Summer vacation from Buffalo NY to Cape Cod this summer!

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
I'm going to be going on a summer trip (prolly in July or August) to Cape Cod with my best friend and his gf, and perhaps if I have a sugar-momma by then she'll come as well.

Input, ideas, hotel ideas, and anybody else that wants to meet up during my trip and travel with us or anybody that wants to meet us at the beach is MORE than welcome to attend!

Last summer my and my lady, my best friend and his lady all went to Carolina Beach and we had an absolute BLAST.

I'm just giving good notice so the ideas can flow in and perhaps more TDI'ers will wanna meet up/convoy over and have some summertime fun!

Matt

bigwoode

Veteran Member
TDI
Hunting - previous 2001.5 Jetta
Nice, should be an awesome trip for you guys, I love driving cross state/through the mountains!

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Right now, according to the Interwebs, we are enjoying balmy weather compared to you: +24F vs. -2F. It will be a little different in July, but so will the traffic, sorry to say. Good thing TDIs use almost no fuel idling in stall-n-crawl.

Kidding aside, be sure to think about when you plan to arrive. A summer Friday at 5 pm would be a really bad idea. There are only two ways on/off the Cape by road and they are both narrow bridges over the Cape Cod Canal.

As a full-time resident since 1970, I actually try to escape the crowds here during summer, preferring the Adirondacks, but if I'm around would be up for a GTG. Not sure what kind of vacation you're seeking, but my general advice is to get offshore -- that's what's still beautiful and unique about this place.

-dan

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
If you're a baseball fan, definitely catch some Cape League games. I always enjoyed the games better than minor league games. Do a whale watch.

The Lower Cape is usually a little less crowded, but farther from the touristy areas.

Don't let the north/south signs for Rt 28 confuse you too much. It only make sense for about the first 15 miles of the highway, from Bourne to Falmouth. It then turns NE, E, and N but is still labled South, and vice-versa.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Hey guys! Sorry about my forced tdiclub vacation, but alas I have returned. As far as our vacation goes, hell we would be happy sitting on the beach, doing a cookout, tossing a football and swimming all day. We might bring my buddies 300lb tent and just sleep out on the beach; I'm not sure yet.

Baseball is sweet; the north RUNS baseball in my opinion. But a GTG would be awesome! I wouldn't be disappointed if it didn't happen but just being on the beach is a form of relaxation to me.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Here's another camping alternative. Not within walking distance of salt water, but definitely within even crawling distance of lots of fresh water ponds.

it's a gorgeous state park -- only a few miles from my house and a place I have hiked, swam and mountain biked for years.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/nick.htm

Camping on the beach in July or August, other than at a designated campground, is just not going to happen, sorry to say.

-dan

Last edited:

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
The only problem with Nickerson is that it's always full and in one of the busier areas. Sure, it's closer to the action, but who wants to listen to the traffic on Rt 6 all night?

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
The only problem with Nickerson is that it's always full and in one of the busier areas. Sure, it's closer to the action, but who wants to listen to the traffic on Rt 6 all night?
True. I keep forgetting there's a summer Nickerson and then the one I go to. ;-)

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Here's another camping alternative. Not within walking distance of salt water, but definitely within even crawling distance of lots of fresh water ponds.

it's a gorgeous state park -- only a few miles from my house and a place I have hiked, swam and mountain biked for years.

http://www.mass.gov/dcr/parks/southeast/nick.htm

Camping on the beach in July or August, other than at a designated campground, is just not going to happen, sorry to say.

-dan
Appreciate the further advice. Why is camping on the beach not gonna happen? Not allowed, or too many people?

Highway noise? I dont know about this one.

I think what we ultimately want to do is get a really sweet hotel room thats relatively CLOSE to the beach, then hang out on the beach most of the day... only moving to obtain more food/drink.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Appreciate the further advice. Why is camping on the beach not gonna happen? Not allowed, or too many people?
Too many people for you to be able to get away with it; it ain't allowed and they do patrol even the remote areas in summer.

Highway noise? I dont know about this one..
There are numerous campsites in Nickerson, many of which are far from the highway. You will need a reservation ... at any campground here in July/August.

Right now we're acquiring up to 10" of snow overnight, so the highway noise should be very minimal [grin].

-dan

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
hahaha @ 10" of snow and campground noise.

