www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI 101

TDI 101 Got a simple/basic TDI question? Are you a newbie (new to the forums). Feel free to post your question here.

Old January 22nd, 2012, 17:05   #1
latitude98

Fuel Economy: avg. 37 mpg on 5% biofuel
Default Breeze on shifter hand when turning 2012 Jetta tdi

When I make turns in my 2012 Jetta tdi manual, i occasionally feel a cold breeze on my shifter hand. i know it's not coming out of the air vents because i have hot air blowing; it being the winter time and all. Does anyone else have this problem? It feels like it comes through the area where the shifter comes out of.
latitude98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 14:32   #2
latitude98

Bump. No ideas from anybody.... I had a 2010 Subaru wrx and never had this problem. A cold draft on my shifter hand when turning. Not coming from the vents but feels like it's coming from the area that the actual shift stick comes out of. I can't visible see any holes in the plastic or pleather wrap. Maybe a seal problem or thats just the way vw's are. I guess I'll be bringing it up to the dealer once I get my bluetooth module fixed.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 16:09   #3
Lug_Nut
TDIClub Enthusiast
Pre-Forum Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 116 mpg(e), 36 mpg gas, 100 mpg combined

My '96 and '97 Passats had a somewhat related issue: The air flow out of the dash vents and floor vents would cool on right turns and would warm on left.
Weird, eh?
Off ramps were cooler than driving straight and it wasn't related to road speed, because rotaries would produce a warmer air flow than the same speed on the straight leading to and from it.
Keep turning left by going 'round and 'round and it would remain as if the temperature knob were turned to a warmer temp. Empty parking lot right turning circles were as if the temp were turned cooler.

Svante Arrhenius 1896

Cogito ergo soy (I think, therefore: Biodiesel)
Lug_Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2012, 16:14   #4
dieselpony
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: Too soon to tell MPG

I notice cool air on my left hand from the door speaker, but not from around the shifter.
Old January 23rd, 2012, 16:59   #5
latitude98

Thanks for your thoughts. I contacted the dealer and they are going to take a look. Will post what they find if anything.
Old January 24th, 2012, 20:07   #6
latitude98

Well of course the dealer couldn't replicate the problem. I guess I'll just deal with the nuisance. I hope it doesn't lead to a major problem later on.
Old January 25th, 2012, 06:49   #7
VeeDubTDI
Good Ol' Boy
TDIClub Enthusiast

Fuel Economy: 130 MPGe

Open up the center console and check the insulation around the shifter. It's possible that it's not installed correctly or there's a gap in it somewhere.

This won't cause long term damage.
Old January 25th, 2012, 12:42   #8
Powder Hound
Veteran Member

The solution to your problem is to keep both hands on the wheel except when you are actually changing gears. The shifter is a terrible place to rest your hand - it causes shifter fork and gear wear and can lead to an early death of the transaxle.

Yes, yes, I know you are the only person in the entire universe that puts absolutely no stress or pressure of any kind on the shifter knob when you rest your hand there, but really, just play along and set a good example for others.
Powder Hound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16th, 2013, 13:00   #9
flyerchic2000

Default Yes. I feel this too!!

I have a 2011 tdi. I have felt this same breeze you speak of. Please see my thread posted in March 2012 http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=345845

Did you ever figure out what it was?
flyerchic2000 is offline   Reply With Quote