And if there are any relief efforts let me know. Also I have a brand new generator that one of em can use untill power is restored. Pass it on!

Nigel
TdiYardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15th, 2004, 14:44   #5
Dave_Head
Veteran Member

We finally got power back at 2:30pm today, down since Friday night. The Jetta wagon was missed by the neighbors (BIG) oak to the tune of 2 feet. 3 feet of the back end was swallowed by the branches. I got in and drove it out of the mess. Minor scratches. Saturday we carved it it and other trees down the street up so we could get out, and we were luckier than most.
Dave - Oviedo FL (NE of Orlando).
Dave_Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 08:09   #6
LWB053

Glad to hear everyone is ok.

Hope the rest will chime in...there are a lot of TDIers that were in the path of that thing....
Old August 16th, 2004, 14:14   #7
PAPADUZA
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 41

Great to know all are well. Let us know if there is any way to assist.

Bob
PAPADUZA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 17:25   #8
Jetter_Sprinta
Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor

Fuel Economy: Better than a Prius ;-)

Quote:
Also I have a brand new generator that one of em can use untill power is restored. Pass it on!

TDIYardie, you are the man. Very generous offer. Find me at TDIFest and I'll buy you a beer !
My parents are in Bonita Springs and skirted the storm. My Uncle just built a place in Orlando, hasn't even been there a year yet. Luckily, he did o.k. too.
I wish you Floridians the best of luck!
Jetter_Sprinta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 17:38   #9
TdiYardie
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: TBD

Us dubbers got ta stick togedder.

Offer still stands.

Nigel
TdiYardie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 18:15   #10
matt20

TDI(s): Passat 2004
Fuel Economy: 42/38/25

I'm an occasional poster, and live in Orlando. We are also digging out of downed trees and power lines. I bought a Passat TDI about 3 months ago and have about 5000 miles on it. Because of power outages, many of the gas stations are closed. I still have 1/2 tank and I'm good for 300 miles. In addition, the diesel waits are pretty short. So maybe diesel has an advandgage in these types of emergency situations.

Oh, and the day after the storm, I used the oil extraction pump to change the oil. I had preordered the parts and oil from Impex. Thanks to all the forum members for sharing so much information. It helped a newbie like me.
matt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 18:39   #11
Ziptar
Veteran Member

TDI(s): TDI

Glad to here Mario is OK. I had been wondering about him.

All in All we were very lucky. We survived here without any major damage. I am told Englewood is the only area of Charlotte county that did not receive major damage. I cannot beleive how close the storm came to us and how bad the destruction is just 5-6 miles down the road. The eye wall passed just east of us, that was just enough to spare this area. Another 10 minutes at sea and we would be in the same boat as Port Charlotte and Punta Gorda. My Family and several others rode out the storm in a commercial building on Highway 776 It was scary. By noon that day I had come to grips the fact my house might no longer be where I left it. By 2:00 when they said it could be a Cat 5 and aimed right at us, we were just praying to survive.

I was shocked to find a downed palm tree, pool cage, fence. and missing shingles.

Power was on by 6:30 am Saturday, meanwhile freinds just a few blocks away were without until just today. Yesterday our house served as a Cooling off and Shower Station for just about everyone we know.

Keith I have been asked to go over to Punta Gorda tomorrow afternoon to try to check the status of a condo for someone out of town. If you can get ahold of Mario find out what he needs Ice, Water, Food, etc and I will bring it over.

For that matter anything anyone can do to helpout down this way plase do, even if it just donating to the Red Cross. Charley was a two day news story but from what I have seen, and I haven't even been to the bad areas people in that area of the county are going to be living wih Charley for a while. My daughters school will be closed for two weeks and used as a Shelter for those that lost everything. I went by today to see what was needed so I could start a collection drive where I work in Tampa. I was told there are 350 people there already and more expected by tonight.

BTW: My Vegoil Converted TDI survived the storm just fine, parked outside and everything.
Ziptar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 18:53   #12
jettafock
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 34.5 39 44

Gosh you guys got your power back on fast. I was out of power for 6 days in Baltimore last year after hurricane Isabel. I will be looking into how I can help out you guys down there.
Dan
jettafock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 18:56   #13
WolfTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf
Fuel Economy: Yes

Yeah, Keith, if you do have any contact with Mario, please let him know we'd love to help. I've been trying to call him, but can't get through.

Jeff
WolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16th, 2004, 19:02   #14
WolfTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2000 Golf
Fuel Economy: Yes

Some areas never lost power, others are looking at an additional 10 days or more. It is quite impressive to witness the support from everyone. The Red Cross has a waiting list for volunteers. My wife and neighbors have been trying for days. They are asking for money at this point. They say they will purchase supplies from local businesses, which is good.
Jeff
WolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2004, 10:17   #15
mrGutWrench
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 63 MPG/56/47 (2nd tank) '02 Sedab

Quote:
(snip) Does anyone know if any other clubmembers live in the path of destruction? (snip)
__. Not really in the path of destruction but the eye passed over us (eastern NC) on it's way north/out to sea. But by the time it got here, it was pretty well blown out. We had some wind and rain, but not a lot more than you'd expect with a summer thunderstorm. Then again, we've had five hurricanes with winds over 100 MPH in the last eight years, so anything that's still standing is pretty strong stuff anyway. Plus, the power co's have been cutting trees near power lines, strengthening poles lines and towers, etc. so our power is pretty stable (we didn't lose power during Isobel last year, either).

__. Good luck to the people in Florida. These things can really devastate lives.
'
mrGutWrench is offline   Reply With Quote