Well if we cant sleep on the beach we'll def want a nice hotel with all the amenities. Though, I'll talk camping over with them... we do love camping.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Before shelling out for a hotel/motel, which will end up being (in my opinion) too much like a motel in Anywhere, USA, try something like the following -- a cottage rental. This one is not one I know personally, but the neighborhood (Town of Dennis, northside) is fantastic, with great food within walking distance and good beaches too:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-15766283-gull_cottages-i

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
You may want to start shopping for a hotels now.
Holy**** is it that busy in those parts?? I've been to some top notch beaches on the eastern seaboard and down south.. am I in for a treat or something in Cape Cod??

Before shelling out for a hotel/motel, which will end up being (in my opinion) too much like a motel in Anywhere, USA, try something like the following -- a cottage rental. This one is not one I know personally, but the neighborhood (Town of Dennis, northside) is fantastic, with great food within walking distance and good beaches too:

http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-15766283-gull_cottages-i
Good idea. I like the idea of a cottage!

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Holy**** is it that busy in those parts?? ...
Yup. Population right now is about 230,000 spread over 15 towns. August, multiply that by a little less than three and cram 'em all onto Rt. 28 when it rains [g].

That's why I like to go hide in the Adirondacks.

-dan

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Holy**** is it that busy in those parts?? I've been to some top notch beaches on the eastern seaboard and down south.. am I in for a treat or something in Cape Cod??

Good idea. I like the idea of a cottage!
I'm probably exaggerating a little, but it's a very popular vacation destination.

One of my co-workers has a house on the Cape that he rents out. I don't know what his rates are or how many people it accomodates, but I'll get you his contact info if you're interested.

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Oh I'm certainly interested!
Thanks for the heads-up guys. The adirondacks are fun... but I have this fetish for nice beaches. And me and my best friend have decided to travel to a new beach every summer, starting last year.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
i get an annual national parks pass almost every year. i think they are about $100/yr now, but you get into any national park for free (well worth it!). this includes free parking at the national seashore on the outer cape (nauset light, coast card, marconi...) great beaches! and yeah, in the busy summer time, you can forget camping on the beach :/ too many people around and you won't be able to get away with it without getting in trouble.

the best time to come here is after labor day in september when it's still plenty warm to go to the beach, but the summer crazies and traffic isn't so bad. the real key to enjoying time here is finding a place to stay that isn't $$$$$$ and in a convenient area so as to not be stuck in route 28 traffic. one of my favorite motels i've stayed at in the past is the "atlantic breeze" in eastham. not sure what their summer rates are, but it's a nice little place and one of the most reasonably priced places, and minutes away from the national seashore - also a very nice bike path all along the way going north/south.

danham

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Seeing as you are a beach guy, the advice about being near Nauset, Coast Guard and Marconi is right on if you want to stay on the eastern portion of the Cape -- the best part IMHO.

If you want great beach on the western half, check out Sandy Neck, shared between Barnstable & Sandwich.

-dan

85_305

Banned
TDI
1999.5 Jetta 5spd
Ouchhhh. You know, it's funny you mention that. Last summe me and my girl, my best friend and his girl, all saddled up and went to Carolina Beach. Well, me and my girl had sex in the water in broad daylight.

Annnnnyways, a few hrs later we get back to the hotel room, and my poor peangyleangy is hurting. Bad. So I go to the bathroom to assess. It's raw. It looks like I had itched it with a handful of sand. So I'm guessing that as the waves came in, so did the sand.. and it ended up sanding the wrong thing :eek:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Ouchhhh. You know, it's funny you mention that. Last summe me and my girl, my best friend and his girl, all saddled up and went to Carolina Beach. Well, me and my girl had sex in the water in broad daylight.

Annnnnyways, a few hrs later we get back to the hotel room, and my poor peangyleangy is hurting. Bad. So I go to the bathroom to assess. It's raw. It looks like I had itched it with a handful of sand. So I'm guessing that as the waves came in, so did the sand.. and it ended up sanding the wrong thing :eek:
Wow, guy. Way too much information for a car forum.

"The better part of valor is discretion." - Shakespeare

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Stop by and say Hi. We're on the way to the Cape--Duxbury now, but probably in Pembroke by then.

I've lived here pretty much all my life but because we're so close to the Cape I don't have much in hotel recommendations. But my favorite towns are Woods Hole, Osterville, and Wellfleet. And you should set a day aside to take the ferry to Martha's Vinyard or Nantucket.